INTERCONNECTS COPPER OR SILVER

jcmusic

I agree with the comment several posts above that, generally speaking, there is a difference between silver and copper. I agree that silver is thinner sounding in the bass, but that it can have a little greater clarity compared with at least some copper.

I've had Siltech silver I/C's in my system for up to 10 years, and there has been NO corrosion or deterioration. However, I understand that there is good silver and not-so-good silver where smoothness is concerned. One should use brands/models that people have had good experience with.

I see silver vs. copper as partly a cost issue and partly a system balancing issue. Silver probably shouldn't be used unless the system has an especially full sound.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold is the best conductor; silver is number two.

Silver does indeed oxidize (i.e., there is such a thing as silver oxide).

Silver I/C's were harsh sounding on my system. I used I/C's made from a twisted pair of varnish-insulated 30 gauge magnet wire (Radio Shack grade, not OFC or single-crystal or anything like that) and I am very happy with them.

Gold is not the best conductor. the reason why nasa uses gold is that gold does not oxidize, you will find most gold mines with the pure form of gold. Gold is a 4th if I am right, I posted this information and the exact scientific measurements of thermal and electrical conductions. I was working at Stevens Institute at the time which allowed me access to textbooks which have those exact measurements.

Silver is number one, copper a very close solid two and so on

In all the hookups I've done over the past 26 years...and that is a LOT of hookups...I've preferred copper cables over silver. The ONLY exception that has been consistant has been the Wireworld Gold Eclipse (which, contrary to the name is a pure silver interconnect). It is the only one I've found to have the right combination of purity and richness. But...it is BLOODY expensive. So...I nearly always stick to copper unless the client really wants to spend the $$$$.

Hi Canyonman,

I've been making interconnect and speaker cables for over 5 years using various materials for many systems and I always come back to copper. Easier to work work with and the sound to me is more 'natural' (better lows and highs) than silver. I have developed a single core (1mm thick) cable in a teflon coating with Eichman or DH Labs RCA's. Gives a new definition to the mid range, silver could never do.Turning out to be well excepted by some critics.

Cheers

It's simple. I find some high quality copper (usually expensive IT strands/core cable) strip it out of its plastic dielectric, go to great lenghts to clean (proprietory process) the strand then feed it through good quality teflon tubing and solder the ends with Cardas quad solder, making sure the ends are sealed with heat shrink and not open to air contact. That's my cable pictured. I find the less strands of copper (using single core) the better and more 'free' the sound becomes. The sound of the 'room' in alot of recordings becomes very noticeable as do some of the minute details that tend to get lost with multistranded cable and cable that is 'over shielded'. As you notice this cable is not shielded and I believe that is one of its strengths. I have done lots more experiments but I won't bore you any more. Hope this helps.

It's simple. I find some high quality copper (usually expensive IT strands/core cable) strip it out of its plastic dielectric, go to great lenghts to clean (proprietory process) the strand then feed it through good quality teflon tubing and solder the ends with Cardas quad solder, making sure the ends are sealed with heat shrink and not open to air contact. That's my cable pictured. I find the less strands of copper (using single core) the better and more 'free' the sound becomes. The sound of the 'room' in alot of recordings becomes very noticeable as do some of the minute details that tend to get lost with multistranded cable and cable that is 'over shielded'. As you notice this cable is not shielded and I believe that is one of its strengths. I have done lots more experiments but I won't bore you any more. Hope this helps.

You should go into the cable business -- you'd fit right in.

When you move to a different conductor type there is definitely a

difference in the sound. The people who say there isn't are those who

haven't bothered to compare.

Thanks Dean. That's exactly the way I feel. I think most people just go by what others say without giving them a try on their own.

It's simple. I find some high quality copper (usually expensive IT

strands/core cable) strip it out of its plastic dielectric, go to great

lenghts to clean (proprietory process) the strand then feed it through

good quality teflon tubing and solder the ends with Cardas quad solder,

making sure the ends are sealed with heat shrink and not open to air

contact. That's my cable pictured. I find the less strands of copper

(using single core) the better and more 'free' the sound becomes. The

sound of the 'room' in alot of recordings becomes very noticeable as do

some of the minute details that tend to get lost with multistranded

cable and cable that is 'over shielded'. As you notice this cable is

not shielded and I believe that is one of its strengths. I have done

lots more experiments but I won't bore you any more. Hope this helps.

Say consistant, that sounds an awful lot like the Magwire Nakeds I use. Those are by far the best sounding and least expensive ICs I have ever used and I don't plan on ever changing them out. They are two single core conductors made of magnet wire.

Here's a pic of mine...

post-15109-1381928664822_thumb.jpg

post-15109-138192909235_thumb.jpg

post-15109-138192948848_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, and the speaker cable I use looks like regular old 16AWG lamp cord, but is by Monster Cable. Nothing special, it doesn't even have terminated ends. Actually, come to think of it, it came on a 50 or 100 foot spool.

I used to have the KK 8TC like Dean, and probably still would, but it was only an 8' pair and would not reach in the current room/system configuration.

I guess you can say I'm just a no-frills copper kind of guy. [:P]

Chops...looks very similar in configuration, one difference is that I do allow the copper core some room inside the teflon. I try for 12 to 14 AWG (mil spec) TFE tubing. I have used a number of methods and materials for the dielectric, even had bare wire of different sizes, but this seems to be the best 'package' to date! I still poke around with R & D when I have time and I do sell these little wonders of mine. I also do XLR IC'S and these are superior (IMHO) than anything else I have ever heard.