Sad news today.

RTTR

Sad news. Our pets give us so much unconditionally. When you're faced with it, it's a tough choice to not spend the big bucks for operations and meds. You might feel like you're letting them down. In my experience and from what I've seen friends go through, it's best to simply provide love and comfort at home until the time comes to do the humane thing. I've seen friends put pets through expensive operations only to lose them or see them get other complications. I've only seen one miracle comeback and so much depends on the age and health of the dog. Unless the success of the operation is a reasonably sure thing, I wouldn't put a pet through it. It can be hard, especially for an active dog like a sheltie, to confine them after an operation and/or make them wear a cone over their head so they don't tear at stitches. Don't feel guilty if you opt to not put your dog through an expensive operation and treatment. All they want is love and to be spared too much pain. If you can give them comfort and let them peacefully pass away in your arms when the time comes, you've done well for them.

Been through it many times. The animal does not understand it has to be sedate and so forth. I have what we think is a Tibetan Spaniel with several small bumps adjacent to her spine. Love them and keep them comfortable I have witnessed puts less stress on the animal.

• 2 weeks later...

If you care so much about the dog, what are you willing to give up to help it get better? Take that turntable money and give it to your parents to help pay for the operation. Who's dog is it? If it's yours, why should they pay for it? Lesson 1; Life isn't fair, things happen, choices have to be made, Life goes on, think about what's best for your parents, and a little less time worrying about yourself.

If you care so much about the dog, what are you willing to give up to help it get better? Take that turntable money and give it to your parents to help pay for the operation. Who's dog is it? If it's yours, why should they pay for it? Lesson 1; Life isn't fair, things happen, choices have to be made, Life goes on, think about what's best for your parents, and a little less time worrying about yourself.

It's my parents dog, and the turntable thing won't be happening for a 6 months if not a year, it's a big thing to dive into.

I... Sometimes we want to hold on for so long we don't listen to our loved one being called to go explore elsewhere. Treasure the time you have spent together, and the precious time you still have.

Wow, Dave. This hits home for me, and it certainly isn't about my dog. I've had a rough three or four weeks.What you say is true, but acting upon it is quite another thing entirely.

Bruce