George Wright 2A3 Push/Pull Monoblocs on Audiogon

mikebse2a3

This is just another example of how subjectivism/personal preference plays the biggest role in what a person enjoys and settles in with. I used the Wrights with the Peach, and heard severely underdamped bass and a thick syrupy midrange. Compared to the QUADs I was running at the time, there seemed to be a complete absence of dynamics. I had them in the system the week before last years Indy get together, and Parrot and myself had decided to drive up together -- so he showed up a bit early and I fired them up with some material he had brought with him. When the recording reached the rather busy and dynamic section of the performance that he was looking forward to hearing, he turned to me and said, "That's it?" Really, I think the TEAC is a much better sounding amp -- in as far as what I need and expect from an amp.

That's amazing considering Paul is such a big fan of SET amps[;)]

"I bought a Crown D75 for the tweeters as Scott Fogg said that he had

hiss problems with JBL 2404's (but I did not notice any problem with

the K77's - I'm going to 2404's in my forthcomming setup). "

D75 is just a smidge of overkill for the tweeters... don't you think? ;) How quiet is the D75?

The hiss on the Teac may or may not be a problem in your system. It depends upon how quiet your room is.

If it is a problem I can reduce the hiss level of the Teac.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/652637.aspx

If needed just pay shipping and I'll mod your Teac to reduce the hiss level for the tweeters.

The Wright would be fun to try on the mids (I was briefly considering

it too) but the Teac does such a good job it seems silly to me to spend

a grand just to try it.... esp. as in my case I'd need three of them.

Shawn

I bought the Crown from a forum member that was using it for tweeters. It has gain controls so I can turn it down. The specs are really good.

I would like to mono bridge one of the Teacs (for 60 wpc) and activate the extra channel on the other (for a four channel amp).

Chris

"I bought the Crown from a forum member that was using it for tweeters. It has gain controls so I can turn it down. "

The input level controls might help in the overall balance but they

won't change the amps own self noise levels at all. They would work

like the input level controls on the Teac. Good for attenuating noise

ahead of the amp but they don't help the amps noise itself.

Anyhow, try it out and see how it goes. Make sure you double check the

Crowns behavior to be sure it doesn't have turn on/off transients....

those aren't good when bi/tri-amping.

Shawn

Shawn:

I was wondering how you set those up. Neat!

I had gone back and forth about the need for a chassis for these things. I'm sure you have seen them before, since there are a couple of others on this forum who have used them for projects. The guy who puts them together is here in TX, and I think the name of the company is IAG (International Audio Group).

Craig/Rick: Why don't we establish an application-specific definition for the words 'toy' and 'POS.' Really! lets discuss the requirements for true, 'non-toy' status. Both descriptors were cast with confidence, but the meaning is not exactly clear.

Why not begin by considering and completing the following question:

"An amplifier (or any audio component) is only 'REAL' and/or 'VALID' when it..."

Lets make a list and have some fun with this!

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly agree with you. I own a pair of AU15's. I drive them with a modified Counterpoint 5.1 Preamp. They certainly don't provide anemic sound as has been expressed on this site. The AU15's are a pushpull 15 watt/channel 2A3 amps. They will easily drive any speaker with 90 db. or greater sensitivity. Also, George Wright is a very nice and honest person. I am sure the Mono 10's sound very similar to the AU 15's.

"Also, George Wright is a very nice and honest person. I am sure the Mono 10's sound very similar to the AU 15's."

I think the difference is the interstage transformer?

I think Dean was listening to Dee's 3.5s. He certainly wasn't describing my Mono 10s.

But then Dean didn't sound impressed with his PP 300B amp either. Maybe he doesn't appreciate syrup after all.[;)]

Rick