Going to look at Cornwall's tomorrow

Chris Elm

Going to look at some Cornwall's tomorrow. I would like to get some advice from y'all as to what I can do while I am there. What kinds of things should I look for?

I know the trick about covering the two sets of horns to hear audible differences to check if they are working. Anything else? Should I check under the hood?

Also, anyone ever tried to transport these in a family sedan before? They will not have boxes.

Going to look at some Cornwall's tomorrow. I would like to get some advice from y'all as to what I can do while I am there. What kinds of things should I look for?

I know the trick about covering the two sets of horns to hear audible differences to check if they are working. Anything else? Should I check under the hood?

Also, anyone ever tried to transport these in a family sedan before? They will not have boxes.

You can listen and make sure all components work. Hopefully, they will be driven by some very good hi-fi equipment, so you can really hear what they'll do. If so, negotiate price, and if you like the price, take them and go.

If you cannot hear them crank like crazy, open up the backs and look to make sure the Klipsch drivers are in there - K-33, etc.

If you can't hear them at all (because no amp/receiver, or whatever), be suspicious unless you have good reason to trust.

I've carried them in a sedan before. I forgot how. I think they'll both fit in the back sit of larger sedans. They'll still bounce against each other, so bring sheets to wad up in between them and other things that might scratch them.

Good luck.

Know what a K33 should look like or open the backs to inspect for drivers. K55 and K77 should also reside in there and be in working order. Diaphrams are $22 for K77 and prob around $50 for the K55 if they don't work. I stuff sock or towel into mid horn to have good listen to tweeter.

Cabinet condition also counts toward value. Oiled Walnut is most common. Post photos here and we'll give you a ballpark figure

Take some nice blankies to keep em warm and cuddly on the way home.

btw, most guys don't go 'look' at CW's. Once they've heard em, they just buy em. I've bought 3 pairs without ever hearing a note.

HAVE FUN!

Michael

Chris,

Good luck and I hope it works out.

The oiled walnut should look good. These are fairly bullet proof speakers. Loud bass is good to see if there are any rattles or damaged woofers. Bad diaphragms will be readily apparent when listening. I would check to see if the cabinets have ever been opened (look at the screw heads). If they have, make sure you get a satisfactory answer.

I have a Volvo S70 sedan. One fit in the backseat and the other on the trunk (barely).

Good luck,

-Tom

What year?

They are around 95lbs each and have some fairly sharp edges. Bring some good furntiure pads to protect the speakers and your car...

Make sure the dust caps are intact and the woofer move in and out freely, i.e. without grinding...

I would bring a cordless screw driver (phillips head) and take of the backs real quick and look to see if some goofball (i.e. like us) has been messing around in there....

re:

"I would bring a cordless screw driver (phillips head) and take of the backs real quick and look to see if some goofball (i.e. like us) has been messing around in there.... "

If these are Cornwall 2s then you will not be able to simply take off the back.

Really, if these were your speakers, would you let some unknown person pop them open. I know that I would not.

If they have already been opened up (you can tell by looking the screws and the possible discontinuities in the finish etc), you should ask questions

-Tom