What electric bass tone do you love?

rockbobmel

Oldbuckster,

I do love the sound of an acoustic bass. It is mostly because of it's scale length that gives it that deep sound. I only have played electrics. I believe bass tone comes from your soul and fingers, but you need a good instrument to let that come through.

I just bought a fabulous bass called a Dingwall Afterburner 5 string. It has fanned frets that make the scale of the B string 37" and the G at 34" and in between respectively scaled.

The strings are very even and tight and thunderous!

post-16679-13819284608134_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it for basses.

Awesome assortment of basses, be proud of those bad boys. The sound of a bass needs to be made with strings, not a keyboard, I don't have to tell you. What do you think about Rickenbacker, you never answered that? They do have their own sound, very unique. What do you use for amplication? Enough questions for now.

That's it for basses.

Awesome assortment of basses, be proud of those bad boys. The sound of a bass needs to be made with strings, not a keyboard, I don't have to tell you. What do you think about Rickenbacker, you never answered that? They do have their own sound, very unique. What do you use for amplication? Enough questions for now.

Buck, I love thr "Rick" sound. It is very unique. I had one since high school (4001 with checker trim) and just traded it a few years bacl. It needed a lot of work and I wanted to go 5 string. I always tried to cop a Chris Squire sound (with no success). He used a series of amps/effects to get his sound. (I can't recall now). Also check out a band called "Spocks Beard". I think they started as a Yes cover band. He gets it perfectly.

Anyway, you asked about my amps.--- I am currently using a Gallien-Krueger 2000RB (1000w Briged) into either a Mesa Boogie (4-10 AND 1-15) in 1 box highly modded., Or an Ampeg 8-10 older cab that I refurbished. My amp prior to this that I still have, A Mesa-Boogie Bass 400+ (used 12 6L6GC tubes).I also have a nice 1972 Ampeg V-4(Magnavox) head that uses 7027A power tubes, a 1969 Sunn 2000S head that I bought cheap and had it brought back to life. A Sinic 1-18 theil cab, an Eden D4-10XLT that is really nice, and I just bought a classified ad 2-15 Fender with a bad speaker that I put 2 Celestion 15s in.

post-16679-1381928643591_thumb.jpg

post-16679-13819290721862_thumb.jpg

post-16679-1381929468831_thumb.jpg

VERY cool thread.

I am a big fan of Phil Lesh all throughout his career. He turned the bass into a lead instrument.....much like Jaco Pastorius did (THE king, IMO). He could pound you and take you through all manner of spaces with that instrument. He also seemed to really popularize the use of the Modulus bass - once Phil got one, it seemed lots followed. Anyone here play, or are familiar with a Modulus?

VERY cool thread.

I am a big fan of Phil Lesh all throughout his career. He turned the bass into a lead instrument.....much like Jaco Pastorius did (THE king, IMO). He could pound you and take you through all manner of spaces with that instrument. He also seemed to really popularize the use of the Modulus bass - once Phil got one, it seemed lots followed. Anyone here play, or are familiar with a Modulus?

I am not a Dead fan, but doesn't Phil design his own guitars and his amplication? He is deeply involved with the history of the instrument,and understands the electronics end of it. In my opinion Phil/ Bob Weir carried the load for the Dead, great team, like Jorma/ Jack, West / Pappalardi(GOD could Felix make a bass Blatt), Clapton/Bruce, the list is long and great. A lead guitarist playing a lead, a bassist beside him playing his own run, sweet music to my ears. Pete Townsend/ John "the Spider" Entwistle, the bass, just carrying the load, almost the lead in that group. Enough of my rambling, don't even get me going on the Rhythm section, Drummers and Bassist, that's another thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Chris Squire, and don't string me up, but Paul McCartney was in this band before Wings and had a pretty good tone on that Hofner in those days.

btw, see that photo above of Lesh from the Dead? I have those exact Bag End (Alembic) cabinets shown in the photo with 2x12" EV and 6x4" JBL. They are wired to biamp, there is no internal crossover whatsoever. Things are beasts to move, 7 ply Birch plywood and the 12's are in separate sealed subcabinets, I guess in case one blows the other can continue on. I bought them for mid/hi PA or keyboard use, but now seeing them in a bass rig, that would be one smooth sound. Maybe I'll keep em and take Bass back up someday. I'm just a frustrated musician, with all these tones in my head and no way to get them out. Most sound engineers are ex-bass players anyways....

Michael

Michael,

Nice comments. PLEASE follow your heart if you got the sound in your head. My sound has changed, but the old ones still live.

I really dig playing in various bands. My talents are soso, but I just play what I hear (for the most part). The down side is that if I couldn't play for some reason, I would go into a deep depression.

Guess I'll have to rock on...........

Colter; Paul McCartney, isn't he the guy that wants to change Lennon/McCartney songs to McCartney/Lennon, now that George died? George would not allow it while he was alive, Ringo, he doesn't care, it was a free ride for him being a Beatle, he was a fill-in, not a first choice. That is wrong, leave it alone Sir Paul. In the spirit of this thread, you are right, he is a good bassist, though I find his music kinda, ah kinda, can't put my finger on it, what am I trying to say, SUCKS. Sorry about that, it kinda blurted out, forgive me. His work with the Beatles was good,Abbey Road, and Let It Be, were his high points.

Bill Wyman of that other british band, was a pretty fair Bassist. Always fluid riffs, never a wasted note, solid rhythm, always on the money. Just something about Bill standing off to side, playing his bass in harmony with Charlie, God what a Rhythm section. All this Bass talk gets me thinking, Booker T and the M.G.'s; Duck Dunn, can that dude lay down a Bass line or what? Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn, that my friend is Greatness.The Stax house band, hit after hit after hit!!! Is this a great thread or am I losing my mind?