Plum tuckered out....they came, they listened, they ate and they left.

maxg

At about 6:30 yesterday evening I slumped into the settee in a state of exhaustion after a long day and a total re-arrangement of my living room in preparation for the hordes of audiophile goths about to decend on my house.

At quarter to 7 the first ones arrived and at 12:30 the last ones left. During that period the music never stopped and only one record was allowed to play an entire side. I think I set the world record for speed of changing with a linear tracker / outer ring and inner weight.

I guess there was 25 attendees in total (not including a very weighed down pizza delivery guy) and hopefully everyone got to hear some of the music they like.

I cannot possibly type the list of what was played in here - I have it on a spreadsheet and if the system will allow me - I will attach it here as a zip:

I wonder if you can imagine how tired I was by the end - the trouble is I was so wired I could not sleep and ended up chatting with Tony on the phone at 2 am.

AFAIK everyone was impressed with the sound - if the reviews are good I will link to them at some point (and if not I will deny everything). Certainly if requests are anything to go by...."Max - I dont suppose you have.....oh you do....could we..." I have a kick butt system. Failing that - I have a kick butt collection of music - so either way I am ahead.

Certainly we can score one for the Denon 103 - nobody could believe that one, and another one for my SS Tsakiridis amp (everyone was convinced it was an EL34 tube). Sub/speaker combo went down well too I think but I am jumping the gun - lets wait for the reviews.

Ultimately there is nothing like 25 opinions of your sound to really test a man's metal. When such come from experienced audiophiles it is all the more interesting.

music program for aca meeting 18 March 2006.zip

Thanks DD,

Charlie,

I am trying to hold off on telling you all what they thought of the system until such time as the formal review is written. I am expecting a very positive review from what people were telling me - but you never can tell.

What they say to your face and what they will write can be very different things - not because they are trying to mislead - it is just difficult to tell someone if you really dont like things to their face.

As far as I can tell the whole system - including the ZTPRE passed with flying colours - but it was the amp and the cartridge that were the real shock of the show:

There is a thread over on the ACA forum you can now read http://aca.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1165

Within the thread is the link to the formal review which has been setup but not completed yet.

Wolfram,

It was fun - but exhausting. They are systemphiles rather than musicphiles in the main which meant I had to keep changing the record incessantly. Suddenly an MP3 jukebox almost seems like a good idea!!!

I think I changed 50 records - which is no mean feat on my TT I can tell you. I think the Denon is going to amaze you - it has me, and a bunch a Greek Audiophiles who spent more than its cost on cable risers and the like.

Hopefully the full review will be in place shortly- should make interesting reading.

They are systemphiles rather than musicphiles in the main...Hopefully the full review will be in place shortly- should make interesting reading.

Much as I enjoy listening to different systems every now and then, a really good rig eventually makes me forget the mechanics of reproduction and enjoyment of music takes over. But I am sure something along the lines will be mentioned in the review as well [:)] - plus I suppose the aim of such a club is indeed focusing more on gear as the enjoyment of music will simply be taken for granted [:D].

Anyway, I shall be looking forward to the review.

BTW: Max, how well does your Denon track? - You know those inner groove sopranos (though experiences might vary with a standard arm) can be quite a tough nut to crack.

Wolfram

Wolfram,

On this arm the Denon will track the North face of the Eiger. It is an unstoppable force - largely helped by its high tracking weight I think.

CMD,

I cant remember where the playlist entries originally sourced from to be honest. The initial part was my own but after that I was more the DJ taking requests.

The funny thing is that looking at it all aferwards I realised quite how many disks I planned to play just got dropped in favour of others.

The biggest surprise was a record I picked up last week in a bit of a panic. It is a Supertramp album that I figured would come in handy to bolster my limited Rock stock. Of all the records played this was the one that really struck home with the listeners - they went crazy over it and we played 1 and a half sides of the album - they would not let me take it off.

Sadly I cannot at the moment recall which one it is - it is not Breakfast in America.

Max,

one more reason to hope that the tax collector will be merciful...[;)].

Was the LP 'Crime of the Century'? I really like Supertramp's 'Live in Paris' album. Theirs was the first major rock concert I attended......not in Paris but in Vienna (where they performed the same songs anyway).....and playing those records does bring back fond memories....[<:o)].

Wolfram