rmlowz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello kde

I think all the Klipsch dealers in town are good ones .I don't know what you had in mind as far as calibration goes. I just bought a Velodyne SMS1 and it does a great job on the subs I have. which are a Def Tech Trinity, Velodyne DD18 and the Klipsch Ultra II subs.

Hello kde

. I just bought a Velodyne SMS1 and it does a great job on the subs I have. which are a Def Tech Trinity, Velodyne DD18 and the Klipsch Ultra II subs.

How would you compare the DD18 and the Klipsch Ultra II's? If you could compare them it would give me an idea of how good the Klipsch subs are.

I just read the review on the Klipsch subs in the Home Theater mag. and they are 3db down at 22Hz.

Hello Q-man,

I have the Ultra II subs all boxed up. I just got the DD-18 I am thinking of unboxing them this weekend and doing a side by side comparison. I had a DD15 when I got the Ultras and the Ultras blew the DD15 away. The Velodyne DD18 is a totally different sound than the Ultras. If my memory is right and not doing a side by side yet I think the DD18 might go lower on the few demos I have done so far. The Def Tech Trinity will rattle the can lighting in my ceiling. My ears and chest tell me that the Trinity goes the lowest. I like what I call the mid bass on the Ultras the best . There is trade offs on all products as you know. This has been a life long hobby that at 49 I still enjoy very much.

rmlowz

Hello Rick,

I don't want you to go to the trouble of unboxing the Klipsch subs just for me. I already have a feeling that they won't have the punch & control that the DD18 has. I'm just trying to figure out how the Klipsch subs compare to some of the subs that I'm familiar with.

Your price is right for someone to buy them and then resell them if they don't like them, without losing much money. I can buy a pair and amp for $2,300.00. I'm tempted to do so, but I better play it safe and go with the Danley horn loaded sub.

If you do compare them be sure to let everyone know what you think. I know that it will help others down the road.

Q.

Hello Rick,

I don't want you to go to the trouble of unboxing the Klipsch subs just for me. I already have a feeling that they won't have the punch & control that the DD18 has. I'm just trying to figure out how the Klipsch subs compare to some of the subs that I'm familiar with.

Your price is right for someone to buy them and then resell them if they don't like them, without losing much money. I can buy a pair and amp for $2,300.00. I'm tempted to do so, but I better play it safe and go with the Danley horn loaded sub.

If you do compare them be sure to let everyone know what you think. I know that it will help others down the road.

Q.

QMan

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/DTS20.html

Hello Rick,

Q.

QMan

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/DTS20.html

That's the one. Finally a sub for LaScalas and Klipschorns.

I think subs like the Klipsch Ultra's, Velodyne DD18, Sunfire Signature, Aerial, are fine for LaScalas and Klipschorns when used in a small room ( say 20' x 20').

In a larger room say 20'x30' or more, or rooms that are open to other rooms, then you will need a sub with more output. With rooms of this manner you need to double or quadruple the power to your Klipschorns and LaScalas to fill the room with sound to match the sound level of the small room. That is when these other subs bottom out.

how do you think they would sound if the woofers were stacked? That is the only way it would physically work for our room.

I would say that you can stack them with good results. Stacking them or putting them side by side is the way to go. When you start putting multiple subs around the room there will be too much sound canceling going on. Standing waves.

When you start putting multiple subs around the

room there will be too much sound canceling going on. Standing

waves.

Multiple locations can work (often better than a single location), BUT

it does require substatially more work to set them up "right" . I

usually recommend colocation as well.

Q, i'm surprised with your woodworking skills that you don't simply

build a sub? I'm not talking from the cost aspect, but the

performance one... as most commercial subs sacrifice some

performance for size...

ROb

Rob,

I know, I know, a subwoofer would be an easy build compared to bass horns. I have read most of yours and others post on the DTY subwoofers. I don't think anyone has compared their build againts a sub that I know. I may be wrong.

I was about to build John Warrens 18" 6174 McCauley subwoofer when I heard of the Danley.

I know, I know, a subwoofer would be an easy build

compared to bass horns. I have read most of yours and others

post on the DTY subwoofers. I don't think anyone has compared

their build againts a sub that I know. I may be wrong.

Although i don't normally have the "texan" bigger is better mentality,

for speakers esp subwoofers there is no getting around the fact that

size is most mathematically critical factor in performance...

given.... efficiency and bass extension are related to the square

of the volume of the subwoofer enclosure (Hoffman).

I don't know if you saw my posts in architectural forum, but I've got a

new subwoofer in the works... with an enclosure of over 600ft3

and about 16 litres of woofer displacement... I'm building an

infinite baffle. Even John Warren would approve. [8-|]

Although I have been dabbling too long in DIY subs to give you a good

comparison (I do have a top of the line Energy 12" sub hanging

around)... there are others who could. Actually Carl (aka:

CECAA850 on here) went from a pair of SVS PB12Plus /2 to a single DIY

IB without regrets.

Here is my Manifold:

post-11489-1381928380191_thumb.jpg

Looking good. 4 woofer cutouts per side? Your not fooling around.

I have read about some infinite baffle designs, and they do seam to dig deep and produce some high sound presure levels.

My son actually came up with an idea about cutting some holes into the face of my false corners and putting in an 18" woofer in each one of them. Maybe I have to think about that idea some more. The false corners are 3-1/2' from the wall and have a sealed top on them to the back and side wall. They are 6-1/2' wide and about 5' high.They have a double 3/4" plywood face and top with 2x6" framing on the inside. That relates to a huge speaker box size. All I have to do is close off the back, and seal them up. I can now pull the TV out of it's hole and crawl around inside of them. Maybe with a little help from some of you subwoofer nuts I can figure out the correct volume for the chosen speakers and give it a try. It is a shame not to make use of all that dead space.

That's right... I've planned for four 15" drivers per side for a

total of eight. [:o] I bought 6 as my original design was for a single

three sided manifold... I'll see if I need the other two or not.

The chip board (oriented strand boards) on either side are for my

reinforced khorn wall corners... and the middle cavity will be lined in

mdf and receive my custom centre.

I have read about some infinite baffle designs, and

they do seam to dig deep and produce some high sound presure

levels.

Great bass extension, very low distortion, and very efficient...

and given they are "modular" in design... you can get some impressive

SPL's by adding more and more drivers.

I'll try to start a new thread (so not to entirely hijack this one) in the subwoofer forum...

My son actually came up with an idea about cutting

some holes into the face of my false corners and putting in an 18"

woofer in each one of them.... That relates to a huge speaker box

size.

Sounds like a doable plan... what kind of enclosure volume you looking

at? Depending on that, you may be better with a pair of 15" with

a lower VAS per side... as there aren't many 18" currently available

that fall into that category.

Like you said, it seems a shame to let that volume go to waste.

ROb

• 2 weeks later...