Pride & Prejudice.....BLECH!!!!!!!!!

Tom Adams

Maybe it's just me, but the wife & I rented this movie last night and OMG......... it was Bee-Oh-Are-Eee BORING!! [+o(]

After almost an hour of agony, we couldn't take it any more and turned it off. I am soooooo sorry that I wasted an hour of my projector bulb's life on that movie.

Tom

I unfortunately had to read more than a few Jane Austin's books in HS. Keira Knightley can be pretty hot, but still could not see sitting through that movie, unless she is full on nude. BTW does she get naked? Don't think that was in the book, but you know this is Hollywood.

post-16829-13819284101644_thumb.jpg

I tell you what.......since I posted my original remark, I've read several positive comments about the movie. Additionally, my wife & I have spoken to a few friends who also like the movie a lot. And all of this is from folks whose opinions we respect. So......my wife & I have decided that we'll give the movie another shot. I mean, we just can't believe that everybody is wrong and we're the only ones that are right about this movie. Who knows - maybe we weren't in the right mood or summat.

Tom

• Moderators

Hey Tom,

Don't be so hard on yourself. I wasn't very impressed with it either, and I was a big fan of the A&E version with Colin Firth. Maybe that version was too good in comparison... I was bored throughout, and the ending really didn't have a payoff worth waiting for. It was just ok.

You have to kinda have be a history buff or know a lot of the customs of this era to get into this adaption based on the book by Jane Austen. Some of the acting was terrific, the attention to detail of the times was excellent when taken as a whole combined with the gorgeous spots they picked to film the story. Donald Sutherland had a wonderful time playing the father of 5 unique girls and married to a wife who was somewhat erratic at times. Perhaps if you come from a large family you would instantly recognize the similarities in todays families as the oldest being the most serious, and the youngest ones always in trouble, and always there is a daughter that is her fathers favorite. Judi Dench really did a good job playing the grand old Lady Catherine de Bourg who is extremely proud royal blood who is against this relationship with a commoner. I thought Keira Knightley who playing Lizzie did a superb job of acting, adding a darker and more quiet character then in some of the other versions I have seen. Perhaps Amy in this adaption they truncated parts of the story a bit too much for your tastes such as the ending which you commented on.

• Moderators

I think that was probably it, Larry. It seemed rushed to me. The longer miniseries was able to keep the characters apart longer and build more anticipation, which is the whole point of the story.

The actors did do a good job overall, although Jena Malone was horribly one dimensional and under used as the flakey sister. Keira was a bit "too pretty" for Lizzie, but she is a good actress. Whoever played Darcy sadly paled in comparison to Colin Firth, through no fault of his own.

It is hard to recreate characters many people are far too familiar with, that's for sure! If I had nothing to compare this movie to, I'm sure I would've been more entertained.

And as a foot note, I am a history buff! You'd never guess someone who works for speaker company majored in History, would you? [:)]

Ya'll might want to revisit it ten years down the road when you don't need a constant barrage of explosions, people in rubber suits, people walking on ceilings firing machine guns in slow motion, etc.....

While Dickens wrestles with some of the weightier issues of the time, Austin, in true feminine form, looks at some of the social modes and inheritance laws that had such profound effect on the women of that era.

There isn't a single visceral element that will interest typical contemporary film goers. It's a historical drama steeped in interesting music, costumes, dialogue and social intercourse. For those who enjoy taking a peek back in time, it's a film with high production values, delicate, respectful cinemaphotography, and gentle-handed direction. I do agree with Amy, though-- It's a bit rushed compared to the miniseries, showing the inherent problem with compressing complex stories for feature fims. For those of you who enjoy films like Nicholas Nickleby, Elizabeth, Henry V, The Lion in Winter-- It's a must. But if you're more into movies Gladiator or Troy, it will be a bust.

• Moderators

well stay away from the constant gardener, too

Hey, I liked that movie!! [:)]

I'm definitley not into explosion/testosterone laden films. I just wasn't attached to any of the characters in this verion of P&P, and that's the draw for me when it comes to films--no matter how slow or quick paced. I have to care about what happens to them, or the movie doesn't resonate.

But yes, the costumes and cinematography were fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I saw sense and Sensibility a few years back with Emma Thompson, which is a good movie--

By watching the previews for this, it looks like the plot is very very similar--is it a Jane Austen redux?

Yes, they are both Jane Austen stories. I LOVED Sense and Sensibility...still not impressed with this version of P & P though, as much as I wanted to be.

Plot is vaguely similar, but really only the setting and the fact the stories revolve around two sisters of marrying age.

Wow; I am stunned.

I was a little bored with Sense and Sensibility; saw it once years ago, then only again just recently, with not much of an inkling to dip my toe in that particular cinematic pool again.

Keira's Pride and Prejudice (and it is Miss Knightley's film, make no mistake) became one of my favorites of last year. The supporting cast was superb, the sets and costumes realistic and down-to-earth, and the pacing was just right for a feature-length.

I loved the music as well, and have had the soundtrack in the changer off and on for most of this year.

This is from a Star Wars\LOTR\comic-book movie lover, as well as an off-beat film lover (Memento, Intolerable Cruelty, Raising Arizona, and Sling Blade, to name a few).

It may not have had the intricacies of its source, but having read long passages of it, I have to admit that a more modern translation is probably necessary for a two hour film for the general public.

I'm sorry it didn't appeal to you, Amy... I thought I had you pegged from some of your other favorites, but I suppose we all have different perceptions and tastes.

Heck, I even almost liked Elektra; if it hadn't been for the ridiculous villians, the rest of the story wasn't too bad (it did have the lovely Ms. Garner, who saved 13 Going on 30 from being poor-chick's Big).

• Moderators

That's ok! I think you would've hit the nail on the head for my tastes if I hadn't already seen the A&E version. It just paled in comparison, and made my expectations too high. It wasn't a bad film by any means.