$1000-$2000 to spend!

blackadder

I need to setup my audio system now and have $1000-$2000 to spend. I don't think I need anything too powerful because I still live in an apartment, but I still want something nice.

I have everything but a receiver and speakers. I'd welcome any suggestions on where to purchace (online).

Have you ever heard of the Klipsch brand of speakers? [:|]

We may need a little more info.

Is this for 2-channel only, or are you looking to build into an HT?

Do you think you'd like large speakers?

Would you consider used(pre-listened to)?

Yes, I was running a home theater off the Promedia 5.1's with the small Klipsch decoder box. I figured it was time to get rid of that and just wanted some suggestions on a good receiver/5.1 or 6.1, definitely with Klipsch speakers. I would prefer satellites because I have mounts for those already.

Id rather get new, but would be against used.

Thanks!

I think you should forget about satellites, because the regular satellites don't fit on the Promedia stands anyway.

If I were you, I'd get a set of 25s (or their new replacements, don't remember the model numbers) all around. They are wonderful little speakers. Get the 4x RB-25s, and 1 RC-25... then buy a Panasonic XR-70S digital receiver, and spend whatever money is left on the subwoofer.

I would prefer satellites because I have mounts for those already.

Id rather get new, but would be against used.

Thanks!

If you are dead-set on getting a sub/sat type system, then I'd recommend the Reference Cinema 8 package paired with a good reciever such as the Denon AVR-2805 or the Harmon-Kardon AVR-435.

If that is to rich for you, then go with the Cinema 6 a cheaper reciever such as the Denon AVR-1805 or H-K AVR-240.

If you are willing to stretch it a bit, go with the Cinema 10 and perhaps with a higher-end reciever, such as the Denon AVR-3805 or H-K AVR-635.

Also, don't rule out the possibility of using something like a good bookshelf or even a floor standing speaker upfront, with perhaps, the satellites to take up surround duty.

Still, for a small sub/sat type system, those Cinema packages are nice and they do sound quite good. Definitly a step up from your ProMedia set (although, those little ProMedia speakers are no slouch themselves - they will easily best many of the so-called "HTiB" setups, including the rediculously overpriced Bo$e Life$tyle systems).

It depends on your ultimate goal. Personally, I would rather have

an excellent 2 channel system than a 5 channel I don't like. Ask

yourself, is this something you plan to live with for 2-5 years, or is

it a bump in the road to get you by?

If you can live with it a few years, try to find some RF-25s assuming

you have the space for floor standers, or four RB-25s if not (these

have been replaced with RF-62's & RB-61s respectively), a RW-10

sub, and the most important speaker in you HT is the Center, so

spend the money for at least a RC-25/62 or better center.