KLF-20 and RC-3 Bad Match?

raneman

I'm a Klipsch newbie and need some help/info. Bought KLF-20s a few months ago (great price). I was planning to scroung up a C-7 but added an RC-3 a few weeks ago upon the recommendation of my local dealer (he said this was a great match). Well, when I set things up with my Avia DVD and sound level meter I was quite disappointed. RC-3 didn't seem to match very well in the pink noise "sweep" and "click" tests. Have listened quite a bit in the last few weeks and remain unhappy. Have tried playing with every setting I can thing of (small/large, center EQ adjustments, etc.), but things sound better with the RC-3 off and my KLF-20s doing all the work. Seems either the RC-3 gets buried or I have to crank it up about 5 dB and then it doesn't blend. Now I find the Klipsch forum and notice almost everyone with KLFs uses the C7. Found one post that mentioned the RC-3 wasn't a good match with the KLFs, but was looking for more information. My dealer is "seeing what he can do," but it looks like I might get stuck with the RC-3. Just wondering if it's me or if I should push back on my dealer for his bad (in my opinion) recommendation. I'm even considering selling my KLFs and starting my speaker search over. Thanks for any information.

Setup:

27" Sony Wega

Yamaha RXV1000

Mitsubishi SVHS

Sony DVP NC600

KLF-20 mains

RC-3 center

Old Infinity rears (to be replaced with KSP-S6s if possible-not taking a chance on Reference rears)

Monster Z1 and M-series cabling (no bi-wiring yet)

Hey raneman your klipsch dealer was following SWYG economics (sell what you got) I would never had told a customer that the rc-3 could even be close to matching the sound of the 20's. you have two problems there..

1) the efficiency of the twenties is going to overpower the center channel thats why you have to crank it up 5+ db.

2) the drivers in the tweties are made of special polymers rather than aluminum base as is the rc-3 and that is one of the things that gives the klf series the ammunition it needs to hanle bass transients the way that it does.

Your dealers comments are bogus if he had set up the center with 20's (i've tried it with klf-30's) he would have heard that they don't match too well. it could be that he was trying to offer you the best compromise with what he had to show you i. e., the rc-3.

get a c7 you'll feel better about your system, whatever you do don't get rid of the twenties you will regret that.

Thanks for the feedback KLIPSCHHOG. I really do like my KLF-20s and want to keep them. Don't necessarily think the Reference series sound bad--just different. For me it was a no-brainer when comparing KLF-20s at close-out prices to the RF-3s, which were the only Reference speakers out at the time. I am looking forward to hearing the RF-7s though. I'm going to try to work something out with my dealer so that I can get a C7. He's actually a pretty good guy overall, and I take some responsibility for not doing my homework.

raneman

If your dealer will not do you right on the speaker shoot me a email. I am getting some rf-3's friday and need a matching center. chadrobbins@earthlink.net

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: KSB 3.1

CENTER: KSC-C1

REAR: Looking for some

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

You guys are 100% right. Thanks for E-slapping me back to my senses. I try to stick with my local dealers, but a guy can only be so loyal when they aren't offering any advantage. You might find the update to my story amusing (or just sad). A week ago I offered to exchange the RC-3 and pay a reasonable difference if he could get me a C7 (black). OK--so I guess I'm lazy and waste money. Finally got a call back, and he wanted to know if I would take an oak C7, pay him the considerable difference, and then paint it black! That was well past my tolerance limit. Don't think so when I can buy a new black C7 online for about the same I paid for the RC-3. At least I finally got him to commit to taking the RC-3 back. Oh well, live and learn. Now I'm off to buy a C7 online.

You won't regret it at all Raneman. My local dealer only had the RC-7 and I had it on order, but after posting a similar message on this forum, I cancelled the RC-7 and ordered a KLF-C7 online. I am very pleased with that decision. It even saved me a couple hundred dollars. (The RC-7 is an amazing center channel, just not timbre matched with the Legend speakers.) I used that money to upgrade to the RS-7s as surrounds. It all sounds awesome together.

Hey Raneman I'm glad to see that the dealer is going to come through and take back the RC-3. But before you take it back why not take his advice and paint it another color just to see how much he would like it? Some dealers can be crazy just trying to get a sell. I'm starting to agree more and more with this BB's slant toward e-tailers.

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Raneman

Make sure you return the RC-3. I purchased KLF 20s from Tweeters at their discontinued discount price and the salesman was outstanding. He found a KLF C-7 demo at another store which was two years older than the 20s. Perfect match. Technical Services at Klipsch informed me that I got a perfect match and a great deal on the three speakers. Waiting for RS-7s to complete the system. Good luck and good listening.

Huhuru

This message has been edited by Huhuru on 10-31-2001 at 05:44 PM