Two recievers with one set of speakers?

spaaaz

I've actually built an amp switcher for just such an occasion...well....I actually need to finish putting it together. It's all relay based, housed in a nice heavy aluminum chassis with banana plugs, and dummy proofed so you don't have to worry about blowing stuff up (specifically tube amps or anything with transformers on the output). Eventually I will implement a remote control feature for it as well. Let me know if you're interested and I can send some pictures and prices your way. (I know it's in the $100 range...). It'd be a good excuse to go home for a weekend and get some home cooked meals and my laundry done [;)]

As far as your source material you can just use y-splitters on all the outputs and have everything plug into both recievers - there should be no signal degredation. Or if you want, it would be trivial to have a customized "switch" built for you too (perhaps even integrated into the amp switcher).

The only other option I know of is the Niles amp switcher, but it was the poor speaker terminals on the back that spurred me to design my own.

And then radio shack sells some line level switching stuff too...for like $40? I forget...they have a new remote version too. There are lots of options out there...

What would help is if you could list your specific equipment (especially the recievers)....there are always lots of expensive ways of doing things, but sometimes there are cool tricks you can do with the equipment you have already.

I have been looking to do the same thing for a while. There is no easy answer that I have found. A few weeks ago there was a unit on ebay that was designed to do this for an audio show room. It was more than what I wanted, very bulky and designed to switch between 20 amps and 20 speakers. I regret not bidding on it.

The issue, from what I've seen is, needing to keep a load on the amp when you toggle to the new speaker. I have read online where people have simply used an Adcom speaker selector backward and have lived to tell the tale. But with my luck, I'll fry one of my babies.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge.

Peace,

TommyK

Keeping a "load" on the amp is mostly a concern with tube amps and then

a few select SS amps. I forget the official term for it, but I know it

has to do with the fact that an open circuit on the output (no speaker

connected) puts the amplifier into an oscillation state which is about

just as bad as shorting the outputs (lots of current flow happens which

means lots of heat which means meltage). But for any other topologies

it's a complete waste...so if your receivers don't blow up with no

speakers attached, then you don't need to go with anything fancy at

all...heck, you could make your own switch for like $40 after shipping

(or even cheaper depending on how nice you wanted it to look).

But a good safe amp switcher is always keeping a load on the amplifier,

which is very easy to do with a relay based system (It's just a 4PDT

for each stereo amplifier). The trick is finding resistors that can

handle a good amount of power from the amp without melting and without

introducing nasty inductances (which can really damage the amp). You'll

want something around 50W, 4-10ohms and non-inductive...and

there aren't too many resitors like that on the market. Partsexpress

has some on buyout and then I forget the company that makes the ones I

go with...I wanna say a Mills power resistor from partsconnexion?

I have a Niles DPS1 speaker A-B selector that I think maintains a load on the non-used amp. It allows you to use two sets of speakers on a single amp or two amps on a single set of speakers. I don't remember, but I think I paid less than $100 for it. I have a Scott and a Yamaha that share time on my Khorns. I have been using it for almost 2 years with no problems.

http://store.yahoo.com/federalstereo/nilps1cdauxo.html

Above is the link for a Niles switchbox which will allow you to connect two amplifiers to one pair of speakers. They are RCA connections. I use with for a tube pre and HT receiver and have not had any problems with it.

The "other" Niles box allows you to conect two sets of speakers to one source. This box however does not accept any spades or bananas, only bare wire up to 14 GA.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/federalstereo/nildpamabsel.html

G-Man said: Scott, How do you think I switched to the HT so fast all those times you were over????

Your pal,

The G-Man

-------------------------------------------------------

I guess I just figured you were gifted![:D]