How does ultra 2 compare to rf-7's?

HTADDICT

Just curious, how would my rf-7 setup compare to the thx ultra2 setup? I have rf-7's all the way around except for the center channel which is an rc-7, 2 svs pc-ultra subs with sms-1 eq.

1 thing I know it has over mine is the matching center channel, and since there isn't a setup of the ultra around my area, how would you compare it to an rf-7 setup such as what I have?

There are 2 reasons I didn't go with the ultra-2, one was that there isn't much on the used market, and I like to be frugal. The second is that I prefer the looks of the rf-7 setup over the ultra 2 speakers hands down, any day!!! I'm just wondering if the ultra 2 setup is waaaay better, or is comparable to the rf-7's and both would sound good. Or is what I have probably better than an ulta 2 setup? Anybody have any opinions on this?

I personally think you made the right choice already, the RF-7 will kick *** for music and movies and can provide ALOT more horsepower when called upon versus the THX Ultra 2 system that is primarily gearged towards cinematic audio reproduction.

You want more out of your center have DeanG rework the network in it for you.

I think your arrangement will spank the Ultra 2 THX system, I know mine can without even breathing hard.

Well the RF-7 can go about 6dB louder than the Ultra2's assuming power compression is the same across the board . But it's not because the bandwidth being reproduced by the RF-7 woofers is far wider (6 versus 4.5 octaves). I'd say it's more around 3dB (nothing to write home about). At low signal levels, the RF-7 should be 5dB louder than the KW's, but only when you consider 2.83V on the output. Due to the low impedance swing, the RF-7's are pulling just under 4 watts to achieve 102dB of output. If you reference it down to 1W of power, you are looking at 96dB at 1m. Likewise, the KW-120's are probably around 96dB at 1m 1W. It has everything to do with the bandwidth of the drivers...the RF-7 woofers have to do more frequencies and that requires the efficiency to go down (which they try to bring back up again with larger woofers). The KW's don't dig as low so they don't need to be as big.

Having heard both systems I can confidently claim that I much prefer the Ultra2 system over the reference...and even prefer it over all the old heritage. Music/voice/and all things audio "live" in the midrange and the new tweeters on the Ultra2's are so much better than the horns in the RF-7's. There is also a much better transition into the smaller, closer packed woofers. I don't understand how people ignore this when it comes to klipsch, but 10, 12, and 15 inch woofers simply can't do 1kHz very clean. The way I see it, the Ultra2 design sacrifices brute power for a very smooth midrange.

A few comments about the Ultra2 system:

First, it is an entire system. Klipsch did a very nice job of integrating a clean transition from the subs to the mains and you'll notice that it's also a stereo subwoofer configuration. It's not really an apples to apples comparison when comparing the KL-650 to the RF-7...so you need to compare the KL-650's and KW-120's to the RF-7's and the RSW-15.

Second, it was designed to be flushmounted. There are all sorts of acoustical advantages when flushmounting that were taken into account with its design. Sure, it sounds great free-standing, but it wasn't optimized for it. You've got baffle gain which would extend the low frequency extension down to about 25Hz on the mains and then you've got a much better controlled dispersion pattern which will result in a much more solid midrange. You can't flushmount the RF-7 system (rear ported) and even if you could you would have to implement extra circuitry to compensate. So again, not really an apples to apples comparison.

Third, the Ultra2's were built with large projection screens in mind, which means a small speaker is required in order to achieve optimal placement (and we all know placement is key when it comes to speakers). There is no going back after you've heard a perfectly timbre/height matched system. No matter what you do to that RC-7, it isn't going to sound like an RF-7 (and if you think you can get it to sound like an RF-7, then why don't you go with RC-7's all around instead and save some money in the process?)

All that said, you've hit a point of diminishing returns...you aren't going to get back what you spent on your reference setup and then the extra cost of the Ultra2 system makes it a very expensive and relatively small upgrade...though many would consider it more of a lateral change.

What you really need to do is start thinking room acoustics. For very little investment you can totally transform the sound of your entire system. Just to throw a number out there, the room is responsible for over 50% of the entire percieved sound. At the level of speaker you have, why bother worrying about 1% of possible difference when there are much bigger issues to worry about? It's like bragging about how clean you can get a small portion of a window when the rest of it is coated with mud.

I've had both side by side in the same room and set of many of both. Both are excellent but once properly calibrated, the Ultra 2 is the clear winner in my book. It simply disappears and leaves you breathless, where the Ref 7 is awesome, but does call attention to itself. The bass response on the Ultra 2 system is seamless, insanely powerful and DEEEEP. The Ref 7 system sounds great in the midrange and top end, but the Ultra 2 takes this refinement a step further in my book...and that includes music.

The Ultra 2 system is more of a pain to set up, needs proper calibration and isn't as pretty, but from a sheer performance standpoint, I'd say it is the best system Klipsch builds right now.

