Question about HDMI

ApEx

I know this is really only a place to post questions about Home Theater

but I figured you guys would know this anyway. I just got my new TV and it supports HDMI so I would like to use it. I was wondering if HDMI makes a big enough of a difference from componet to be worth it. The DVD player im looking to buy is $154.99 then the HDMI wire is another $70 if I buy a decent name, only $25 if I buy a complete no name. Let me know what you think.

If you use HDMI you are staying digital all the way through with your signal. You avoid the digital to analog then analog to digital conversions that would happen if you went with component cables. As to name brand vs no name, the signal is digital so there should be no difference in the quality of the signal except that with some no name cables the terminations are less than the best and the cable may not work. With digital it is an all or nothing situation, If the run of cable is under 12 feet there probably won't be much of a difference, if the run is longer though it might be a problem, so it sort of "depends".

Hello.

I believe Cal is saying the less conversions between digital and analog the better.Signal quality is decresed anytime there is a conversion.By using the HDMI cable the DIGITAL signal is only converted once at the TV.

As far as the cable quality,if it has good connectors and is well shielded then there should be no difference between the higher priced one and the el cheapo.

Greg

Ya, thats what I said[;)]

LoL the reason I said " ^what" is because I was reading ur profile by accident. I just looked at everything u typed really fast and assumed it was a quote from what I said so I dident read it. Anyway, I defaintly understand about signal conversions because I work alot with computer graphics and such, But I really was hoping for someone who has switched to HDMI to tell me if there was a difference. Although in theory it it should aprove greatly from componet. Also, here is the link to the "cheaper" HDMI cable that im looking at, It has gold plated connectors and looks good so I think im going to order it and save myself 50 dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812105827

I have a 50" wega hooked up with hdmi to my dish sat.The previous

component cables looked just as good to me but I do like the ease of

one cable and it wasn't worse.I bought a pretty nice cable at parts

express for 25 bucks delivered in two days.

I have a 50" wega hooked up with hdmi to my dish sat.The previous

component cables looked just as good to me but I do like the ease of

one cable and it wasn't worse.I bought a pretty nice cable at parts

express for 25 bucks delivered in two days.

So you wouldent suggest spending 200 dollars on a new DVD player and HDMI cable?