RF7s vs the RF83s: what do you all think?

Ou8thisSN

So, i was out of the country for about 6 weeks, and i just happened to click on Klipsch forums last night and saw that the RF7s were discontinued and there was a new flagship line. Is this the new "reference primiere" line or just the reference line, and any of you present RF7 owners, heard the new RF83s? how do they compare? specs look comparable.

are these speakers made in US like the RF7s were? The local klipsch dealer here in nashville sold out the RF7s, so its not like i can do a direct comparison, and i dont see any reviews online. So, as the topic title says, what do you all think?

These are not the Premiere series. Just the fourth generation of Reference. They look to be roughly 10% higher in price than there replacements. Premiere will be much higher price, I have heard.

I have not been to my dealer yet to see if he has them. But I did see some new bookshelves on Ebay a week or two ago.

I do not know where they are made? I do know the 3 woofer floorstanders are a notch above the rest in build. Maybe those in the US? others overseas probably.

The much lower crossover point is interesting to me. Cant wait to hear.

Welcome back to the States.

somewhatt OT I guess... weird that this thread would have a 5 star rating on it w/o many replies or listener eval in it, while another thread on this board about the same subject that was started a little earlier[ http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/679326/ShowPost.aspx ] and has some great a/b evaluation detail in it (read the post from tsmalls ), does not have any stars? ok, who's priming the vote...? [:P] ...just that when I saw 5 stars I expected some info in the thread that would even eclipse the well worded opinion tsmalls relayed on this matter... [;)]

To get back to the subject at hand.. Last weekend i had a chance to compare the RF83 & RF7s. The first thing you notice is that the RF83s are taller and narrower than the RF-7s, more monolithic when in black. I wasn't able to compare them under the same acoustic conditions or sources, but the reports that have been floating around the forum are accurate. Specifically, the RF83s are smoother at the top end but have less base slam. They didn't feel that they had lost any detail at the higher frequencies. I spent 30 minutes comparing them, but I would have to listen much more to say which i really prefered or would spend my $ on. It really comed down to the balance between smoothness and the "in your face" klipsch sound. I'll try and find another dealer in my area to get a more detailed listen this weekend. I'm still drooling over the possibility of the Premier series, fold in kilpsch sound with elegance and beauty...ahhh....the possibilities....

Cheers

-Dave

Here we go

"Seems there is quite a bit of confusion over the RB-75 and RB-81. Let me try to illuminate.

There is no replacement in the new Reference line for the RB-75. That speaker was our effort to provide RF-7-like performance in a bookshelf package. It's a great bookshelf speaker and has the 1.75" compression driver that only the RF-7 and RC-7 shared with it. Very expensive driver and definitely overkill in the bookshelf model where we had to attenuate it to avoid outrunning the woofer output. After all, it was able to (more than) keep up with two 10" woofers in the RF-7.

The RB-81 is the replacement for the RB-35; not for the RB-75. The RB-81 has a 1" compression driver that is an upgrade over the RB-35 driver. It is not competition for the RB-75 driver nor for the new 1.25" compression driver in RF-83, RF-63 and RC-64. That new driver is much like the RF-7 driver though its smaller size allows it superior HF extension and pushes the break-up distortion mode further beyond 20kHz.

If you want performance like the RB-75, you'll need to find RB-75's. RB-81 is a very nice speaker but it's no RB-75. "