Klipsch may have ruined me for other speakers...

Fortissimo

Fortissimo,

I'm probably blind, but what kind of system you running?

I haven't listed it on purpose. That kind of thing turns into a point of contention on a hifi forum. There are one of 4 possible reactions:

1) Excellent gear, I like that stuff (translation: it's expensive, or falls within the taste of the other poster(s))

2) Never heard of it (can imply inferiority, but it's an unknown and impossible to guage)

3) Good gear for the money (There is better to be had)

4) You really should upgrade and try XXX. (Implies it's crap)

I have modified/DIY gear. It's nothing other folks have heard.

The speakers are Forte II, that's they key factor of commonality.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Folks, long time.

Even though I left the klipsch camp last summer, I found myself looking back and thinking "what if" I went with some Heresy's instead of the decision I made.

I now think I have a good grasp on what part of the industry Klipsch holds and why you guys and geezers are so loco over them. PWK really brought the horn out of crappy PA systems and made them capable for high fidelity, so we all look to him as a true pioneer in the audio scene. A no-nonsense, no-bullshit kind of guy, the kind which everyone appreciates. His speaker designs are so efficient as a result of horns that you can drive them at normal and even loud listening volumes with a 1-5W tube amp, SET amp, t-amp, or any low powered amp that would power a 4ohm-sub 90dB efficient speaker horribly.

Please keep in mind here that there are great speaker brands that are designed from fantastic engineers that learned from the best, including PWK. PWK's patents aren't the 'end all be all' of hi-fi audio and you'd be a fool for thinking so. It's been around 50+ years since the heritage designs and while there is a lot of bad cheap crap out there, there is some good stuff from other manuf's that sound as good if not better than Klipsch.

So I ask that just keep in mind that while you may not care about learning about all the interesting developments in the audio world over the past 50 years, the hi-fi scene in some areas has changed for the better and it shouldnt be dismissed as whole.

-Joe

Since I started the thread, I didn't exactly "diss" other brands. I did state that there are a lot of expensive boutique brands (often vanity products) that do not sound realistic, can't handle rock, and don't sound as realistic as klipsch.

Often, rock music is like kryptonite to snobs. Much like Klipsch tends to be. "Ahhh!!! You like KLIPSCH???? YOU listen to ROCK music????" (insert additional snide comments about shoutiness, rap music, and any other condescending audiophilism here)

I will be shopping this summer in the Seattle/Tacoma and Spokane area for a two channel system. I am deeply considering la scala and klipschorns. That is for a specific type of sound.

I am also considering a system along the lines of vandersteen 3a signitures, Gallo acoustics or maybe VMPS RM30's. Time will tell, because I will decide in September.

This is a Klipsch forum however, and it makes no sense for me to be here if the focus wasn't klipsch.

"I am unapoligetically a Klipsch audio enthisiast"

Erukian,was your handle Soundbug1 before, you seem to have toned down your attack on Klipsch? NO really, you have a right to your opinion, and a person should buy what products fit them best. I don't believe this thread was started to knock, disrespect, or in any way defame other speakers, it's Klipsch owners writng about the product we like, no more, no less. I own H2's but believe me, if we got into a heated debate, I would not use H2's as my focal point. Cornwalls, LaScala's, Belles, and finally in this corner, the Heavyweight Champion of speakers, the Klipschorn would be what I would throw at you, and you better be ready. Heresy's fill a void for people who don't have the room, or maybe the money for those other speakers.Room filling sound in a small package, that's what you get. Don't you think many on this forum have owned other brands of speakers before choosing Klipsch? How many NON audiophiles even know about Klipsch? I've said this before, it's not the speakers,or the amps, or the cd players, or the turntables (for you vinyl guys) you use, it's the MUSIC that matters. This thread is just Klipsch guys talking Klipsch stuff.

Hello, I am Oldbuckster and I am addicted to Klipsch

I'm yet to hear anything better

than a pair of cornwalls (im not a fan of the khorn or lascala) - and

I've heard my fair share of uber expensive setups.

This caught my attention. So what is it you like so much about the CWs that you don't like about the Scala's and Khorns?

My own $0.02 on Klipsch...

