Home Theater Setup Question

JesseNYC

Greetings...

I am trying to round out my HT setup and I can not decide on a surround sound speaker. My current setup is as follows;

Front L&R - KG-4

Center - SC-1

Sub - KSW10

I know that the obvious choice would be the SS-1 speakers. I am not certain that I want that speaker simply because I also play music and I may not like the sound that a WDST speaker produces while playing music. I am considering the SB-2 or the SB-3 instead.

Am I making a mistake?

TIA,

Jesse

Jesse,

Welcome to the board! You might want to consider looking on ebay for some used KG 1s or something like that. I prefer the direct radiating speakers in the rear myself, especially for music. You could also use KG .5 (smaller) or KG 1.2 and KG 1.5 (both the same as the KG 1). Hope this helps.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Thanks for the reply T-man but I have a follow-up question as well. I looked at the specs for the hardware you recommended and they are all very similar to the newer SB line. Why shouldn't I get one of those new models instead of the older used models?

Just wondering...

Thanks.

This message has been edited by JesseNYC on 10-16-2001 at 10:20 PM

Jesse - Does your receiver support two sets of rear speakers, one for HT and one for music? Some do, and then you could have the best of both!

DD2

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

Jesse,

This is just my opinion but....

The KG line will better timbre match your fronts. They will also look like your fronts (KG1 and KG4 have the same grill, finish and such), thus providing a better aesthetic appearance. Many also believe the KG line to be superior to the newer stuff (I do). Lastly, they are cheaper to boot! Just gotta be patient to find some.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Thanks for all of the great input. For the heck of it, I listened to the SB series speakers yesterday and I loved the sound. But I am looking for the best match so I guess I'll look out for the KG series bookshelf speakers. I see someone selling the .5 series on Ebay for 125.00. Perhaps I'll hold out for the larger models.

Are they any other places to purchased used equipment? Do the Klipsch forum have a Marketplace group?

Thanks again.

$125 is too much for the .5s I've seen all the bigger ones sell for about the same price. Expect to pay between $125 to $150 for a great pair of KGs. Ebay is typically the best place. We've been asking for the Klipsch Klassifieds for a while now.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Yea, I thought for .5's that might be to much too.

I'm putting together an H/T setup for my son. Giving him my KG4's, got a KV-1 for center, he can upgrade that if he chooses. Trying to hold out on surrounds until I can find an affordable pair of black KG 1.5's. Missed a nice mint pair a few weeks ago, went for $145.00. So, would that have been a good price for mint 1.5's?

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-18-2001 at 08:40 PM

Jesse and Shape,

I have a mint pair of KG1s in oiled oak with original mint boxes. These are basically new. I can't find one flaw on these things.

If you guys are interested in these to match your KG4's I would be interested in trading them for a pair of mint med oak KG 1.5s to better match my Med oak 5.5s. I'll trade straight up if you can find them in mint cond with box.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron