David Lanz, James Galway, any fans?

Coytee

I've never heard these guys mentioned here...anyone here fans?

David Lanz, I found him years ago, driving down the road and I heard a SWEET piano version of "Whiter Shade of Pale" and immediately fell in love. I raced home, hit tape recorder so I could document what the station said and of course, they never did. I called them and they told me it was Lanz. I've since bought most of his cd's and even saw him once here in Knoxville. He put on a very nice show. Just him & his piano on the stage. I also think his "Cristofori's Dream" is a very nice piece.

James Galway, I would have thought to have heard of him here. Perhaps they've both been mentioned (I didn't do a search). I don't recall the first thing I heard by him, probably Canon in D. My current favorite of his is "Ashokan Farewell" or "Song of the Seashore (Hamabe No Uta)"

Would't a flute sound very natural on horns? I know when I turn it up a bit, you can hear him breathing. Wife pointed out to me that the flute makes its sound right at the mouthpiece so it's no wonder the mic is right there to pick up his breaths... (was trying to brag on my Khorns & she was calling me on it [:$])

How about Frank Mills? (piano) of "Music Box Dancer" fame? He was a favorite of mine back in the early 80's but since giving all my vinyl away, I don't have any of his stuff. I always thought the "B" side of Music Box was a very nice piece (The Poet & I)

I can only really comment on James Galway. I do have some of his stuff - but I have never been all that big on the flute.

He was hugely popular in the UK for a while in the late 70's early 80's and even hit the charts a couple of times. I think the UK got Galway'ed out after a while. Certainly a good flautist and if I was going to listen to any it may as well be him - but doesnt quite get the blood flowing like a good violinist, cellist, pianist....

Your dead right Max, James Galway was a POP star in Britain when i was still there, "the man with the golden flute", you could'nt turn on the telly without seeing him. My wife has a cd in the car of his, do'snt play it much. But he sure can play...

Galway plays with no soul. He has an attitude that says I'm the best so get over it and be quiet while I play. He is good, but I don't like him. I would much rather listen to Chris Norman and his wooden flute. Takes me away. He plays a pre-Boehm designed flute

My wife and I have a cassette of Cristofori's Dream, purchased when the alblum first came out. Great music, but we never managed to get the CD or any of his other music.

I have a few of Lanz's CD's. His piano always sounds amazing through Klipsch speakers. I'm a big fan of the version of Whiter Shade of Pale which features the original keyboardist from Procol Harum (sp?) playing the organ. I believe it's the version on Cristofori's Dream.

Coytee:

David Lanz is one of my favorate "new age" piano players. According to the concert program I attended in Seoul, Korea recently, he is credited with starting the "new age" scene in the '80s. I also learned that he lives in the Seattle area... Nightfall is indeed his best work, IMO as well.

I used to like James Galway...until he stormed out of a concert preformance in Charlotte, NC only after one song... in the late '80s because there was a baby crying in the audience. He never returned even after the poor mother took the baby and herself out of the hall.

Own few of the Frank Mills CDs and LPs... also picked up his Canadian music CD while driving around Canadian Rockies... The melodies are nice but he started to play on electric piano on most of his later releases that's flat and doesn't sound good at all to my ears...

Now for something completely different: not really different - but other solo piano artists I like (you would like too if you like David Lanz)

George Winston (as mentioned here)

Yuhki Kuramoto (my current favorate - truely original melodies that are different and beautiful. He also plays cover songs including Music Box Dnacer in his "Time for Love" CD)

Christopher Peacock (another North West solo piano player... Most of his CDs are soft cover tunes)

And there are so many more... playing solo piano music through tubes got me hooked on Khorns... even my other fine speakers such as Quads and B&Ws, don't do justice to piano as the Khorns do to my ears.

Ki

Galway plays with no soul. He has an attitude that says I'm the best so get over it and be quiet while I play. He is good, but I don't like him. I would much rather listen to Chris Norman and his wooden flute. Takes me away. He plays a pre-Boehm designed flute

My wife and I have a cassette of Cristofori's Dream, purchased when the alblum first came out. Great music, but we never managed to get the CD or any of his other music.

I have a CD with him and Cleo Laine in which he drowns her out, which is a shame because her voice was the best part of that CD for sure.