The Goal of A Good Tube Preamp?

meagain

When I got my modded Jolida JD-100 CDP, it came with 12ax7 telefunken and Amperex Bugle Boys. I read the above about them - that the Tele's were darker or softer. Figured the Tele's would help chill out our sibilance/harshness issues in the highs.

However, we found the opposite. The Bugle Boys took some edge off. Sounded 'prettier'. Popped in the Telefunkens - more sibilance/harshness.

I guess I'll try this swap one more time. Craig mentioned how one tube behaves in a CDP, could behave oppositely or differently in an amp, etc.

I'm still a bit unclear the timeframe I can judge a tube after swapping & turning it back on.

Mark - Since you're here, I have 2 questions for you (or anyone)....

1. I'm unclear if I hooked up the HT bypass option right. I studied the back of my Harman AVR-430, made my guess, then called hubby to get his opinion. He agreed. I hooked it up and got it to bypass the Peach, but have tremendous hum. I also have a TAD-150 preamp that also renders this hum though I'm a bit sketchy if I hooked that up right or how it's HT bypass option works. Anyhoo - after hearing this BAD hum, I scrapped the project and am resorting to physical moving of speaker wire between AVR & VRDs which of course is a huge PITA.

2. In the Peach, there are the 3 tubes in the front... Does each tube port pertain to anything specific? Does one have to put 3 of the same tubes in or can one use a different brand/sound of tube in one particular slot to change an aspect/section of the sound? I'm not formulating my question well.... I.e.; if I wanted a warmer tweeter sound - does that pertain to a particular slot or are they all created equally?