Looking to improve my audio system. Would like help

pumalicious

2 klipsch quartet loudspeakers

Nakamichi TA-4A High Definition Tuner Amplifier Strasis Receiver

Carver Multi CD Player SD/A-360 Linear Single Bit D/A Converter

Basic Toshiba DVD Player

Budget- no more than 1000-2000

Im looking to improve my system. give it that extra edge

Im 19. I listen to all forms of rock, jazz, funk, reggae.

I watch all kinds of movies

Ratio between music and movies is about 50/50

Not sure about what roomsize will be next year.

I dont know a whole lot. something i was thinking about doing was

getting a Klipsch 10" sub or Klipsch 12" sub (depending on price) and 2

more speakers (my receiver doesnt seem to be set up to take a surround

sound. although im not sure how to tell. when i look in the back

there are 4 hookups for speakers, and various hookups for cd, video 1,

video 2, etc) As far as adding two speakers, i would like to add

2 more quartets but havnt had luck finding them. ive found plenty of

heresy II and III's, but im not sure if those are capable of matching

up with the quartets or not.

Any input you have will be much appreciated. If you would like to

evaluate my system right now, give me your take on what you would do,

or just help me with my options i would appreciate it a lot.

P.S. please use terms i might be able to understand. novice when it comes to stereos

Sub woofer good place to start; Is your NAK 5.1 ? You really should be 5.1 for movies or concerts. If for some reason you don't like it (5.1), you can switch it off, and listen to 2 channel. It took me over a year before I used mine at first, I didn't like it right away, now I won't be without it. For music, I turn off the center channel, like the sound better without it. Quartet speakers seem to be a hard find, so Heresy's might be a good choice to fill out your HT. Keep your eye on the forum, you never know what you'll find here, maybe some Quartets. Always equipment for sale by members, good stuff, good prices, and many members offer good advice. One more thing, your DVD player, they have improved alot over the last few years, and a new one isn't a big cash drain, considering the improvements in them, take a look at them. Bottom line; enjoy what you have now, and don't waste time wondering about what you don't have. Seems like your in pretty good shape equipment wise right now. Enjoy!

Id recommend interconneting cables between you source and amp dont have to spend heaps I have a Pre/power setup and run a cable for each channel to the amps and a cable for Multi output from my SACD player into my preamp.

Before i did this I thought my system was lacking something.(espically since i listen to a lot of multi channel audio) I got recommened to upgrade my interconnets and boy did that make a difference. It bought every thing to a new level. I found myself enjoying my listing all the more.

A sub is also a good choice but id recommend cabels for sure.

Your reciever is not capable of surround sound (at least it doesn't seem that way).

For $2k you actually have quite a few options too. But first off, what do you think about your quartets? I'm sure at 19 space might be an issue in the future (ie college), but you might look into upgrading to a pair of cornwall or chorus speakers. There are a pair for Chorus II's for sale in Michigan for $750.

But more importantly you should look into upgrading your reciever - especially if you foresee surround sound in the future. You should be able to find a Denon 1906 or 2106 in the $500 range. And then for subwoofer you would be hardpressed to beat the bang for the buck offered by the Klipsch Sub-12 which can be found for $490 at Best Buy right now. So you might even be able to land a new pair of mains, a sub, and a reciever for $2k...and it would totally transform your system to a whole new level. And if you keep the quartets they would make a good match for surround speakers...so later on down the road when funds replenish you can look into getting a center channel to round out the 5.1, but for now you can go with a matrixed center (which sends the center channel info to both the LR mains).

I would AT LEAST 'audition' a new CD player ... I THINK your Carver is ~ Circa 1995 and DACs have gotten MUCH better. Your Quartets (are TOO short and) will sound better if they are rasied up about 4-6" (Garden Pavers are a great cheap way to see if you don't agree) or at LEAST tilt them back, ala Heresy risers. Your Nakamichi was pretty well thought of in its day and 'should' have plenty of good clean power; that said, receivers usually skimp a bit on the power supply. Unless you are trying to fill up too much space (i.e., the Quartets being too small for the room you are trying to use them in), you should get plenty of good natural bass @ 100 watts rms.

I would AT LEAST 'audition' a new CD player ... I THINK your Carver is ~ Circa 1995 and DACs have gotten MUCH better.

I don't remember the model numbers I had experience with but the old Carver CD players were fricken amazing...we used to have one in the studio until we "upgraded" and I have been missing it ever since.

And if the DACs in your particular unit do in fact stink, then just use the digital output on the player and take advantage of the DACs in the reciever (which is why I recommended Denon...they use very nice DACs in their prestage).

There are many paths to audio nirvana...the best advice I can offer would be to consider where you want to be in the future and then only make purchases in that direction - starting with the things that will make the biggest immediate difference (that way you can better appreciate the smaller differences later on).

... And if the DACs in your particular unit do in fact stink, then just use the digital output on the player and take advantage of the DACs in the reciever (which is why I recommended Denon...they use very nice DACs in their prestage ...

He listed the Nakamichi TA-4A as his receiver ... which I am reasonably sure is 2 channel unit - NO DAC I assume. I had an old Carver CM-2002 Integrated (Stereo) Amplifer that had a built in DAC ... Nice amp section ... I would pass on the rest of the unit. If he was willing to replace his receiver, I would agree that is where to focus the attention