CD or DVD Player Suggestion?

hach13

Looking for suggestions on whether to purchase a DVD player to serve also as my main CD source or seperates for my 2 channel system. Rotel 980 amp, Rotel 972 pre-amp, Klipsch Forte II's.

I was set to buy a Rotel RDV995 in the 200 -300 range but now have read I may be better off to purchase a new unit in Sony or other brand for the same money or less with better performance.

Or would a stand alone CD player be the better way to go if my primary interest is improving the CD capability of the system.

Suggestions for either for under $400?

If it were my 2-channel-only audio system, I'd opt for the CD player (or CD/2-channel SACD if interested).

I've had excellent results with my Cambridge Audio azur 640C 24/192 CD player; their other model (azur 540C) would definately fit within your budget. Both units should easily best any universal player in sound, performance, and reliability IMO.

Sony S7000. Separate lasers for DVD and CD. Built like a tank. Cult following, lots of tweaks on the web. Sold for over a grand new and the best part is that you can find them used for about $150.

The only problem with the S7000 is that is won't pass DTS ... you need the S7700 if you want THAT! Reviews of the S7700 are not as stellar, but well above average. Also DVD technology was come pretty far since it was released. The SACD format is the industry's "fix" to copy protection ... be very wary. If you can hear a difference, by all means proceed, but with caution. If home theater is in your future, it will most likely have a better/equal DAC.

If it were my 2-channel-only audio system, I'd opt for the CD player (or CD/2-channel SACD if interested).

I've had excellent results with my Cambridge Audio azur 640C 24/192 CD player; their other model (azur 540C) would definately fit within your budget. Both units should easily best any universal player in sound, performance, and reliability IMO.

I agree with these and the ROTEL cd player is very nice although a bit more money.

I like my Panasonic RP-91 DVD player because it has an audio only function which turns off the video circuits. Upsampling and DVD Audio too. I have 2 of them the primary one the kids use all the time for 4 years not issues. SHould be chaep on e bay.

Thanks for the response.

I'll look into the Cambridge Audio and the Phillips. At this point I'm leaning towards a CD separate and continue with my existing Toshiba DVD until I do the full upgrade to surround system.

There are a couple of Rotel CD units I've been watching on E-bay also

Randy

I bought a Cambridge Audio azur 640C back at the end of December for $399 from AudioAdvisor and thought I was getting a great deal. That included shipping. Now I see they have them for 343.95(shipping not included). I really like mine. I would like to hear a Jolida though. But that's more expensive than the 640c.