DSL is cheaper and faster

Speedball

Really? Yeah, i figure runescape dosent use that much, but wow only uses that much, hmm then i think well stick with verizon, or basic adelphia, i just want bragging rights, and ability to dl stuff at like 500kbps. Lol. i mostley play games from the steam, Counterstrike 1.6, HL2DM, DoD, and doom3, Q3, UT:04, and orig battlefield 1942.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest " "

Intresting that DSL may now be quicker than cable...but in terms of costs...we should re-vist the comparison.

To use DSL you need a phone line. In NYC, phone line is 53.00 monthly just to have it on even if not used to make any calls. When you add that to the 30.00 DSL bill, total is now 83.00.

Cable internet access does not require a phone line. Cable in NYC for internet access is 59.00 monthly (assuming you just want road-runner and nothing else).

In my house hold, as in most that I know of in the NYC area...every member of the family (5) has a cell phone...we turned off our land line years ago.

Years ago when we were comparing DSL, Cable, we were on dial up to a major ISP that charge 21.00 monthly. We all had cell phones at the time and only used the land line for internet access. At that time, dial up ISP was 21.99, plus the 53.00 land line charge, total was then 74.00.

Summary.

cable 59.00

DSL 30.00+53.00 for the land line=83.00

dial-up ISP 10.00 to 20.00 per month plus that land line cost of 53.00=63.00 to 73.00 per month.

Horever...since all our phones support edge wireless technology (newer from of cell phone GPRS), and have blue tooth, we are looking at internet connection from our blue tooth enabled desktops and laptos via our blue tooth enabled cell phones, and are considering if the time is right to quit cable altogether. We mainly use the internet for e-mail, and light research.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure where the ad above is from, but it's not quite accurate. A T-1 is only 1.5 megs of bandwidth. No seperate upstream/downstream rates on one either. The price is also way low for a real T-1. Sounds more like a way overpriced DSL connection.

Want fast? Get a T-3. About 44 megs of bandwidth, and it's still on 2 pairs of copper [:)]

I am really looking forward to more fiber being rolled out though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ijust switched to DSL about a month ago, mainly because the dial-up was dumping me two to tree times every time I got online, hangs, no connects, etc. I pay 29.95 per month for Alltel DSL 1.5 meg. Then eliminated the second phone line ($30.00 per month) then eliminated the dial-up ($19.95 per month. The dial -up was giving me 200 spams per day and now I get about 2 per week. I have never had one dump, delay, slow speed, hang,, or no connection since DSL. They offer 3 meg for $35.00 and 6 meg for $45.00.

The Siemens modem was $9.99 and the outside house filter was $19.99. I turn it off all the time and sync time is about 10 seconds. The router was about $47.00.

I am happy as a pig in mud as now I have all this extra time (1 hr per day) and have to revise my retirement schedule. Retirement can be hell trying to fill in the extra time.

JJK