Klipsch Cornwall I Review: See pic and details

mobile homeless

Interesting to note some differences between my '79s and your 77's Designer Series. First I have 3 cutouts n the bottom for my ports and the woofer looks slightly different too. Other than that you sure tell they are Cornwalls. I await your in depth review.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

I would also add these are in a wee better shape than your speakers judging by the shots. I noticed your woofer...almost looks like a recone job; not sure what the black looking "tar" substance is around perimeter....or whether that is stock or not.

Mine really looks mint inside. No dust. No cobwebs. Almost showroom. I bought them from the original owner who had stored them a good portion of their life in his office.

kh

f>s>

Oh, Mobile, you've done it now!

Glad to see you went ahead with your Cornwall purchase. I posted a reply in the Audio Asylum under your thread "Pathetic last plea..." with my observations on how my admittedly modest set-up consisting of RegaP3/DV10X4/Lehmann Black Cube/ASL1003DT/'78 Cornwalls compaired with a friend's system consisting of VPI/Transfiguration, Sonic Frontiers, and Legacy Audio Focus. It stated how when I had my Mac MC2105/C26 and Maggie 3.3r, after I'd get home from said friend's house and fire my system up, it would take about 2 weeks for me to get any enjoyment. Now, it takes about 10 minutes (about the time it takes for my Svetlana EL34s to warm up) to fully recover. Go figure...

Anyway, looking forward to your in-depth assessment on your system with the Cornwalls!

Happy Listening!

C26 and 2105 and you're complaining? Wink.gif I'm driving the Klipschs with an ole Sony receiver, and the main stereo is a big Kenwood that is powerful (200wpc) but doesn't really sound all that great. I'm gonna get rid of it for McIntosh gear one of these days.. Maybe Mac preamp and some kinda tube amp.

Would say some Cornwalls too but I want Klipschorns. :D

Those are looking good! I also noticed a few differences between your 77's and my 80's. Mine also have 3 lower vents. Behind my grills there is no Klipsch logo like yours appear to have. Also mine seem to have many more round velcro pieces to for securing the grill. You seem to only have a few square pieces unless you airbrushed some out fixing that picture! cwm20.gifcwm19.gifcwm20.gif

------------------

Ubid customer service SUX. Be very wary if you use them.

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 10-25-2001 at 06:00 PM

Indeed. I remember the Relic post concerning the down time between gettin used to music again; good post! As for my grill velcro pieces, remember, this is an aftermarket grill kit option and the owner installed it. Stock, this 77 Cornwall came with no grill. So there are less velcro pieces and they actually seem to be more conservatively applied.

By the way Relic, thanks for the respone over at High Efficiency Asylum; some good feedback over there.

Be looking for the page - I'll let you know when it's done - will take awhile to let it all sink in.

kh

f>s>

Mobile -

I took a look at both my Cornwalls and my two Heresys just now and all my woofer cones have that subtance on them around the ridges. It is not tar but more like a shiney glue substance. I am guessing that it is just a difference in the woofers (unless I happen to have 4 re-coned woofers??). Looking forward to your reviews.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Yes, indeed. Saw that page when it came out as a matter of fact. That page was actually testing the Cornwall II while I am doing the Series I. And I am going to be concentrating on 95% subjective opinion and interpretation with no measurements etc. And it will have graphics....but it probably wont be an in depth as that page either... Just depends on how much my enthusiasm carries me...

kh

f>s>

"Finally I would like to tell you that I do not dance and I do not say "Yes, yes ." very often, I do not conduct an orchestra either. But Klipsch Cornwalls encourage me to do all these. Day by day. They put me into complete harmony with the music. They make me happy."

Mitja Borko

==============================================

WOW./... I Loved this quote on the site you recommended...And I agree too.

I Love My Cornwalls.

KH,

Very nice! Have you listened to them yet? If this is your first set of horns, you'll need a little time to get accustomed to the sound, especially if your ears have been trained on "cone and dome" - then you'll love 'em.

My Cornwalls are also 1977 and look identical to yours, except mine have walnut veneer and the black grills are stock. Interesting: look closely at the dust cap on the woofer and you will notice a small piece of cloth, at the tip, which serves as a vent for the pole.

In case you didn't know, your drivers are: K33-B woofer (CTS, ceramic), K55-V midrange (Atlas, alnico), and K77 tweeter (Electrovoice, alnico). Your crossover is the "B network," using 6dB/octave components (simple, elegant, minimal phase shifting) at 600Hz and 6000Hz. The flare rates of the horns provide additional roll off. Cabinets are nine ply, void-free, Baltic Birch plywood - the finest.

When you do your review, which I'm looking foward to, do you think you might be able to comment on high quality solid state verses high quality tubes, particularly in the bass frequencies when coupled to the Cornwalls?

Warm regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 10-26-2001 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for the interesting comments from all. Indeed, I love that quote from Mitja as well. Really a classic and says a lot in a single sentence.

Andy, are the CTS Ceramic drivers not supposed to be as good as other woofers? I dont know much about the different woofers through the years; is that one of the lessor versions, relatively?

As for comments, I am hoping to have a Bryston 4B-ST hooked up just to see how they do, although that is beyond overkill. I will have vintage 14w EL-84 pp tubes, 30w EL-34 Ultra Linear PP tubes, and 3.5w pure class A Single Ended Triode Zero feedback tubes driving it definitely. I really want to hear SS on it just to see. Have some NAD integrated stuff here but sold my last SS amp - trying to borrow a quality SS, however. We'll see.

So far, have listened to them with the EICO HF-81 and the Welborne Labs 2A3 amps.

kh

f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 10-26-2001 at 02:32 PM

KH,

The ceramic magnet CTS woofer is indeed desirable. FYI, Klipsch abandoned alnico woofer magnets in the early '70's. As long as you're getting the spec force field (in this case 11.88 TM), it doesn't matter what the magnet is made of.

Interestingly, if you plug the electrical/mechanical parameters into a "BassBox" program and ask for an ideal design for your K33 CTS woofers, it will give you the EXACT cabinet and port dimensions of the Cornwalls; the K33 CTS woofer is a PERFECT match for the Cornwall cabinets. The later K33-E Eminence woofer, conversely, does not fit ideally into the Cornwalls (still a decent match, though). On the flip side, the K33-E Eminence is probably a little better suited to the folded horn designs when compared to the CTS.

Looking foward to some objective and subjective info on your system.

Rock on,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 10-26-2001 at 04:53 PM

Andy, thanks for the info on the CTS. You know, I did remember that statement you made concerning the cabinet design and the amazing match with design software but I had not known it was with the CTS driver. Interesting. The Cornwall is such a complex speaker with a definite personality of its own and different behaviors depending on source equipment, software, and recording quality.

Gil, thanks for the comments. I actually used a easily obtainable program online called Paintshop Pro 7.0 to manipulate the images (Photoshop is better but PSP is easy and with many of the same options - both have good points and I use each one depending). To get the images, I used an Olympus Camedia C-2020Z digital with 2.1 megapixal resolution. It's really a great camera and is almost as fully functional as a typical manual/auto 35mm SLR.

By the way, if you want to see a full size shot of that photo above, with even greater detail, click

Hi-REZ shot - 77 Cornwall w/out grill

kh

f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 10-27-2001 at 10:50 AM