Just went from AA to A xover

Croc

i own about a 30 year old pair of Lascalas with alnico drivers and AA xover.

using Guy's recommendation (i guess i'm luky to have Guy at a 30 minutes drive distance[:)]) i moded the xover to A by removing "unneccessary" parts.

the sound changed a lot.

my impressions so far:

good things:

1. tweeter sounds much better, smoother and more extended

2. transparency in mid and treble improved a lot - now it's quite in the league of my Sonus Faber Cremona - and this is a complement. that "veil" and significant grain that i had in mid and somewhat in treble is gone.

very impressive

3. over sound is much smoother and not "shouting" or "raggy" at all

negative things:

1. sound lost its size and height. now it doesn't sound at the whole front wall but just between the speakers

2. midbass got much weaker - on spl meter i measure about 8 db drop from ~140 hz.

i had to tail my REL Stadium 3 sub a lot and still didn't find a good combination.

3. the sound became smooth....... i'm missng that hot huge and "in your face" midrange.........

in short they became smooth and very polite[:o]

i'm wondering why is that and whether "new" A xovers (like Bob's one) provide a similar difference............

One things for sure, you changed the frequency distribution between the drivers and that effects the dispersion characteristics in the room. It may even require different room treatments, etc.

Next, try adjusting speaker placement, different angles and positions in the room to optimize it as best you can - its all interrelated..

DM

Changing from AA to A should have only effected how the tweeter sounds. You should get those old bad caps out of that crossover and replace them to really know how it sounds also.

Bob Crites

Well, I am fond of the GE polypropylene in oil cans, but most any good polypropylene cap would be a big improvement over the worn out original ones.

Bob

Bob,

Are you sourcing those caps for original Cornwalls? My pair are celebrating their 28th this year, and I want to give them a Birthday present.

guys, discard my previous impressions - i just went to listen music - put the mingus with heldridge, dolphy and others.

at some stage i noticed that the sound stage is too much "dead centered", after a moment "mono like" asociation springed into my mind and a second later i saw that "mono" switch is turned on on my pre [:$]

so back to the stereo - the problems are gone [:D], perhaps a mid bass and the subwoofer integration still need some triming.
but transparancy is still there - this is great.
and the tweeter became very good. perhaps still not Cremona but very very descent - it makes me wonder are replacements are that good that people throw away the original ones?..............

"Changing from AA to A should have only effected how the tweeter sounds."

I think it changes everything.

in my case it definitely did.

the electrical explanation might be is that in AA from DC point of view all terminals (i mean imputs, and terminals of drivers - all "pluses" and "minuses") are shortcircuited.

so even at AC removal of parts from tweeters branch affects what bass and mid drivers "see" in their branches.

another one - can somebody pls provide with an AA xovers electrical scheme?

to Bob and other xover gurus,

except capacitors what other elements would you recomend to refresh?

actually if we put capaciotors out it leaves us with transformer, coil (for bass), wires and barrier strip.

Dean said: "I think it changes everything."

Dean is wrong, but I can't prove it to him until he starts to believe in test equipment.

Bob

Croc,

Just the caps. I have never found anything else to be bad on an old Type AA crossover out of hundreds I have rebuilt.

Actually, one more thing on the Type AA. A lot of times, Klipsch messed up and put a steel screw in the 245 mH inductor. That screw has to be brass or stainless steel or it changes the value of the inductor a lot. You can check the screw with a magnet. If the magnet picks up the screw, you need to replace it.

Bob

O.K., you have a reduction in voltage in the tweeter section of the AA network compared to the A. We all know it's because of the sharper filter slope on the AA. So, someone asks -- "What's the difference between the two networks?" You look at your voltage measurements, but you respond using a different language: you tell them the tweeter in the Type AA is about 3dB down in comparison to the Type A. We want to know what's happening acoustically, and since this is the case, we don't talk to each other in volts, we talk to each other in dB.

It's not just about voltage. When you change the distribution of energy between the drivers it impacts the sound of the whole speaker. Decrease the amount of energy going to one driver and it perceptually lifts it somewhere else. The acoustic response is what matters.

When going from the Type AA to the Type A -- what will a person hear?

1) More high frequency energy. Depending on the user's room and listening habits this could be either good or bad. Those involved in intimate type listening sessions at lower volumes will probably prefer the Type A filter. Those who engage in live listening levels will probably appreciate the reduced tweeter output of the Type AA.

2) More mid frequency energy. The first order filter behavior of the Type A takes the tweeter further into the squawker's operating range. There is more overlap.

3) Less perceived bass output. When you have more energy at the top, you hear less at the bottom -- even though nothing at the bottom was "changed".

I do have a Real Time Analyzer -- and use it. I'm more interested in what's happening acoustically -- this way of measuring is more suited to my interests. Though I've certainly been burnt by my ears on more than one occasion -- I still prefer them over using my nose.:)

Perception is one thing, reality is perhaps something different. The change from AA to A only effects the tweeter voltage. The power involved with the tweeter is just too low to effect the other two circuits.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819283777518_thumb.jpg