The rxv 757 Yamaha will only be around until I figure out which amps I want, and then after that, will be replaced with a processor after hdmi, hd-audio & blu-ray are somewhat stable. It was a temporary purchase to passify me until I can get what I want, how I want it. The technology just isn't quite there for me yet. Short list of possabilites are aragon (amps), rotel, outlaw, sunfire, sim audio, EAD(amps) etc. Reccomendations aren't necessary, it'll be a while and should be in a different thread anyway.

I do not think for one minute that I would spank a thx setup, and in many respects, it would probably be the other way around. I wish I could have both setups, but alas there can only be one. I know one thing for sure, home theater on my setup is surreal, as I'm sure it is on a thx setup. I don't really care if one is better than the other, I only wanted to know if they would compare on the same scale. I love my rf-7's, they aren't going anywhere. I am sure there are alot of shortcomings to the reference's that were addressed with the thx's, it truly was a very smart way of handleing a perfect HT situation, I think Klipsch got it right in alot of ways with the thx's. But they'll never look as good as my reference's do.:)

BTW, Dr. who you've said exactly what I think, it's just that you put it so much better than I ever could have.....and Room acoustical treatments are the first and foremost things currently on my mind, I'm slowly learning, I don't want to go throwing up a bunch of foam and insulation all over the place without haveing a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. I've got a pretty good grasp on the basics, I just need to come up with ways of makeing it look good enough to pass the wife's standards. But when it come to the HT stuff, I usually have the biggest say of what goes into the room.

That was another reason I didn't go with the thx's, I felt the RF-7's would have been a little easier for me to set up since this is a family room and not a dedicated theater, plus I don't consider myself to be a guru of HT, and felt the references would be more than enough for me, it took a long time to save up for these and by being able to purchase them used I got alot of bang for the buck that I could've never gotten with the thx's because you just don't see them used like you do the reference's.

i guess I'd have to go and have a listen on the Ultra2s. My dealer told me that the ultra2s are much better than the reference, but he just seemed like the type of guy that buy things based on specs, not by realistic comparison. I will go and have a listen myself when I have the time and chance.

Can someone give me the MSRP of the Ultra 2 system?

I wanna say around $13,000 for the entire 7.2 setup...

Sound research labs is selling it for $10,750, but I think it's the 5.2 version.

http://www.soundresearchlabs.com/product.asp-itemid-691

Btw, in my searching I came across this website:

http://www.sonic.net/soundscape/klipsch/thx.htm

and I noticed that a lot of the descriptions were idential to "thesoundbroker's" website:

http://www.thesoundbroker.com/KlipschTHX.htm

Dunno what the deal there is...just found it very odd is all.

I have a question about the installation of the Ultra II system. I just found out my house is closing on April 26th, so I will not be able to purchase the in-wall version of the Ultras II system. The installer was going to use a rotatable bracket to install the speakers to the wall. Should the speakers be flush mounted to the wall, or should I use the brackets to direct the sound at the listening position? I am not very happy with the installer. He should be able to answer my questions. Also, what is the best way to calibrate the system once it is installed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well you always want every speaker pointing at the listening position

(flushmounted LR mains require angled walls...) - so definetly go with

the mounting brackets on the wall.

As far as calibration...set every setting to where it sounds the best.

It's like asking how to tune a race car (it's always different).

I just requested a folder so I could put some pics up, we still have to request a folder right? I also put in a request on the "what would you change about this forum" to be able to put a link in my signature so people could click on it and be directed to my pics, that would be alot easier, and way more user friendly. I'm pretty new to the whole picture thing and still use dial up so it's kind of a pain. Now if I could only figure out where you guys find your avatars!!

Well, you can just attach a picture inline with your post....at the top

you will see an "options" tab, under which there is the option to

upload a picture. When you click post it will automatically be added to

the bottom of your post. You get one picture per post.

As far as avatars...try searching for some here:

http://images.google.com/

I have owned the RF7 system and do now own the THX ultrs 2 system. I like them both but the winner is the THX's.By the way i am selling my THX system 3 kl650's, 2 ks525's 1 ka1000 and 2 kw120's. I have all boxes and it was purchased directly from Klipsch while i worked an at AV dealer. I am asking 5000.00 obo. I need to get some new speakers in a darker woodgrain to match the new motif.

Btw, in my searching I came across this website:

http://www.sonic.net/soundscape/klipsch/thx.htm

and I noticed that a lot of the descriptions were idential to "thesoundbroker's" website:

http://www.thesoundbroker.com/KlipschTHX.htm

Dunno what the deal there is...just found it very odd is all.

What the deal there is that they copied my website. I personally write each and every word (well most of them) and every description. Thanks for pointing this out since the site in question used my description without permission...they even cut and pasted my images which were edited for size. At least they aren't using the ones off my server! I spend an inordinate amount of time designing and writing my site and am very proud of my work. I'm going to send them a friendly little letter asking them to write their own website...or ask my permission and give credit where credit is due.

Kevin

www.thesoundbroker.com