DSL is cheaper and faster

Speedball

We have been paying $45.00 a month for computer cable..............swithched to DSL at an introductory offer of $18.00 a month then after a year it rises to $30.00 per month. Just for aswitching over from Comcast we get 3 free months. How cool is that?

And DSL is faster.

It really depends. I have dsl and lately switched to the yearly 14.95

which is a slower dsl. But really who uses 2 megbytes speed, heck

really when webpages are no bigger then 50 kilobytes

But DSL is dependant on distant and straight line to the server

Cable slows down during peak times when everyone is on and downloading massive files since cable you share the bandwidth

DSL is cheaper but Cable is more reliable...... pick your poison

a server is usually located where the telephone company is. Think of it

more like a switch for the telephone but one capable of much more data

at a faster rate to serve the internet. Usually there is degradation

past 3 miles which the speed slows signicantly. That is why customers

in the middle of a unpopulated are may not have the option of dsl. Also

servers tend to be big towers of just computer and such to serve as a

switch from your computer to the world wide web.

I appreciate the answer....we live next to a city of a million people so that must explain the excellent speed.

Now if I can only figure out how to get rid of the Yahoo browser and bring back the Google browser.........any ideas? I've tried a web search and found google buttons and other things ...but just not a browser. Hope I'm not stuck with this crazy Yahoo browser forever.

Yahoo Browser? Google Browser? I don't think either company has a Browser. A browser is like Internet Explorer, or Netscape, or Firefox. Maybe you have your hompage set as Yahoo? For that just click Tools/Internet options, and under "Home Page" change it from Yahoo to Google.

If that's not it, please describe why you call it a browser (what do you click to make the internet come up) and I'd be happy to help you.

As far as DSL being faster, I get 6Mbps with cable here in St. Paul, MN. Not a city of a Million, but still a major metropolitan area. DSL can't even come close.

And as far as needing that speed, it ain't just for surfing the net.

I appreciate the answer....we live next to a city of a million people so that must explain the excellent speed.

Now if I can only figure out how to get rid of the Yahoo browser and bring back the Google browser.........any ideas? I've tried a web search and found google buttons and other things ...but just not a browser. Hope I'm not stuck with this crazy Yahoo browser forever.

Actually, I think Speedball just needs a little computer 101. Server, browser, DSL/cable/Tx, etc.

DSL is not inherently faster (it's the opposite. DSL is usually only an improvement on dial-up), it's a function of your location in regards to the hub/router/splitter/server and the proportional number of users per. Cable has a higher theoretical top speed, but in usefullness on the average cable is faster than DSL for consumer use (unless you're online when 5 million kiddies come home from school at 3:00 and log on to chat and share music). I get 6+megs (known up to 8) at non-peak hours cable download, something DSL doesn't even offer except to businesses. Dollar per dollar (unless you live right next to the hub) cable is usually a better value (unlesss your neigbor is terabyte the terrible).

And as far as deals go, cable companies will usually give you half off for the entire first year. Just say you'll go to DSL and they'll hook you up.

And needing it? I've seen a core with an umbilical of 100+ T3's straight through. This would still hold me back. I want to be remote accessing 5 different desktops while transferring (down and up) large files and doing real time auction bidding in 3 different nations without my access even hickuping. :)

Browser: an application that allows an end user to access and utilize the internet such as Internet Explorer, Netscape Nav, Moz Firefox, etc.

Search Engine: a web-based application that uses a viariety of algorithms based on a number of factors that allows the end user to search for and locate web pages in the engines database based on the search criteria provided, such as Google, Yahoo, AltaVista, Lycos, Ask, and countless others.

DSL is not inherently faster (it's the opposite. DSL is usually

only an improvement on dial-up), it's a function of your

location in regards to the hub/router/splitter/server and the

proportional number of users per. Cable has a higher theoretical top speed,

but in usefullness on the average cable is faster than DSL for consumer

use (unless you're online when 5 million kiddies come home from school

at 3:00 and log on to chat and share music). I get 6+megs (known

up to 8) at non-peak hours cable download, something DSL doesn't even

offer except to businesses. Dollar per dollar (unless you live

right next to the hub) cable is usually a better value (unlesss your

neigbor is terabyte the terrible).

You have it reverse, DSL theoretical speed can be up to 25 mbps. Just dsl rate limits.

Also what do you need 6+ megs a second other than what the kiddies are

doing to share music and movies [:P] Really do you need 6+ megs to open

this forum which is probably at most 50 kilobytes?[;)]

Oh here is a picture of a speed test I once did while I was at work at

a University during the summer while no one else was (students) were

clogging up the bandwidth, though over there it was a oc12, not cable

or dsl.

