Luthier messed up guitar finish... any suggestions?

codhead

I added this to my UPS post over on 2-Channel, but hopefully somebody

with guitar experience will spot it here. This is what just happened to

my new Martin D-18 ...

Well, the action from the factory was a little high for my tastes. Took

it to a well respected local luthier (elderly guy with a lot of

experience) for a new bone nut and saddle. It came with the (plastic?)

Tusq parts.

Just picked it up about a couple of hours ago, and he did a pretty nice

job on the action - but now for the heartbreaker. Got it home and found

scuff marks all over the back of the guitar. He had a piece of carpet

on his bench, covered in shavings when I dropped it off. Kind of

figured he would vacuum it off before working on my guitar, but I guess

he didn't.

I bought it from a Martin employee, and it was dead mint when I dropped

it off at the luthier. I even peeled the plastic off the pick guard

last Thu when it arrived.

Man, this is the mother of bummers. I'm not sure what to use to polish

the back with, and I sure don't want to go through the nitrocellulose

laquer finish by rubbing too hard. I'm half tempted to E-mail the guy I

got it from, and send it back to Martin to get it buffed out. What the

heck was this old dude thinking?

Any of you guitar types know of a polish that'll fix something like

this, or should I say screw it and send it back to the factory?

- Jeff

It can probably be buffed out by someone who is competent. Not that the old guy isn't, but what a bummer.

You could send it back to Martin or check with someone like the guys at Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island. They have a repair shop but I don't know if they do any finish work.

http://www.mandoweb.com

And... the D-18 is a great guitar. My brother-in-law has my '51 D-18. Sweeeeet!

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks much for the advice. I just sent an E-mail off to the Martin employee I bought it from. I'm half tempted to try to rub it out myself, but look where I ended up the last time I had doubts!

It's kind of funny. I saw that dirty piece of carpet on the guy's bench when I dropped off the guitar. Something made we want to say "Hey, you're not really going to put it on that are you?" But then I reasoned that he's been working on guitars longer than I've been alive, and surely he must know what he's doing. Looking back, I guess I should have risked offending the guy.

Bet that '51 sounds pretty nice. Sure like the sound of mine - gonna miss it if it goes back to the factory.

- Jeff

Avalon is the company formed under George Lowden's direction when he was having troubles.

Yes, this one is rosewood back and sides (Indian rosewood, not Brazilian -- I sure couldn't afford that). Sycamore and rosewood purflings. Sitkas spruce top. Ebony fretboard. The upper and lower bouts are wider than a dreadnaught's and a little bit deeper. I just love the look of it.

Bruce

My Taylor has a compensated saddle, to help the intonation a bit. It moves the "b" string back a little (see pic), in the same way the two piece saddle does. I don't know how an under saddle pickup would work with this, but I'm not as concerned about that with this guitar.

Bruce

post-7149-13819283736192_thumb.jpg

Marvel: of all the guitars you own which do you like the best for playability? and why?

Also, what do you guys like playing usually when you just kick back relax and let'er rip.

Hard one to call. My '74 Guild F-30R has excellent action and intonation. I spent a long time tweaking the action on it. Adjusting the neck and lowering the saddle, etc. My Taylor 812C (in my avatar), has that excellent Taylor playability that Taylors are known for. That's why Josh's 310 is so good compared to the D-18. It's a toss up for me. It just depends on which case I open up. The Taylor is a small guitar so it is easier to lounge around with. Tone is excellent. The Guild is heavily built (maybe because they used to build the best 12 strings). Sound is a little light, but still balanced. I have small hands, so the older Martin necks (like Gibson necks) are almost a bit too fat for me.

That's why I'm looking at a huge bodied guitar, for the times I want a huge, deep, sound.