Cornwall Vault

DizRotus

I sent a pair of CF3's to a member in NY using the container method and Forward Air. I had to pack them in myself, and there weren't suitable hooks for ratchet straps, so I just had to put a bunch of cardboard boxes and stuff around them. They arrived okay. I think it's by volume, not weight on the shipping charges.

I have used the vault a couple of times. Most recently to send a pair of Cherry Cornwalls to Gilbert. I can attest to the lack of customer service etc. The money order deal is a pain as well. But you can be sure that the speakers will arrive in one piece. If I were buying a pair of corns again I would certainly use the vault again despite the hassle. When I sent the cornwalls this last time I brought them with me to the forward air terminal in San Francisco and had the guy drive the vault out into the parking lot where I loaded the speakers. I then had to get the guy to come back out with the forklift and bring them back inside to have em weighed so I could get the money order to pay for the shipping. I have moved around a lot of speakers and normally do not have an issue but I have to say loading them on my own in the parking lot was not easy! I would recommend that if you go this route, that you have someone with you to help with the loading!

I know that Audible said that they are not used to dealing with customers off the street, and yes that is true, but the lack of customer service extends to the pros as well. Being there for a few hours I got to chat with a number if the truckers who were also picking up shipments. They said that Forward air is reliable but a pain to deal with and that they go through hassles and time wasting every time they go there! I guess it comes with the territory!

Josh

josh

I have posted this before, maybe this will help.

North American Van Lines (NAVL) will pick up large bulky items at your door and deliver them to another person's door. Already sounds easier then Forward Air, no? What is it worth to NOT stand in line, deal with idiots and run off to get a M.O.?

I used to do a lot of things with pinball machines. They are big, heavy, bulky and the 50s-70s machines are like old Heritage speakers...they are not replaceable. For about 300 dollars you can have a pinball machine shipped door to door. This is about the same size as a pair of khorns, more or less. It takes about a week. You don't even have to pack them up. They will wrap them in blankets and cart them off. Personally I would do some packing myself them let them wrap my creation in blankets.

For a quote, call Michelle 1-800-959-8880 ext 2842 with the two zip codes you need.

Many, many pinball people I know use this method with great results. It is my understanding that NAVL prides it self on shipping odd, large, valuable items at reasonable prices. YMMV.

FWIW, I had a very rare 1971 pin shipped to me by Forward Air. Syracuse to Baltimore. It was about $100 bucks and while they were not lightning fast when I picked it up, it went pretty smoothly. It was custom crated by the seller and arrived in perfect condition.

Hope this helps someone.

• 4 years later...