DSL is not inherently faster (it's the opposite. DSL is usually only an improvement on dial-up), it's a function of your location in regards to the hub/router/splitter/server and the proportional number of users per. Cable has a higher theoretical top speed, but in usefullness on the average cable is faster than DSL for consumer use (unless you're online when 5 million kiddies come home from school at 3:00 and log on to chat and share music). I get 6+megs (known up to 8) at non-peak hours cable download, something DSL doesn't even offer except to businesses. Dollar per dollar (unless you live right next to the hub) cable is usually a better value (unlesss your neigbor is terabyte the terrible).

You have it reverse, DSL theoretical speed can be up to 25 mbps. Just dsl rate limits.

Also what do you need 6+ megs a second other than what the kiddies are doing to share music and movies [:P] Really do you need 6+ megs to open this forum which is probably at most 50 kilobytes?[;)]

Oh here is a picture of a speed test I once did while I was at work at a University during the summer while no one else was (students) were clogging up the bandwidth, though over there it was a oc12, not cable or dsl.

Sorry, you're incorrect. Current technology provides for up to 30Mbps of cable while nearly all forms of DSL can barely approach 10, minus of course, the speed caps.

Opening this forum requires the least bandwidth of anything I do. If I don't have my information pop up unstantly, and I mean instantly, then it costs me time/money to sit and wait for it to load. I have several monitors on my desk that I work with all day with a minimum of 10 IE windows open at any one time. Most of what I do on the net has nothing to do with recreation. I was spoiled at NASA with the ridiculous technology and now I'm stuck in the private world where I'm limited by silly retail consumer tech.

As far as DSL being faster, I get 6Mbps with cable here in St. Paul, MN. Not a city of a Million, but still a major metropolitan area. DSL can't even come close.

And as far as needing that speed, it ain't just for surfing the net.

That was my experience too. Switched from Comcast to DSL and dropped from 6Mbps to 1.5Mbps and it was very noticeable. I moved out of Comcast's area to a local rinky-dink provider and opted for Satellite and DSL. Love the satellite and miss the high speed of cable.

And everyone falls for the cable bid adwar they have on tv. I said

theoretical speed, with speed you pay the cost. DSL is based on

telephone lines which the regular phone line uses 2 of the 6 wires in

the jack. Take a look, but due to the 4 free, they can match speeds of

up to T3 transmissions. But again you pay the cost. I believe dsl

theoretical speed can hit 100 mbps while cable can hit 30

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/us/data/atm/

check out verizon atm transmission which use dsl technology

And everyone falls for the cable bid adwar they have on tv. I said theoretical speed, with speed you pay the cost. DSL is based on telephone lines which the regular phone line uses 2 of the 6 wires in the jack. Take a look, but due to the 4 free, they can match speeds of up to T3 transmissions. But again you pay the cost. I believe dsl theoretical speed can hit 100 mbps while cable can hit 30

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/us/data/atm/

check out verizon atm transmission which use dsl technology

You're getting a bit off base. DSL is not DS-1 or OC-3, nor do they run through the same lines. They may be similar technologies. I have titanium on my Fossil watch, and titanium is used on the space shuttle, but my watch is no space shuttle.

I do not work for Verizon but remember that my high school was ATM that

was why I know that. DSL and ATM works on the same pricipal and DSL can

reach a higher Theoretical speed but then again the interference from

the telephone line will not allow for it hence ATM are usually specific

from the telephone company to the place of use trying to keep a direct

line of sight to throughout.

Titanium is not Titanium Alloy. Pure Titanium is no where near as

strong as Titanium alloy. But again the space shuttle use is totally

different from your watch, in which the titanium failed on the space

shuttle and people die, your watch fails you will not be on time. But

ATM is synonomous with your analogy. ATM is again from business/schools

while DSL is fro home, but it is nice to know that "it can be done"

alloys are metals that are doped with other metals to give a specific

type of property that the user wants. the main metal composed

atleast of 51% by content. I worked in a chemical/materials laboratory

at Stevens for a few years.

I find your question insulting. There are rare and hardly ever

manufactered alloys designed to be weaker than said material. I.E. I

believe is bismus alloy to make an alloy that melts at 100 degrees

farenheit

But yet again what are we talking about in stronger? Hardness, ductility, malleability, tension really what kind of stress test?

http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article20.htm

"Commercially pure titanium with minor alloy contents include various

titanium-palladium grades and alloy Ti-0,3Mo-0,8Ni (ASTM grade 12 or

UNS R533400). The alloy contents allow improvements in corrosion

resistance and/or strength."

"The strengths vary from 480 MPa for some grades of

commercial titanium to about 1100 MPa for structural titanium alloy

products and over 1725 MPa for special forms such as wires and springs."

Lot's of replies here..... I reset my homepage to JuicyMusic Audio but it still does not get rid of ther "browser?" 1-1/2" bar at the top. The bar contains buttons for forward, reverse, stop, refresh, home, print, so on and so forth. I used to be able to make my other one disappear and it was easier to read.

Yeah, a little computer #101 is a good way to describe it..... I can make you a nice cabinet for your home but understanding how a computer works is pretty tough.

Todd, If I can't figure this out I'll take you up on your offer.