Anyone know ....

SCOOTERDOG

I don't post to much in this forum just usually respond. But I have question on a piece of equipment, a

Luxman M-117 Power Amp. I know luxman for some time use to build pretty

good stuff but I have never owned any of their equipment. Have any of

you had experience with their amps and if so what did you think? If

anyone has info on this one that would be cool too.

scooter

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you going to use it for and how much will it cost?

I currently own a 2004 Luxman int amp that I use as a preamp that I like very much. I have also owned Luxman recievers back in the late 80s early 90s that were black with red letters that also sounded very good which I believe the M-117 is also from this time. I used the recievers with my Heresys with great results.

I do not think the recievers I had or the M117 is considered Luxmans best equipment by the Audiophiles

but I know that the recievers I had sounded very good and I enjoyed them both very much.

So the M-117 if still in good condition should sound very good depending on what you would use it for. Get a good preamp and some Heresys and it should sound very good. With La Scalas may just sound okay.

I believe Luxman started to mass market Luxman here in the US in the late 80s. Not mass market like Sony or Pioner but for Luxman they defenitly increased production. Which meant these units were not top of the line models but still were better sounding than Sony, Pioner, etc.

My Luxman reciever I bought in 1990 was $550 which was not cheap in 1990 and I had it till 2003. With my Heresys it sounded great.

What are you going to use it for and how much it costs will determine if they are worth getting.

I can pick it up for about 100 bucks and was thinking about using it to drive my Heresy surrounds.

Scoot,

Paid around $1,300 for my first M117 in '78-'80.(?) Picked up the second one for $250.00 in '91. They are now switched to BTL mode at 700wpc into 8ohms. .003 THD I drive my ba*tard CW's with them. I call them "the poor-mans Mac". **** called them Mac Killers. (don't know about that part) Nice clean tube sound, 54lbs each, and much power. I love 'em.

Tube front is icing on the cake. Deano also has used them. You might ask him.

If they work and you don't want them, send me a pm. I will jump on them![:D][:D]

Terry

PS EDIT: Ran two DC300's, M117's - MUCH MORE horn friendly than the Crown's IMO.

With a nice preamp and your Heresys it would sound great in a 2 channel system and I would say get it at $100.

It is 200 watts into 8 0hms so it should have plenty of power for the heresys! If it is this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5861532144&rd=1

with shipping right now it would cost $150 and it still has 5 days left so it may get up to $200-250 with shipping. But since it is for surrounds and it is already at $150 and used I don't know if I would get it. Depends on your cash flow.

If it is $100 even and is in good condition it should work great for your Heresys surrounds and I would get it. Do you know the seller or can you hear the amp?

$100 and what you want to use it for it should work great. But as always buying used has it's risk!

Thanks for the response guys!

A co-worker has this and is in the middle of upgrading to HT. He is

planning on the new reference line and a denon av receiver and dvd. I

told him he should use the Luxman for the RF's but his wife wants him

to consolidate. He said if I was interested he'd let me have it for a

bill. My thought is if I get it I'll take it over to the shop I use and

have John do a tuneup on it for about 50 bucks. For 150 I may do it. I

plan on talking to him and see if he will let me use it for a weekend

to see if I like it.

scooter

hmm Don't think it would outperform my beast( Onkyo M504) but I think it could do the heresy's some justice. Ok it's settled I will see if I can use it next weekend and make the determination if I want it or not.

scooter

Scooter,

I hope that you can demo the Lux and and that you will do it in 2channel mains for the test. I would respect and value your opinion on the M117.

When we talk about nasty "big-ball" SS amps, we usually don't equate them with a warm, (not dark) smooth, and accurate presentation. Mostly, we consider bi or tri amping them to the bottom or driving a sub.

IMO, the M117 is not like that at all. It is a big, non-sexy, black box with enough head room to slam the bottom, and still provide a sweet mid and hf delivery. If you will give it an honest shot in two channel with your mains, I believe that you will think it superior to, and more horn-friendly than your M504's.

In HT driving Heresy's? I have no clue. I don't do HT other than two bedroom Heresy powered by an old Pioneer reciever connected to the TV. HT could be a different ball game and I claim no knowledge of that. I am still trying to get the first two channels right at this point.

Again, If you don't buy them, let me know. If they are good, I will take them at that price in a heart beat.

Regards,

Terry

I would not be surprised if he likes the Luxman as much or better than the M504 for the main speakers. It also depends on what condition the Luxman is in.

I have always been a Luxman fan it was some of the first gear I heard Klipsch on. That is also why I bought a new Luxman int amp with the plan to use it as a preamp and it has sounded fantastic the last year.

I have run my Luxman as a int amp compared to my Luxman as a preamp with a Cayin TA 30 tube amp and I think the Luxman as a int amp is more musical with instraments sounding really nice. The Luxman/Cayin combo sounds better in the vocals soundstage and came in close to the Luxman in the other areas.

So since the vocals were better and everything else was close I am running the Luxman/Cayin combo but I think after work tonight I am going to run just the Luxman until I get the Moondogs.

I've had my Onkyo for about 12 years now and it has been one of the

best SS amps I've ever heard. When we discribe the sound of an

amplifier we do choose words like warm and dynamic. I think the Onkyo

fits nicely in that department. But besides those two charateristics it

is also a very beefy amp. Extremely well built with solid components

and full of headroom. The great thing with some of these older

amplifiers is they tend to buck the trend and don't become pas'e. I

hope my experience with the luxman is good and from what I hear from

some of you. I am also looking at changing out my av pre pro in the

next couple of months. I will still run my onkyo for the La Scala's and

if I get this luxman then it will still run the Heresy's even with the

new av pre pro.

