Shut off of Denon 3802

Davec

Recently installed a Denon 3802 with my system (4 KLF 20's, KLH 12 sub, C7 Center). The one problem is that at times it automatically shuts off (actually powers off). Not sure if I have a setting wrong or something connected incorrectly. Could it be volume level shutoff not set right? Otherwise, sounds great. Would appreciate any feedback.

This could be numerous things!!

1 are speaker connections at the amp touching together?

2 Are the speaker connections at the speakers touching?

3 check the same, on the center

4 if they are ok, the problem is intermitten, take back, or replace the reciever!

The reciever has and overload relay, it shuts the power down due to a short in the reciever, or in the speaker wires!

You might have gotten a lemon!

Ill see what the other BB members think, im courious about this also!

Regards jim

I have only had Denon 3802 for 2 weeks, so whole thing is recent setup. It seems to happen the most when volume is high (though I have not figured out exact level yet). I am just hooking up TV today, so I may be able to get better idea from on screen setup (I had done this 2 weeks ago with temporary tv, but have not been able to check settings again.

Davec - I had (and to the best of my knowledge still have) the same problem with my Denon 3300. DD2 and others here may have remember my posting about it. Here's what I did to fix the problem (it was by accident and not intentional) and as crazy as it may sound, I'd give it a shot.

On the back of the Denon, swap the leads to the surround speakers. IOW, for the right rear, take the positive lead from the speaker and hook it up to the negative output on the Denon and take the negative lead from the speaker and hook it up to the positive output on the Denon. Then do the same for the left rear. Turn Denon on and see what happens.

I'm sure folks reading this are rolling their eyes in disbelief or laughing their arses off. I don't understand it either, but it worked for me and I'm not questioning it any longer.

Tom Adams

Tom - I remember your lengthy hair-pulling sessions over this Smile.gif I wonder if, when you swapped the positive/negative leads on the back of the Denon, you somehow inadvertantly removed a teeny-tiny piece of stray wire that might have been causing a short in your system that was only noticeable by the Denon when you cranked it, causing it to shut down only at higher volumes...

DD2

Hey Doug -

That is a logical conclusion/solution (as opposed to my black magic solution). Unfortunately, this (my?) condition is repeatable. In fact, when I brought home the new Mitsu Widescreen, I re-did the ends of my speaker wires and terminated them with individual banana plugs. I also inspected the Denon's speaker terminals for any "stray" wires. I then did the 9v battery test thing to determine speaker polarity (good ged...this is starting to sound like a controlled lab experiment Smile.gif). I then hooked up the surrounds positive to positive and negative to negative. Powered up the Denon and the minute the volume was up to -20 IIRC, POOF - it shut down. Switched the leads, powered up the Denon and everything works up to ear bleed level. Swap the leads back, power up the Denon and POOF - it shuts down.

Makes absolutely, positively no damn sense at all. :-/

Tom Adams

Tom - That's too wild. But the key question is "did the rats jump when you applied power to the Denon, or did they continue eating the cheese?"

Seriously, not trying to dredge up the painful past, but does this happen only with one particular speaker being connected or will either speaker connection cause this?

DD2

Tom - I have the 3802 - and I don't have to swap the leads to get mine to play at ear bleed levels. It could be any one of the following:

1) Your receiver is wired internally wrong. Maybe they had a new employee hook it up on the day yours left the manufacturer. Smile.gif Have you tried taking the receiver back and getting a new one? That's what dealers are for! Maybe there is some weird short in the receiver itself.

2) Your rear speakers are wired internally incorrectly. Have you tried hooking up your front speakers to the rears and seeing if it still shuts down? Have you tried it with only the surrounds in and see if it shuts down? Just try and figure out what combination it is that causes it.

3) Have you tried running a new set of cables to the surrounds - to make sure your current cables aren't shorted out somewhere? Maybe there is a short somewhere in the system, and wiring out of phase allows the Denon to handle it. I remember someone having a problem where it turned out they had nailed a nail into their in wall speaker cable - causing a short, and their receiver to shut off like yours. You shouldn't have to live with wiring your speakers out of phase - because now they are out of phase with your front speakers.

DaveC, I bet you had a stray wire, and it was causing a short. My friend has a Denon 1801, and it was doing the same thing. I told him to check his connections, and sure enough, there was two wires crossing, causing a short that only had a problem at high volumes. Almost always it is a short that causes these things to happen.

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)

Monster Power Conditioner HTS1000

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects