Tweakers Should Document Changes......

M.E. 262

For the future integrity of the Klipsch legacy, speaker tweakers (you know who you are) should document all changes made to stock speakers. In addition, those documented changes should be affixed inside of the speaker cabinet for a permanent record. If not, you are defeating the purpose of people trying to "match" speakers in a system.

I am the original owner of a pair of 1984 Heresy speakers and this past summer traded some equipment for a 3rd 1984 Heresy . In pursuing this 3rd 1984 Heresy, I wanted 3 identical and matching speakers across the front. As it turns out, they were not identical.

In the process of swapping out the original 2.0 uF mylar caps with 2.0 uF GE motor run caps (Supplied by BEC, thank you Bob.), I discovered by chance some changes made to the 3rd Heresy. Someone had swapped out (re soldered) the position of 2 wires coming off of the T2A in the E2 crossover network. (By the way, out of curiosity what would that do or what changes can be made by doing such wire swapping?) Although sonically I do not know whether or not there was a difference, out of principle I rewired the network to its original configuration. The seller had also swapped out the original speaker wire termination strip with a banana plug set-up. That was an obvious change, but the disappointing part of the change was that the connection from the banana plug terminals to the crossover was spliced by the means of bare wires twisted to spade connectors and fastened with "scotch tape".

I did my part by fixing the splice and affixing a dated note to the inside of the cabinets detailing the original caps and when the new caps were installed.

For the future integrity of the Klipsch legacy, speaker tweakers (you know who you are) should document all changes made to stock speakers. In addition, those documented changes should be affixed inside of the speaker cabinet for a permanent record. If not, you are defeating the purpose of people trying to "match" speakers in a system.

That's preposterous!

People don't document changes that they make to a car when they make a hot-rod out of it! It's EXACTLY the same thing with Heritage speakers![;)]

DM

That's preposterous!

People don't document changes that they make to a car when they make a hot-rod out of it! It's EXACTLY the same thing with Heritage speakers![;)]

DM

I doubt my little old Heresy can be turned into a Hot-Rod. Besides, it is pretty obvious when you buy stock/original versus a hot rod.

That's preposterous!

DM

I doubt my little old Heresy can be turned into a Hot-Rod. Besides, it is pretty obvious when you buy stock/original versus a hot rod.

Good luck!! You could also just try poping the back off of the speaker before you buy it.

Why document? When I die they'll bury me with my Khorns. I mean it when I say Heritage = lifetime enjoyment. I need to add "and into the after life".

In all seriousness, all of the tweeks done to my Khorns are reversible and are packaged to protect the orignal parts. If they're ever sold,, they can a) be brought back to original, or B) sold with all of the bonus 'vintage" stuff.

The only disadvantage to this is you can't sell off the old parts to help pay for the new upgrades. I hate that!

M.E.262, you did the right thing. All careful hobbyists document what they did, as much for themselves as for the benefit of a future resale. Most auto hobbyists are very careful about documenting chnages to classic cars, especially in frame off restorations. The finished products should be worth a great deal of money and documentation is essential to getting best price.

This touches a chord with me since I am a certified Configuration and Data Manager and this kind of documentation is essential for all phases of the product life cycle.

I think that when components chance hands the seller has the obligation to inform the buyers of any changes made form stock. the person who sold you the heresey IMHO was dishonest if he did not make you aware of it. regards, tony