CobraFlex patent

D-MAN

What Tony said.

The CobraFlex was last made by EV in 2004 (last reference I could find).

My guess is that it sounds fine inside of its bandwidth.

DM

So... we should get one, take it apart and make a mold and see if we can make them?

Yep, 2004 seems to be correct because that's when I got mine....if I remember correctly.

Interesting comment, ajsons, may I ask what you like more about those horns than the EV120? With me it's the other way round: I went from K400 to Cobreflex to EV120......and I like the last best (always with K-55-V)

Wolfram

Boom3,

About 3 years ago, there was a thread called Installing Mike's 511B, where a couple of forum members did listening tests on the cobreflex, 511b and the K-400 horn. The cobreflex was the first choice and the K-400 the dead-end.

Since I was the one who posted about Mike' 511B's I have to say that I like the Cobreflex over the 511's and K-400. So did all the people that I A/B ed the horns for.

I didn't trust my own ears or opinion back then. I kept one room set up to A/B horns and drivers for over a year. Everytime someone different came over I would say, "Come in here for a minute." You know the rest of the story.

Thanks for posting, Q.

That thread was very inspiring, "lots of meat and few potatos". I printed the entire thread then (came to about 1/2 thick, 8.5 x 11's) and I have it to this day. I'm glad I did...Try to goggle search that today....

Armando

I have both 511Bs and Cobraflex horns. I like them both better than the 400s. I had to dampen the 511Bs to overcome a slight ringing but the Cobras were fine as is - must be the gasket between the two halves. The Klipschorn used University speakers in early versions and I read or heard that the Cobras were used in an early version but I can not find where I learned that. I've A=Bed them and think I prefer the Cobras but I think it depends on the material. I have two cobras and I use them as the center speaker in both systems instead of the LaScalas 400s I mount them over my TVs - the mounting bracket that comes with them is very useful. I am thinking of replacing the 511Bs with Al's wooden horns for my Klipschorn system.

marvel, no need to mold-your-own, these things come up pretty often on ebay and since they are "PA speakers" the prices have not gotten outrageous. pick up a pair and let us know what you think, the horns (sans driver) go for a song usually. regards, tony

Interesting comment, ajsons, may I ask what you like more about those horns than the EV120? With me it's the other way round: I went from K400 to Cobreflex to EV120......and I like the last best (always with K-55-V)

Wolfram

Wolfram,

I prefer the cobreflex because it can be crossed at a lower point. The SM120's were my first midhorns and I like them vey much with my Khorn clones, but they don't go low enough for my University Classic.

I like to have a pair of K-400's, but with the way things are going on this forum, with the trachorns, 511b's, 311's and others replacing the K-400, they may end up on my "technological dead-end" shelf with my EV 828HF's (the mailing tube midhorn) .