Dolby Digital Plus

Catharsis147

Hey fellow Klipsch fans,

I am interested in getting the flagship Denon receiver (AVR-5805) in the very near future, but with the inevitable arrival of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, it seems that I should wait until a flagship receiver that can decode Dobly Digital Plus (and whatever Hi-Def format that DTS will incorporate) arrives. Any thoughts? $4,000 plus is a lot to spend on a receiver that could be outdated in less than five years. Thanks guys.

At this point the 5805 will be outdated in a year. I advise you to wait. The new formats are due out this year.

For the cost of that thing if I were you I would go seperates. Or at least seperate amp with mid to upper level receiver like the Yamaha 4600, Pioneer 56Txi, or Denon 3806 as a pre/pro.

The rate of change in solid state electronics is still accelerating. Look at the time frame for changes from mono to stereo to quad to dolby to dolby pro to dolby 2 to dolby 2x. Do you think it's going to stop at digital + ?

Part of buying at the bleeding edge, is that there will be something better tomorrow. If you want to own the very best for a few days, now is as good as ever.

I again am going to reccomend seperates. For the price of the 5805 your in the budget range of seperates. This will give you more upgrade flexibility and better amplification. You can either upgrade your pre/pro every so many years. Or get something that is factory upgraded like a B&K. The amps will stay with you for a long time with no need of change.

Seperates looks like the way to go, thanks BobbyT; any recommendations on that front? I know Rotel's amps are well regarded. I def. do not think it will stop with DD +, but I guess I was more interested in the timeframe for that Denon to be obsolete. Thanks everyone for all your help. Business in the audio world is certainly business. I guess only Klipsch spekaers will last (hopefully) forever in my system........

Dolby Digital Plus....

" Heck!!!! I just got used to mono....and adding another of them thar speakers... I thinks they calls it stereo!! "

None of these features will work UNLESS the movie makers do it on every DVD/CD to the masses. (Beta was better than VHS but no one cared ?) Were kinda in a funk right now because consumers are getting tired of getting obsolete formats.

We have certainly had great discrete formats in audio CD's, sadly they did not work out too..

Indy,

No kidding. Have you heard of HVD? The Terrabyte-equipped disc that could potentially come out as early as 2007? What do we do then?? Blu-Ray and HD-DVD might ALREADY be obsolete (Though unlikely with the Playstation 3 using Blu-Ray technology). I would like to say this is a scary time, but as you noted, technology is always changing, and always will. I wonder what everyone will have on their racks in like 15 years?

Amp wise I would say Sunfire, B&K, and Rotel. As for a pro/pro that would depend on if you want an actual pre/pro or a mid to upper level receiver.

Even though the technology rapidly changes I don't think we'll see another sound format change for home use any time soon. Dolby, DTS, and THX have to realize that the average home will not fit more than 7 speakers and a sub. The majority of homes with surround sound only haveing 5 speakers and a sub.

The HVD disc may not even be used for home entertainment purposes. It could just be used for computers.

Bobby.. I tend to agree with you 5.1 as well as 7.1 is a hard sell to the other halves of our lives..

That said.. I think just overall movie sound will get better. While WAR OF THE WORLDS was over hyped and was so so at the theaters/// OMG, at home...... it is downright frightening sound effects wise. Lighting, wind, things blowing up or evaporating. It is all good.

As a "fad", most custom dedicated rooms for HT were probably in the middle of that stage in America... of the growth cycle.. People now understand them.. Do they have the funds or the room to do it, is quite another question? (I, personally, do not know how people without basements survive..LOL Maybe a room over the garage, a spare bedroom or attic?)

We do not really need any more speakers..we need good content!!

Well, and some need to ditch the HT system for 200 USD from xyz special retailer too. That's a whole other thread!!!

I'm of the BobbyT mindset. After having gone through 3 recievers and finally going separates, I would highly advise anyone that's remotely serious about HT to go the pre/pro & amp route for the very same reasons BobbyT mentioned. I realize that that option might be a stretch for some folks, but in the long run you'll be spending less and keeping obsolescence at bay. And if price is really a sticking point, go to Audiogon and pick up an Anthem AVM20 or some such, use it for a year or so while saving your pennies and then have it upgraded to the latest processing.

What's too bad is there's no one making a pre/pro product that has removable "boards" that would allow owners to upgrade on their own.

Tom

I'm of the BobbyT mindset.

What's too bad is there's no one making a pre/pro product that has removable "boards" that would allow owners to upgrade on their own.

Tom

The Lexicon processors have offered various firmware, programming and processor component upgrades over the years.

I think the best way to go is buy a good processor that can convert any signal to your rooms system. As for the Lexicon, the Logic 7 converts anything to 7.1, and does a great job of it. They have done a good job offering upgrades over the years so the proccessors can process the newer HT formats.

JM

"What's too bad is there's no one making a pre/pro product that has removable "boards" that would allow owners to upgrade on their own"

This is the back of my preamp. Will they make a board to use HDMI & lossless? NOPE! Rotel is coming up with a whole new unit.!!

Who needs S-Video? anyway.!!

post-16679-1381928380331_thumb.jpg