FS: Philips DVD 963SA DVD/SACD Player

whell

This is the one that has had all the well - deserved hype on this forum and elsewhere on the net, primarily for its ability to upsample CD's. If you've not heard what upsampling can do for your CD's, the 963 is a real eye-opener. Great SACD playback as well.

This was my DVD player in my HT system, and also used when I wanted to listen to SACD's and CD's. I've had it about a year, and it is in perfect cosmetic and operational condition. It is now available since I no longer have an HT system, and I have a 2nd 963 for my 2 channel system.

This player is stock, no mods. The remote was used once to program commands into my primary learning remote control. Original owners manual, and I'm fairly sure I've still got the original box.

$225 shipped within continental US.

Mark is at the plate right now, and I've sent a PM as he requested. If Mark decides to pass, Johnny dB is in the on deck circle.

Thanks to all for the positive comments about the 963. I wish I could hang on to it, but expenses are forcing me to "thin the herd".

Mike

This is one sweet deal. Great player for the money. Uses a Philips 12c tray. Has a 192 hz upsampler, plays MP3's and SACD. Instaling the Blackgate is really easy. Really nice construction too in this price range. Heavy power cord. I wish the AH! was based on this unit instead of the Marantz (Of course, Philips would have to still be making them!)

According to Leok, use the outputs from the surround. Leo, what is the value of the Blackgate cap? I forget.

I have one collecting dust that is just waiting to be hooked to my forthcomming Panasonic Digital receiver and Belles. Should be a nice combo that will serve double duty as HT.

Grab this one up guys, they are getting harder to find.

Chris

I had someone flake on me recently too. Hate wasting my time. Second buyer was much better. Received teh check on Thursday and shipped it today.

As far as this player, anyone looking for a CD player on the cheap, jump on this unit. Install a $25 capacitor in the power supply (very easy to do!) and you have one hell of an upsampled CD player that will play multiple formats and a DVD to boot. Nice construction too.

Adding the Philips to my system was a major turing point for me. The tube amp and K Horns finally sang, grain was gone and bass improved drastically. Just a great upgrade!

Chris

This is still available. Both individuals who indicated a willingness to buy have not responded to PM's or emails.

Mike, I did respond to you from home the night you sent the PM. My apologies if you did not get it. I told you I had to pass but to let me know if JohnnyDB passed just in case my financials changed. That still stands as I may have resources later this week, provided no one else has jumped on this great player!

Mark

Blackgate mod uses a Blackgate 150 uF; 350 vdc, "VK" 30mm x 25 mm, PC Mount Type.

You also do not want a shock from teh old cap. Buy a 5k ohm, 1/4 watt or 1/5 watt resistir to bleed off the stored voltage before you remove it.

The Blackgate goes on the circuit board on the right side of the unit. Make sure you remember which side of the old blue one is positive and which is negative. Not a bad idea to take a few digital pics before you remove the old one.

Chris