DSL is cheaper and faster

Speedball

Two things. One, check under view/toolbars, and you can decide what you want displayed.

Two, go to Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall the Yahoo Toolbar (or whatever it's called-Actually anything that says Yahoo-uninstall it).

Then go to http://toolbar.google.com, install, and your computer should be back the way it was before. (That's actually three things, I know.)

I do not work for Verizon but remember that my high school was ATM that was why I know that. DSL and ATM works on the same pricipal and DSL can reach a higher Theoretical speed but then again the interference from the telephone line will not allow for it hence ATM are usually specific from the telephone company to the place of use trying to keep a direct line of sight to throughout.

Titanium is not Titanium Alloy. Pure Titanium is no where near as strong as Titanium alloy. But again the space shuttle use is totally different from your watch, in which the titanium failed on the space shuttle and people die, your watch fails you will not be on time. But ATM is synonomous with your analogy. ATM is again from business/schools while DSL is fro home, but it is nice to know that "it can be done"

Hmmm... Not sure if you know what you're talking about. ATM is not DSL, however they work on slightly similar principals. They're both asynchronous forms of sending data packets, however that's about where it ends. My original analogy still stands. Planes and autos are both modes of transport, but very different in their process. You only agreed with me in your space shuttle reply.

Lot's of replies here..... I reset my homepage to JuicyMusic Audio but it still does not get rid of ther "browser?" 1-1/2" bar at the top. The bar contains buttons for forward, reverse, stop, refresh, home, print, so on and so forth. I used to be able to make my other one disappear and it was easier to read.

Yeah, a little computer #101 is a good way to describe it..... I can make you a nice cabinet for your home but understanding how a computer works is pretty tough.

Todd, If I can't figure this out I'll take you up on your offer.

Why do you want a google toolbar anyway? It just takes up space and is google sponsored.

The only toolbar you need is the default one for navigation. For Internet Explorer click "View," then "Toolbars" and you'll be able to see which ones you are displaying (those checked). I only check the "standard buttons" and "address bar." With those you can do anything you need on the net. Don't download anything else from google, yahoo or any other search engine (unless you want those redundancies, of course. I find them useless and annoying).

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends. I have dsl and lately switched to the yearly 14.95

which is a slower dsl. But really who uses 2 megbytes speed, heck

really when webpages are no bigger then 50 kilobytes

But DSL is dependant on distant and straight line to the server

Cable slows down during peak times when everyone is on and downloading massive files since cable you share the bandwidth

DSL is cheaper but Cable is more reliable...... pick your poison

I totally agree!!! The Cable vs DSL very 'locality'

sensitive. I use cable and can download from a fast source at 4-5

megs speed without any problem anytime day or night. Most DSL users I

know are lucky to get a small fraction of that speed.

And yes..... anyone who downloads files from the web uses that

speed'[:D] If Im downloading a large file, I prefer not to wait

all day for it to arrive.

FYI.... fast internet connection speeds aren't just for "illegal downloading".

Have you ever tried online gaming? You will find out real quick how good of a connection you have in playing something like Quake or something that is really graphic oriented.

Here's a link to an internet speedometer...

http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_0150.asp

My results were 698.48 Kbps/ 87.31 KBps

I am using Comcast cable. The Icon on my taskbar says 10.0 Mbps.

I figured the Icon might be just that & not actual speed, but I would be interested to see what a DSL user may get on the McAfee site.

I say this because although I do like the high speed, I am not liking paying over $100.00 to Comcast each month.

I felt Comcast was ripping my head off with their higher than others monthly bill. It's not a huge amount but it really adds up over time.

The McAfee Speedometer is really easy to use,there is another one that is just a bit trickier to use and they both very cool to use.

I had verizon dsl 1.5 megs, I downloaded around 200 kbps and uploaded at 50 kbps.

Now I am at college my mom switched out to the cheapest 14.95 a month one and the download is 120 kbps and 20 kbps up

there is the 3 megabytes but I was not in the direct line of the telephone company, though if your in a big city yes.

That McAffee test is garbage. Not even close to being accurate. I like the one ericoegle posted, though. I mean c'mon McAfee says I have 500kbps? Maybe 5 years ago I did. The Speakeasy test says 6205, which is more in line with other speed tests I've done/real life.

• 2 weeks later...

location, location, location, thats the biggest factor. I have the same package jay with verizon, i peak 1.3-1.5mbps down upload about 350kbps on a good day. rofl. This costs 15$ a month, which comes out to 100$, bundled with our phone service. My friend has "Basic" line from adelphia and is capped at 4.5mbps down 567up. If i lived 20 miles closer to verizons relay office, i could upgrade to a t-1 line for a miere 10$, but where iam, i would notice a differance says verizons techies. My bro might get a comp, and ima get one too, so well have 3 comps networked, and hells no this dsl line is gunna provide enough bandwidth, so we might get the prenium service from adelphia which is roughly 6mbps down 756kbps Up for 60$ a month. But If we cancel verizon internet our phone bill will still be around 100$ a month, cause it is a package. : C i hope we can get adelphia cause i dont want to lagg while my brother is playing WoW or runescape.