And you thought rare BLUE NOTES were expensive!!

Allan Songer

Ehhh, I'd prefer to listen to a blue note, well maybe on a saturday night... Imagine having a record that is more expensive than your multi modded Klipsch, a well loved set of MC's, one of the best record players in the world, great cart, etc. And it turns out to be a sex pistols record!!! [:^)]

This may shock the hell out of you guys, but I once went to a Sex Pistols concert in San Francisco--must have been late '77 or '78 at Bill Graham's Winterland. They were TERRIBLE but fascinating. I also saw The Clash perform their very first show in the USA at Berkeley High School Auditorium around the same time--they opened the show with a song called 'I'm so bored with the USA!" As bad as the Sex Pistols were, the Clash were GREAT--never felt more energy from any other Rock and Roll band ever. Really something else!

You're right--I am really without much of a clue when it comes to Rock music.

I have enjoyed some Rock and Roll concerts over the years, but as I said to my good friend who is designing a house for some guy who sings in some band called Maroon 5--I really don't have time for Maroon 5--I'm still trying to really understand John Coltrane first . . . .

The Sex Pistols were a great marketing ploy. The only one who got rich was Malcolm McLaren. And yes they did stink live...at least any live footage I have seen. I never did get to see them live.

Now The Clash is a totally different story. A great live band, IMO, and very under rated as musicians and song writers. Most people only know a few songs at best. Tunes like Train in Vain, Should I Stay or Should I go, and Rock the Casbah. The last two are no representation of their talent.

If you are any type of music lover you owe it to yourself to give an unbiased listen to London Calling. Rolling Stone's 8th pick in the 500 all time greatest LPs ahead of the White album and Blonde on Blonde...but what does Rolling Stone know...

Allan, I think you would really like Sandinista. Laid back Reggae sound with a Jazz influence...I think.

B00004BZ16.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

PM me your address and I will buy you a copy for all you Jazz gems you have helped me with. The Clash even has a song name Jimmy Jazz...how bad can they be? http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/clash,-the/31836.html

Back in 1983?, a friend invited me to a Clash concert in Richmond. To that point, I only knew the Clash through their 'Combat Rock' LP and the 'Rock the Casbah' video. I had also bought the 'Sandinista' LP but hadn't really given it a fair listen (I thought they were Police wannabes) and the airplay and video just confused me. Still, I'm a sucker for concerts and all that ensues so I went.

The show was great and I went away energized if a bit more cynical. I went out and bought most of their albums and re-listened to Sandinista with new ears. They are still one of my favorite bands and 'London Calling' is the first album I'd recommend to anyone interested in the Clash.

JBryan, nice story.

I know a lot of people that think The Clash is just 3 cords and a lot of noise. Once they give them the slightest chance they are hooked. They really were the last great band to come out of the UK. Waiting patiently for the next big thing to come along.