La Scala and low end limitations???

jorjen

Jordan,

This is what Dennis had posted a long time ago:

The taper rate of a LaScala is 100hz,The mouth area is good for 125hz. Below this it is a big woofer in a small sealed box.

So yeah, the box is too small, and the horn isn't big enough. This is his reason for porting it through a larger box. Depending on the driver used, it's flat to 31Hz (or thereabouts). Tuned right, it still sound like a horn, but goes far deeper than the LS normally can go.

Just waiting for the time to pick up the lumber to build some add on bases for mine to go ahead and try it. I would even be happy with 40 Hz, compared to the 70 or so we get now. I do love them anyway.

Bruce

Or is it the folded horn design, with a large woofer that barely moves, but which is amazing efficient and incredibly low distortion, but therefore does not need what used to be very expensive high powered amplification? [H]

If the La Scala bass bin were taller making the

doghouse/woofer chamber larger, would that do any good at all?

The rate at which the cross-secitional area increases as you move down

the horn is what defines how the horn behaves...so by arbitrarily

making the bass bin taller you are effectively destroying how the wave

guide works.

And if you want the horn to dig lower then that is what the khorn and jubilee are for [;)]

Good points DrWho. The horn size issue makes perfect sense. Just tryin' to maximize what I will be living with. My Rosewood Khorns have been gone for almost three months now, nothing I can do about that. The La Scalas will be just fine.

I may tackle construction of a pair of Jubilees down the road. First, I am contemplating a full makeover of the La Scalas. Kind of thinking of a La Scala II thing, Brazilian Rosewood(certainlywood has some nice veneer right now)or possibly some Cherry, also toying with Mac. Ebony, split and collared cabinet, one inch walls, grilles and such. You know, nothing major.[;)]

Of course I realize this will not do anything for the sound, just the WAF.

Jordan,

Sounds like totally new cabinets if you do the split collared thing. You could try the closed in back and ported. I did find in some old post of Dennis' that the 10" ports were for the K-43, as they have a larger magnet structure and can handle the lower tuning caused by the 10" ports. The K-33 should only be around 5-7". He was making some for PA use that had JBL 2226G drivers (600W). The G is a 4 ohm model that he says requires no crossover changes. That would be some serious output and power handling.

Bruce

I have heard la scalas on classical and pop to Pink Floyd. They sound to me a bit thin. It could have been the room, but the rolloff seemed pretty high like 50-60 cycles.

If I implement la scalas, there is no question I will implement a sub, especially for classical music. I have plenty of classical material that isn't even appearent unless you have strong 20's response (like a quality sub)

HSu research used to post a list of recordings with 20hz content.

For example: there are a couple Enya (of all things) and Vollenwieder songs that have upper teens to about 25 hz content.