There is so much happining in the world of av right now with all of the

new formats on the horizon. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle,

wanting to buy now but also know I need to wait a year or so for the

dust to settle. Plus I wish I could talk my wife into letting me spend

about 10 grand. But that won't happen so I am forced to buy here and

there in smaller chunks. I need to really work on her.

scooter

well at the very least listen to the amp on your scalas...I kill to do comparisons - only problem is it usually costs money. Heck, I'd be hooking that amp up to my marantz 940's and even the SC-1. The more speakers you hear it on, the better idea you have as to the behavior of the amp itself.

• 6 months later...

I've had my Onkyo for about 12 years now and it has been one of the best SS amps I've ever heard. When we describe the sound of an amplifier we do choose words like warm and dynamic. I think the Onkyo fits nicely in that department. But besides those two characteristics it is also a very beefy amp. Extremely well built with solid components and full of headroom. The great thing with some of these older amplifiers is they tend to buck the trend and don't become pase. I hope my experience with the luxman is good and from what I hear from some of you. I am also looking at changing out my av pre pro in the next couple of months. I will still run my onkyo for the La Scala's and if I get this luxman then it will still run the Heresy's even with the new av pre pro.

There is so much happening in the world of av right now with all of the new formats on the horizon. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle, wanting to buy now but also know I need to wait a year or so for the dust to settle. Plus I wish I could talk my wife into letting me spend about 10 grand. But that won't happen so I am forced to buy here and there in smaller chunks. I need to really work on her.

scooter

The Onkyo M 504 I owned had to be one of the worst sounding amps i have ever owned, and I have probably owned over 100 in my time.

I wanted to like it, green sexy meters, and pretty in it;s fake wood case.

Power and headroom it has, almost impossible to clip it.

It has a red hot upper midrange, and kills the image.

I found it very transistory and analytical sounding, and couldn't imagine using it with horns.

The Luxman M 117 is not a good amp, it is a great amp, warm, and w/o glare, and powerful too.

It needs nothing but a little bit more bias, but it will even sing stock.

It's sonic characteristics will mate ideally with most Horns, because it is a quiet amp, and it;s midrange is w/o glare.

I've had my Onkyo for about 12 years now and it has been one of the best SS amps I've ever heard. When we describe the sound of an amplifier we do choose words like warm and dynamic. I think the Onkyo fits nicely in that department. But besides those two characteristics it is also a very beefy amp. Extremely well built with solid components and full of headroom. The great thing with some of these older amplifiers is they tend to buck the trend and don't become pase. I hope my experience with the luxman is good and from what I hear from some of you. I am also looking at changing out my av pre pro in the next couple of months. I will still run my onkyo for the La Scala's and if I get this luxman then it will still run the Heresy's even with the new av pre pro.

There is so much happening in the world of av right now with all of the new formats on the horizon. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle, wanting to buy now but also know I need to wait a year or so for the dust to settle. Plus I wish I could talk my wife into letting me spend about 10 grand. But that won't happen so I am forced to buy here and there in smaller chunks. I need to really work on her.

scooter

The Onkyo M 504 I owned had to be one of the worst sounding amps i have ever owned, and I have probably owned over 100 in my time.

I found it very transistory and analytical sounding, and couldn't imagine using it with horns.

The Luxman M 117 is not a good amp, it is a great amp, warm, and w/o glare, and powerful too.

It's sonic characteristics will mate ideally with most Horns, because it is a quiet amp, and it;s midrange is w/o glare.

I've had my Onkyo for about 12 years now and it has been one of the best SS amps I've ever heard. When we discribe the sound of an amplifier we do choose words like warm and dynamic. I think the Onkyo fits nicely in that department. But besides those two charateristics it is also a very beefy amp. Extremely well built with solid components and full of headroom. The great thing with some of these older amplifiers is they tend to buck the trend and don't become pas'e. I hope my experience with the luxman is good and from what I hear from some of you. I am also looking at changing out my av pre pro in the next couple of months. I will still run my onkyo for the La Scala's and if I get this luxman then it will still run the Heresy's even with the new av pre pro.

There is so much happining in the world of av right now with all of the new formats on the horizon. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle, wanting to buy now but also know I need to wait a year or so for the dust to settle. Plus I wish I could talk my wife into letting me spend about 10 grand. But that won't happen so I am forced to buy here and there in smaller chunks. I need to really work on her.

scooter

I can pick it up for about 100 bucks and was thinking about using it to drive my Heresy surrounds.

Scoot,

Paid around $1,300 for my first M117 in '78-'80.(?) Picked up the second one for $250.00 in '91. They are now switched to BTL mode at 700wpc into 8ohms. .003 THD I drive my ba*tard CW's with them. I call them "the poor-mans Mac". **** called them Mac Killers. (don't know about that part) Nice clean tube sound, 54lbs each, and much power. I love 'em.

Tube front is icing on the cake. Deano also has used them. You might ask him.

If they work and you don't want them, send me a pm. I will jump on them![:D][:D]

Terry

PS EDIT: Ran two DC300's, M117's - MUCH MORE horn friendly than the Crown's IMO.

"**** called them Mac Killers."

The lack of sensitivity and awareness found on this forum is just unbelievable.

Klipsch out.