How does a vertical Cornwall sound best - upright or on its side?

I have been considering a single vertical Cornwall on its side as a home theater center channel between two Klipschorns, however I was wondering how well this works considering the ports would no longer be orientated near the floor.

PWK said they sounded better ("Preferred" is the way the catalog put it) with the speaker vertical. However that was because the tweeter was closer to ear level that way. The mirror image Cornwalls were designed that way so that the K-77 could be in the highest corner possible in either orientation. When Mr. Klipsch realized few Cornwalls were being used sideways, and what an aggravation it was to keep a matched pair together from assembly through shipping, storage, the showroom and finally to the customer, he went to the horizontal design. He said the smaller horns had essentially the same dispersion in either orientation.

He never mentioned propping them up on one corner. I'll have to try that...

I'm running 2 of them in a parallel configuration as my center channel, Front mains are Khorns, similar to your setup. They are oriented on their sides just over my television. To my ears, I have not listened to a better setup.

When enjoying the HTS, I can hear even the lightest whispers in the dialog, and the clearity is unmatched by anything I've heard to date. But that's not to say the Horiz. cornwalls wouldn't do just as good, I don't know, I have not tried them in that arrangement.

Corvette6769 wrote the following post at 04-06-2006 6:01 PM:

I have been considering a single vertical Cornwall on its side as a home theater center channel between two Klipschorns, however I was wondering how well this works considering the ports would no longer be orientated near the floor.

=====================================================

A older vertical cornwall in between two K horns is a fantastic center on the side so the horns are horizontal. I tilt mine up ever so slightly to the listening position towards the couch in my upstairs HT, and have them built into a book case under a HDTV 61". With K horns, I prefer The V Cornwall on the side even over a La Scala or Belle. Mainly, I want a speaker that sounds BIG and can go a lot lower than a La Scala or Belle too. Especially with K horns.

As much as it sounds crazy, K horns ALSO make wonderful front left and right channels for HT.

I think if your just listening to a pair of Vertical Cornwalls as left and right channels system, the older Vertical Cornwall upright, spread apart in the corners or wall if your in the sweet spot, is harder to differentiate... With the nod to a higher height with the vertical.. My own gut tells me however that the older vertical sounds (speakers on the side so horns horizontal) fills the room up more.. (OK, I will say it..even if PWK said otherwise.)

• 16 years later...
On 4/8/2006 at 1:54 PM, Gilbert said:

I'm running 2 of them in a parallel configuration as my center channel, Front mains are Khorns, similar to your setup. They are oriented on their sides just over my television. To my ears, I have not listened to a better setup.

When enjoying the HTS, I can hear even the lightest whispers in the dialog, and the clearity is unmatched by anything I've heard to date. But that's not to say the Horiz. cornwalls wouldn't do just as good, I don't know, I have not tried them in that arrangement.

Gilbert can you provide me more information on this setup? I have la scala left right and have vertical Cornwalls I don't want to part with. I know this post is dated but I'm looking to do something similar in 2023 🙂