I have had plenty of different speakers over the years in my system; Magnepan MGLR, Infinity 6 Kappa, Def Tech BP10B, JBL L112, AR AR-9 & AR-11, small Tannoy towers, small KEF towers, Klipsch KG 5.5 & KG 3.2, Meadowlark Swans, and even a pair of DIY 3-way towers.

Eventhough some of those speakers provided good sound (some better than others), none of them compare to the effortless sound of the Cornwalls. The CWs just have a "large" and powerfull sound to them that none of the others can match. I have to admit, the KG 5.5s came somewhat close. They had more bass output, but they didn't have that Heritage midrange and treble, nor did they have the good looks or build quality of the Heritage line.

BTW, just curious... Has anyone ever compared Klipsch to some of Westlake Audio's speakers? How about those all-wood horns of thiers?

post-15109-13819295218242_thumb.jpg

Zingali monitors are *awesome* horns with the omniray horn. The monitor 12's are in the $5K-$6K range

Westlake's prices scared me much like avante-garde.

The flagship tower is about $80 kilobucks.

For a simpler setup: www.pispeakers.com

But I digress. This forum should be by and for Klipsch enthusiasts. NOT a platform to hawk the competition. And not a pulpit to rail against Klipsch or convince someone to buy something else.

IMO, you are here to support Klipsch and Klipsch owners, or you should not be here. That would be a pointless, and irritating existance to those of us Klipsch o-philes.

If I wanted to read about the negative criticisms of Klipsch, or "Oh man you gotta buy the "XXX" brand", then that is what all non-Klipsch forums are for.

Specificity is an all too rare thing in the audio world and is often

the source of a lot of misleading information. Knowing what gear and

what music one listens to or hasn't listened to entirely puts opinions

into perspective. And the response to those opinions is entirely up to

the reader and should not influence the writer.

This forum would be very boring if all we did was praise Klipsch. And

you will notice that Klipsch almost encourages talk about all the other

brands - if nothing else it helps them know what their customer base is

looking for. I think you'll find these forums are more about achieving

audio nirvana than anything else - whatever route it takes to get there.

Nah I disagree. If only people who liked Klipsch were here, then they can share enthusiasm. It would only be boring for the anti-klipsch types.

There has to be untold numbers of audio forums out there. *NONE* of them are all that kind to Klipsch. Some are downright snobby.

I say keep the klipsch forum Klipsch, and those who don't like klipsch, stick to the other umpteen Klipsch-hating forums. People can always go there if they want to feel bad about the speakers they have loved for decades. Not that I don't enjoy some uppity internet audioflake denegrating stuff I like in a forum for the brand. Otherwise the name of this place might as well be "allspeakersandklipsch"

Oooh! Please, More anti-Klipsch rhetoric! it builds character! Not.

It's like walking into someone's house that has had Klipsch for 20 years and saying: "Hey! Those really really suck! When are you going to get REAL speakers?"

"The door is this way--->"

WOW! My system sits in my current sunroom, the dimensions are 12X9 which means my LaScalla's would be just a we bit overkill for that area and that is why my sig says the annual block party!

But the rig I have in that room sounds fantastic even without Klipsch in the mix and I have never heard not even once any of these:

1) Excellent Gear (but very nice quite a few times)

2) Never Heard Of It!

3) Good Gear For The Money (once got a holy CR@P, what that cost!)

4) You Really Should Upgrade And try XXX (I generally send snobs packin')[:D]

I paid no where near retail for any of my gear and as a hobby at 49 years old I'm under 10 grand for everything I own in gear and could not be more pleased.

I will say I love the sound of the system in either speaker configuration and appreciate both for their qualities and strengths[;)]

My .02 and remember "Rock-N-Roll ain't noise pollution"[:o]

"Please keep in mind here that there are great speaker brands that are designed from fantastic engineers , there is some good stuff from other manuf's that sound as good if not better than Klipsch."

Maybe, but I have only heard gear that sounds as good for triple the price. As for "better" than Klipsch, that is tough..... at any price.

We are starting to get off track again, I thought we were writing about Why Klipsch ruined me (us) for other speakers, not comparing, or bashing, other speakers, or the people who choose to use other brands. This or any other forum, must stay open to opinions, for or against, to present a fair view of the subject matter, or do I have it wrong?

