VHS Hi-Fi

DizRotus

Who remembers VHS Hi-Fi, and did anyone else use it to record audio?

Before the days of CD burners, I'd borrow CDs from the library and record them in VHS Hi-Fi. It's surprising how easy it is to check out Christmas CDs in June to make a tape to be played in December.

I also made compilations of jazz and classical recordings. The recording quality was superior to casette, but I always got tired of hearing the selections in the same order. Unconsciously you memorzied the order; it was annoying.

I was convinced VHS HIFI was going to replace the Reel to Reel format. You got great quality audio and fairly convenient storage, easy cue-ability it worked great for me for a long time back in the 80's/early 90's. Like Audible alluded to you could easily record LD/CD audio and have hours of music available. Biggest probelm was the darn decks kept wearing out so fast comparatively speaking. I went through about 4 and finally gave up on it and migrated to SVHS HI FI but they too were built too cheap for long term reliability.

VHS HiFi is a very good analog format IMNSHO. I have a very old (ca. 1984) Zenith 6-head deck that still works well. I have used it for live recording (running parallel with R2R) with very good results. The predominant use of VHS HiFi audio at our house is to store (and play) our outrageously large collection of christmas music -- ca. 30 hours dubbed to tape. We play it extensively from Thanksgiving through Epiphany (because we like to)!

It pays to use the best-quality tape you can to minimize drop-outs.