Tweeters for Lasala

DimaK

Hi there,

recently i've got a pair of Lascalas.

Have not idea what year they were made at but they have this round elements - i guess Alnico.

they sound pretty impressive but it seems to me that the tweeter is a real week part.

what replecement tweeter is recomended?

i really like ribbon tweeters - is there such atweeter that fits good to lascala?

p.s. later i will have some more questions regarding bracing of the box and amp (currenntly have conrad johnson mv-60se).

Tom,
the tweeters are working.

i just feel that their quality isn't on par with modern tweeters.
i mean that with a good modern tweeter you can get a better HF extention, more air, etc.

i guess that some fostex or alike can be OK.

i laso saw that there is JBL 2404 (i hope i get the model right) has the same 104db sensitivity - perhaps this one is good?

Even the best K77 is only good to about 17k, if your's are alnico, they could have faded a bit, perhaps to 15K. Jeff's right, fresh caps could help a bit, and probably something you'd want to do anyway. That's a good first step.

I at first got all excited because some of my Heresy and CW acquisitions had the alnico, which I had 'heard' were supposed to be better, only to find out later than they can lose some magnetism with time.

I think I'll look into a set of BEC's tweeters and experiement with them. Got some K79's around here (from CWII) , but don't think they'll fit a LS cabinet.

If you are worried about extending the HF range from 17k to 20k, let me add some perspective. Between 17K and 20K there is not much music there, and if you are my age there is not much hearing there either.

There certainly may be other reasons to make this swap however. If you have old alnicos they may need to be re-magnetized also the lower end looks better (although you may need to re-configure you crossover to capitalize on this).

Good Luck,
-Tom

JBL 2404's Beyma CP 25's there lots of tweeter options. IMO the K77's are just an adequate but unremarkable tweeter when compared to the available options. There is nothing wrong with them but to me BEC's new tweeter, JBL's, Beymas... are all a better, cleaner sounding options if you are looking for a change.