Name That Engine.....

Gilbert

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The aerial shot you see is northern Michigan, Traverse City to be exact. Little finger region. Leelanau peninsula on left, Old Mission peninsula middle, facing north, west bay left ,east bay right, open lake michigan water north at the end of the peninsula. The water is that blue like a sapphire. the blue angels come here for the Cherry Festival, ( cherryfestival.org ) check it out ,thats a hell of a party on the waterfront. There is many cool boats out there, little to big. Yes the boat is thru hull ,4 in stainless and loud. Bravo one drives. Stainless props, 70+ mph. I dont live far from the launch. There is a stretch of beach thats a great place to anchor and party. I'll leave it in anchored if the weather is good and drive down to it during the week, lots of boats do that. We'll spend the night on weekends .Not sure how many hours on the boat, engines are around 100 hrs

Haven't been to Traverse City since the summer at Interlochen summer camp.....

It's still there oldtimer. I've done alot of work out there paving. Here's a shot to bring back some memories. Taken from behind the theater

post-21290-13819284044534_thumb.jpg

2 cycle with tuned pipes, yamaha in a jet ski? . How much hp?

Guesstimated a solid 225, to 240HP max. (depending on setup). The pipes are jacketed to allow water to flow across the entire chamber, hence the in-line water return jets. The flowing water cooles the mixture and results in a much denser fuel mixture, very much like the intercooler of a turbo or supercharger. Which is escentially what tune pipes are for a 2 stroke. She's also got custom ported cylinders, and race tuned Factory Pipes, cylinder heads have quick change domes so I can jump from back and forth between race fuel and reg. 93oct. The crank shaft had to be welded and trued crank to handle the added torque, and there's a massive waterbox that makes this beast sound like a big block when she starts to plane. There's not one nut or bolt that hasn't been touched by me. I love to tinker with this kind of stuff during the cold months.

Cavitation sometimes use to kick me in the butt, and piss me off. So to over come this problem I purchased a custom matched intake grate, pump shoe and venturi block (among many other items) to fix the problem. And fix it, it did!!.....So much so that the craft would literally launch clean out of the water at instant full trottle. To keep her down and in the water, I'd have to lean all of my 230 lbs frame over the handel bars. But I yanked the close-course pump shoe and swapped the intake grate to gain back some top end, and finally cured the majority of my cavitation with a custom ground impeller.

Last summer I launched my entire body up in the are about 15 to 20ft. On the way down I hit the water head first and cartwheeled like a gumby doll for what felt like the length of a football field. When I came too (thank you God, and my life jacket), I was staring up at the sky, and all I could think about was how far I was going to have to swim to get back to my waterrunner, in my battered condition. It's a real wild ride. And I have had some fun racing her. Wickedly fast.

Every time I see messages about NASCAR being whatever and F1 being the holy grail, I'm reminded of the car swap test (on a road course) that was done on one of The Speed Channel's shows. Seems they got this F1 driver (can't remember his name) and his car and they got a NASCAR jockey (Jeff Gordon) and his car. They put each on the track in their respective rides and let them lay down a few laps on the stop watch. Then, they swapped cars and did some more laps on the clock. Why 'lo and behold, the NASCAR jockey was damn good in either car. Sadly, the F1 pilot did not fair well at all. In fact, he spoke to how difficult it was to get the most out of the car and the appreciation he had for the talent it took to race a Nextel Cup car. Hmmmmm.......that's funny, Jeff doesn't have a bit of trouble driving a cup car. [;)] [;)] [:)]

Oh.....let me sneak in a pic of my boat (soon to be replaced by a 28' Velocity with single 496 Mag HO).

Tom

post-4338-13819284123494_thumb.jpg

F1 is the WORLD championship, Senna, Mansell, Shumacher, Prost were/are like rock star gods. I have a laser disc full surround sound, F1 at Monaco, The full in car lap view/sound will rock your world. They truely are at one with their machine. It always amazed me when the new seasons rules change to slow the cars down from the previous year, they always come back faster even though things are taken away or changed. Technical wizardry. Plus they have cool, great looking pit babes. Nascar has cool crashes ;-)

post-21290-13819284184064_thumb.jpg

Tom,

The F1 driver was Juan Pablo Montoya (a former Indy 500 winner), who is consitently a top 5 finisher in F1. His then car was the F1 William-BMW, a 3.0L V10 cranking out 950bhp, dropped in a 1200 pound chasis. I watched the swap, and I read both the articles and interviews in Autoweek, and F1 Magazine. Seems the magazine editors have a slightly different opinon than yours.

I'm not knocking J.G., on the contrary, he is a remarkably talented NASCAR racer. And as long as the turns are all left handed and on a flat surface, he'll continue to do good. He's one of the best to ever run NASCAR, and make-no-mistake, he will go down in race history for his accomplishments. But please, lets not say he did DAMN GOOD, while JPM struggled. That's simply not the case.

Here's a link to a F1 Engine warm up (http://metacool.typepad.com/metacool/2006/02/unabashed_gearh.html).

F1 is and has always been IMO, the holy grail of motorsport racing. Why, well, there are many many reasons. The most popular of which is that fact that F1 brings new proven technologies to the cars we drive today. I can't think of another form of racing (except maybe the Paris-Dakar) that can say the same.

NASCAR on the other had, well, what can I say....they're still running carburators, and the ever popular and always debateable restrictor plates (depending upon who the favorite NASCAR child of the season is).

The typical F1 season budget is $2 to $3 billion per team. The worse, crappy F1 drivers' make $4 to $6 million a year. While the big daddy's ring in up to $50 million a year. These salaries do not include endorsements. I'm sorry, but there is NO COMPARISON between these 2 very different and entertaining race series. None, nada, zilch.

Jeff Gordon grew up racing open wheel cars, quarter midgets, midgets, sprint cars, etc. but very few F1 drivers have any experience racing trucks.

And your point is????? [;)] [:)]

Tom

I think he was trying to say Nascar is for rednecks.

[:)]

NASCAR IS FOR REDNECKS, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Do I watch NASCAR, well, on occassion (shhh) I will, but hey, I live in Oklahoma, homa da REDNECK.

Thank you tarvy,

It is an obnoixiously fast personal water craft. I've had speed boats trying to chase me down only to ask what I had under the seat cover. It is one mean and radical sounding beast to say the least. Shoot, I have to ware earplugs when I ride, or it'll make be deaf for the rest of the day.

Scary. Dont you think there is such a thing as "too fast" on a PWC?? I rode a 1200? last summer and couldent keep the throttle down... but is was 2 foot swells.

I'm not as young as I used to be... and these things go alot faster!!! I remember the original Yamy Wave runner.. you could run em full throttle all day!

That's exactly what my motor started out life as; A Waverunner GP1200R.

Then I went over board (AGAIN!) and kept making her faster, and faster. With the factory ceramic coated cylinders, and the fact that I'll only run synthetic Yamalube 2R,... I'm able to run this puppy wide open for extended periods at a time w/o any ill affects. I'm not as young as I use to be either, and the beast will remind me every now and them. But don't get me wrong, she handels remarkably well, and I can make her stay sucked down tight in some pretty rough water. It's just that she's so responsive and handles so well, that it's easy to meld while your on her. God, I've gone through countless mods, ruining multiple ride plates and intake grates and trim tabs, all in the name of experimentation.

Here's a picture of my Chief Mechanic.....

post-12381-13819284192234_thumb.jpg