check out this article on the new DLP's

customsteve01

The SED tech seems pretty cool, and from everything I've read about it's Display at CES it looks better than Plasma.. HOWEVER it's more expensive than Plasma's and it gonna be awhile before they can produce it to the point to make it affordable for the average Joe. And since it's come to market so late they are always gonna be playing catch up in the price war. 3 Years ago a 50" Plasma would cost you about 8-10 grand, you can get one now for less than 3G's SED has a LOT of catching up to do, and with the prices dropping like crazy, it's got it's work cut out.

Unfortunately that is the sad reality about a lot of new technology. Look at the car! It is mass produced so cheeply after 100 years that any alternative is going to be way expensive until until it matures, and it may not last. I bet Toshiba is looking for partners and is planning huge low cost production in China. Toshiba is about the only producer that does NOT have its own in house techology. It does not make LCD pannels, No plasma, No DLP/LCD/LCOS technology of its own.Their forray into LCOS a few years back flopped miserably to the point that the industry thought it was totaly dead and JVC and Sony refuse to call Idla and SXRD Lcos. If it cannot make SEDs work, it may not have much of a future because it cannot vertically integrate to have control of the business.

But I love all these alternatives. 10 years ago you really only had crt, now you have plasma, lcd, lcos-dlp-lcd projection, and now SED. Love the competition! who would have though! Remember when flat panel plasma was THE future technology that would make our living rooms look like futuristic space station lounges!

Go Toshiba GO!

I wonder if the TI Led source for he DLP eliminates the need for a color wheel. If you can instantly turn on and off the RGB color of the led, then you do not need a color wheel. TI article on LED lighting in DLP shows a diagramm of a DLP systeme with 3 indivitual led sources and NO color wheel! :

http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/images/dynamic/white_papers/167_LED_TV_white_paper.pdf