Can you Identify this component?

Cornman

The photo your looking at Is of one of the circuit boards of an HK-930 reciever. I just bought this off of ebay, seller said It worked, but Its DOA for me. The panel lights up, but the transformers are cold(do not warm up). There Is no sound, not even static, from any source. In the photo there are 6 slotted cubes, 2 on the outer ends are very clean, but the 4 In the middle have a crusty carbonized coating although they do not smell burned. Can anyone tell me the name of these cubes, and would they kill all output If bad?

Thanks,

Cornman

post-20502-13819281356408_thumb.jpg

Power supply. Power supply. (power supply).

Smoking means smoking, and you ain't got no smoking, because you ain't got no power supply.

Kidding aside, if you had power available to the output transistors (the 3-lead "boxes", you would have at least a rather bad smell, unless they were both open rather than shorted, which is somewhat unlikely (but possible I guess) for both channels. In that case, the seller knew beforehand, and you got taken.

If my deduction is correct, then something failed in the power supply during shipping, and the seller had no control over that. However, you still got taken, but by inept and savage baggage handlers instead. It's happened to me.

DM

There are fusses on the bottom and top on the inside make sure the fusses are good first, i got a 930 i will go check tommorrow for you to see where the fusses are exactly if you want.The HK430 has a alot of fusses to protect it i know it has 3 on outside 5 on inside i have not taken bottom panel off my 930 yet to look.Dont give up on it yet....it is a tough reciever.Rick

A 930 has only three fuses, all on the back.

If any are blown, wire a 75W lightbulb in series with one side of the line cord before replacing and firing it up.

I always do the lightbulb thing with any piece of unknown equipment, saves heartache and sorrow.

Did you bother to wire the pre-out to the main in (use a patch cord)?

Here's the service manual (for technician use only).

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/service%20Manual/HK930%20sm.pdf

Those are the pre-driver transistors. The main outpu transistors are mounted on the main heatsink. With the manual provided by fellow member you should be able to identify what is what.

The pre driver transistors are rarely the culprit.

First try the fuses. There are Power supply fuses and speaker fuses. That should be enought to protect things.

I do not think what you see is "carbon" from burning. The transistors are in metal cans and have relatively low currents flowing thru.

They would burn up inside without showing signs of too much stress on the outside. This is an old unit. If it was used regularly, the low heat from the transistor over many decades would be enough to discolor many glues or other compounds holding the heatsinks to the transistors.

Don't be too alarmed. you got a nice amp and even if it is output or other transistors, they are easy and cheap to replace.

Trying to put a light bulb in series with power cord is an OK idea. I use a standard rotary light dimmer in series and slowly turn the knob while measuring power supply voltage.