How long can a crt TV last? (or: is that old thing ever gonna blow so i can get a new hdtv?)

jdm56

My music room TV is a twenty-one year-old Yamaha 26"er (built by NEC). I'm getting a lot of resistance from the woman of the house about buying a new hdtv until it dies. (we only have five TV's in the house so i don't know what her beef is.[;)]) So, the question is how long can this thing last? Does anybody have an older functioning TV than this? ...I may have to summon the ghost of Elvis to pop a cap in it's tube for me.[:D]

I've got a 20" MGA in the bedroom that I bought in 1984. Still has a great picture. Beats yours by a year, but I'm sure it's not the oldest.

James

My son has a 19" Sony Triniton in his bedroom that I bought in 1982. Picture still looks the same as when it was new. Amazing that it still is functioning pefectly since there have been many nights he has left it turned on all night.

Well taken care of TV can last a long time...if it was one designed without problems ....like some older TVS get....

I had 25 year old Zenith...that was finally driving me nutz enough to get rid of it.... when I first turned it on..the picture would be all squirrely.... and the older it got...the longer it took for the picture to go to normal....

better thought...

How old is your Stove? Dishwasher, Washer & Dryer, Garbage Disposal, Refridgerator...

these appliance can last forever....

We have a little 13" with a dial tuner. I don't know for sure how old it is but it has been in the humidity and salt air of Honolulu for years and still works. I think it does not have a coax cable input in the back if that is a clue. As Steve Colbert says: "Don't touch that dial! And if your tv has a dial, get a new one!"

I than a Sony KV1212 from the early 70s that is still going strong. It is in the garage now. I did go through and replace all the electrolytic capacitors at one point because the picture wasn't as nice as I liked, though. Fixed it right up.

Lamp life of rear projection DLP and LCD sets is what has kept me from buying one. Maybe the ones lit with diodes that are just showing up on the market will be the answer.

an eternity COMPARED with the new LCD/PLASMA TVs. Projection models at least. have fairly reasonable replacement options. People that are used to the old CRT tube longevity, are in for a rude awakening concerning LCD/PLASMA.

With the LCD and plasma sets you're paying for the convenience of a TV you can hang on the wall (and in terms of plasma, a picture that cannot be beat by any other currently available display technology IMO). Sure it may not last as long as a tube, but I honestly couldn't care less. By the time a Pioneer Plasma goes out the window, I'm fairly sure we'll either have holographic projection or at least something along the lines of 96,000 x 54,000p. As Fry from Futurama put it when asked why he didn't want to go out, "But this is HDTV. It has better resolution than real life."