Khorns for sale

Hemihorn

I've wanted to take the Khorn plunge for a long time and I've finally got two corners (one good, one fair) so here we go. I'm hoping to get them next week, although the weather may not cooperate. I know they're going to sound great, but I also liked the look of the oak and cane. Unfortunately I won't be able to set them up for a few weeks due to (seemingly endless) renovations. It's going to tough waiting it out. I'll probably sell my Cornwalls and La Scalas and will post something here on the forum soon. Any words of wisdom for a new Khorn owner? [:D]

Good deal!![<:o)][D]

Enjoy!!!!!!!![:D]

Rick

Scott - if hell freezes over and you want to find them a new home some day, please put me on the list. Serious.

You got it Meagain!

You know I bought these from a guy in the Chicago burbs about a year and half ago. He had them for sale on Ebay at $2K for a couple of weeks and they didn't sell. I actually got them for a couple hundred less than that. Maybe I shouldn't have told you that[:)]

Scott - Don't say that! They were here around me? LOL Shoot me now.

Correct - you shouldn't have told me that! Gah!

That color combo is exactly what I'm needing decor-wise. Did you drive all the way out here for them? They look minty. I really think they need to come back home to Chicago someday. [;)] 1981's too. LOL

Seriously, you guys have been on top of this far longer than I. Are these golden oak types with the softer grain look, very rare? The cane is nice but that can be tweaked if a pair with the right wood lacked it. Is the golden oak type unusual-ish? Must be. I mostly see dark walnuts which can be quite imposing on a room. I have pretty yellow color-washed walls and they'd look so 'right'.

I've got some possible good news for you, Meagain. In re-grilling the top bin of my second KHorn, I paid attention this time to what's underneath. Guess what? Darker stained Birch. Hmmmmm.

Either I have a set built of parts, or somebody found a way to remove dark stain to be re-stained a lighter color. Hopefully, it's the latter for you since that could open up some possibilities.

Now, any word on the amp? I'm for real. Or is where it's at not convenient? I'm not familiar with all the suburbs around.

Jeff, I'm convinced the seller of your khorns married the top of one style to the bottom of another for resale. :)

You can bleach wood to take it down to raw. I've done it twice with good results. Started with proper wood bleach, then got impatient and used household bleach. (don't laugh). The piece was a maple chest of drawers with alot of birds-eye. It was stained RED. Blazing red (probably a gel stain). The bleach made it nice & white then I restained a pretty warm/golden tone.

I now wonder if that would work on dark oak khorns. To go from the color of Scotts floor, to restain like the golden khorns in his pic. I think so.

Jeff, I'm convinced the seller of your khorns married the top of one style to the bottom of another for resale. :)

You can bleach wood to take it down to raw. I've done it twice with good results. Started with proper wood bleach, then got impatient and used household bleach. (don't laugh). The piece was a maple chest of drawers with alot of birds-eye. It was stained RED. Blazing red (probably a gel stain). The bleach made it nice & white then I restained a pretty warm/golden tone.

I now wonder if that would work on dark oak khorns. To go from the color of Scotts floor, to restain like the golden khorns in his pic. I think so.

Interesting to know about wood bleaching. I'll keep it in mind. Was it hard work or wipe on/wipe off?

Find me a nice AVR435 for $400, and I think I'd go for it. Anybody know where I can find one for this price - or am I unrealistic?

No, not hard to work with but you have to be careful cuz it can raise the grain, etc.

I think I used a wood conditioner prior to stain to ensure even absorbtion.

You can practice on that muddy brown office door you have. (Harman is on ebay with refurbs & prices range from under $400 with an avg. of 450-460. New seem to be going for more than what you can get at an online store. JR.com ($549 free s/h) )

Meagain,

If you have enough patience, perhaps a year or so, you'll probably see another pair of Oak with the cane. I've seen two pair since I bought mine (this auction makes three). The lighter color really does help them disappear into the corner I think.

I had these crated and shipped with all my fingers crossed. Used a professional firm. Think it cost around $500. They are in great shape. Original owner never moved them. Just two small veneer chips near the bottom, probably from a vacuum cleaner.

Scott - that Khorn looks terrific, and very snug in that corner. I suspect that mine are going to look pretty much like yours. Although I've yet to see them 'in person', the light oak and cane combination really makes for a great look. And we know the sound will be terrific.