Looking for Khorn bass bins

TRiv

" . . . shouldn't the back pieces extend all the way out until they intersect the plane of the front of the cabinet like false corners?"

As I've said many times here, I used four Speakerlab SKhorns in a mobile DJ biz in the 70s. I used the 1/4" plywood from the shipping crates to do exactly as depicted in D-Man's drawing. While not perfect, it seemed to work. Even freestanding (not in corners), the SKs produced prodigious bass. One repeat customer asked if the price included the drummer. It was difficult to convince her that there had never been a live drummer, the bass was that good. The improvement upon placing them into proper corners, although discernable, was not spectacular.

D-Man,

That's a great idea. The only thing is shouldn't the back pieces extend all the way out untill they intersect the plane of the front of the cabinet like false corners?

Don

Negative on that, Don. The tailboard negates any remaining corner space due to the entirely enclosed horn channels.

Although the mouth would be a bit small for extreme low bass, the horns could even be placed against a wall, etc., when fully enclosed like the drawing, and still outperform La Scalas, etc.

{edit} I finally understand the question. You want to extend the "wings" forward to make a longer horn exit channel?

I've seen it done, but it's not required if placed in a corner, completely optional. If it were me, I'd leave it alone.

Here is an example of extended top "wings" on a corner horn. They used to do this alot in the "old days".

DM

post-13458-13819283876098_thumb.jpg

On that note, here is a revised drawing... I wouldn't extend it any further for aesthetic reasons and size and weight considerations... again, it is competely optional, especially if you put it in a halfway decent corner.

I keep saying this, if it were me, I'd go with what you've got already for the top and bottom. Otherwise, you will be making them far heavier and they will already be extra heavy with side panels alone. Something to consider.

DM

post-13458-13819283881582_thumb.jpg

Taking that concept one step further, one arrives at the Jubilee-style...

It would take some re-design at the pre-build point to get there due to the shortened width of the front baffle, but its entirely do-able if one is familiar with the Khorn build (save it for next project). The exit angles are canted forward - whether this is worthwhile in a Khorn is somewhat up in the air, as the more-direct exit angles are better for higher frequency bass, something that the Khorn is not best at producing due to its horn folding design.

DM

post-13458-13819283882222_thumb.jpg

D-Man ,

There's something that I didn't think of at first that kills the idea of adding the back panels to the bass bin. They would cover up the access door to the woofer. You wouldn't be able to get the woofer out.

Don

Good point, but it's entirely "fixable". Particularily if the extended wing version is used (might need the stability (expanse) of the wood that affords on the side panel in question). Just make a flush-mount access panel on the outside one, too, if you think anyone will see it (it is quite an extreme angle, though, especially if in a corner).

1/2" or so intrusion in the horn channel wall won't hurt anything. PWK even said so. It could easily be done. You probably won't be getting in there too many times a year, so inconvenience isn't really a problem.

Seems that it's an aesthetic problem. How would you even see it even if it was an over-mount panel rather than a flush-mount.

EV got around this same issue in by going to a front-access panel. Too late for that now, though. But I would go with the side panel, myself.

DM

D-Man ,

There's something that I didn't think of at first that kills the idea of adding the back panels to the bass bin. They would cover up the access door to the woofer. You wouldn't be able to get the woofer out.

Don

Don, sent you email

sweet!!

are you shipping them?

Yes, too far to pick up, FedEx ground, should work out ok. Giving up on building because I really want to get a long term car project done , plus other projects. I think it's worth it though, as I am equipt to do metal work, not woodwork, and don't plan to so why buy equiptment needed, beyond a circular and jig saw, which should be enough to do basic cuts for cosmetics.

Just a note, Don (bluesboy), the builder of these has been real good to work with, I was a concerned doing this deal based on really no info to trust this transaction, and asked if he had ebay account, and if could he post "buy it now" so I had something to go on, and he did with a solid %100 feedback rating. I offered to pay the ebay charge on top of the sale price plus I am handling the payment of shipping direct to Fedex, he then wraps them up best possible and drops off to FedEx center his way, then I pick up at a business address here.

Thanks again Don for going along with that idea.