I really like Klipsch...I was fortunate to score (and rebuild) a set of Klipschorns...I have Heresys and a set of RB-5s enroute...I find that I no longer enjoy my car stereos...both have the Bo$e systems and I did enjoy them before I bought my Heresys...Klipsch has ruined me for other speakers...Hello, My name is Bill and I am a Klipsch-O-Holic...Bill

We are starting to get off track again, I thought we were writing about Why Klipsch ruined me (us) for other speakers, not comparing, or bashing, other speakers, or the people who choose to use other brands. This or any other forum, must stay open to opinions, for or against, to present a fair view of the subject matter, or do I have it wrong?

You are right. The segue came from folks that wanted to discuss non Klipsch products, and downplay klipsch in general.

If, for example someone enjoys thier $700 RB5's, and someone else says "Yeah, but the 25th anniversary Dynaudio bookshelves are better IMO."

Ok, fine but

a) The dynaudio are $4,000 a pair vs $700 a pair

B) The dynaudio IMO, do not have the impact or realism of the RB5 IMO.

So, "opinionalysis" and subjectivity aside, Klipsch of all kinds give me realism that is frequently lost in other designs. And I measure realism using Klipsch as a yardstick. Not just because of the sound, but also the fact they are comparatively inexpensive. They have ruined me for other things.

"Eventhough some of those speakers provided good sound (some better than

others), none of them compare to the effortless sound of the Cornwalls.

The CWs just have a "large" and powerfull sound to them that none of

the others can match. I have to admit, the KG 5.5s came somewhat close.

They had more bass output, but they didn't have that Heritage midrange

and treble, nor did they have the good looks or build quality of the

Heritage line."

Very well spoken Chops! I knew there was a reason I liked these behemoths. I might add that there is something very dynamic and immediate about the CW 'slam factor' as we like to call it. That 15" direct radiator just moves air like no horn low end can. And it digs pretty deep as well.

Michael

Hi I started low on the totem pole

Brought first klipsch Promedia Ultra

Then worked at apple store listening to ultra 2.0 and ifi

Then brought ifi

Thought, stop doing minor upgrades

Brought a pair of Cherry RF-83!

hopefully klipsch does not release something better like the premiere [:(] because then I would cry and my bank account would run away from me

Hi I started low on the totem pole

Brought first klipsch Promedia Ultra

Then worked at apple store listening to ultra 2.0 and ifi

Then brought ifi

Thought, stop doing minor upgrades

Brought a pair of Cherry RF-83!

hopefully klipsch does not release something better like the premiere [:(] because then I would cry and my bank account would run away from me

It's all fun and games until the RF-93 finished in Macassar ebony arrives ;)

For me it all started in 1977 when I heard a pair of KEF 105's at a friends house with a Denon table/DL103 cart, and some SS Mcintosh gear driving it. It was the nicest system I had ever heard. From that point forward I was hooked on audio.

When I joined the Air Force in 1978 I heard my first pair of La Scala's in the BX in Ramstein, Germany, and fell in love with them but couldn't afford them. Instead, I bought a pair of Infinity Column II's, which I owned until 1995.

When it was time to upgrade I bought a pair of Epic CF-2's which I loved. After moving to Florida in '01, I found a pair of Chorus I's on Audiogon and used them as mains moving the CF-2's to the rear. I then found a pair of Chorus II's on Agon and swapped the I's and II's as mains (selling the CF-2's to my brother-in-law) until finally settling on the 1's.

About a year later I found some beat up La Scala's on eBay that I got for $850, and have been in love with them ever since. I sold the Chorus II's to another Forum member to help pay for them, and have since added ALK's/Altec 511B's/Crites tweeters, and just can't imagine too many speakers sounding better than this combo.

Mike

Holy smokes Mike, I was stationed at Ramstein from 76 to 79! I worked in that very same BX part time and I went with the L65 Jubals over the Klipsch back then but only for size and WAF!

I was just telling pm what a small world it was, before you ask I was in the 86th SPS[;)]

Nobody liked me as I worked K9 and you know what that meant[:o]