David Gilmour on TV

filmboydoug

By the way did you all know that there was an original member of PF named Sidney (maybe Sydney)?

I've always thought of Roger Waters as the artist and the other three as his magic instrument. While PF without Roger is good to me it lacks the creativity of the master artist and Rogers work without them is interesting but lacks the magic in performance.

BTW Syd Barrett's name is not Sydney, Syd is just a nickname his dad tagged him with.

• Like 1

Hmmmm....Pink Floyd. Truly took music to a new place. Saw "Dark Side of The Moon" tour in 74. I agree pretty much with a poster a ways back that the early Pink Floyd stuff was great. I don't think there were many songs on those albums that I had to think about as wether they were listenable or not. It was all great (to me). The later stuff after DSOTM seemed a little more spotty. IMHO. Though I thoroughly enjoy "Division Bell" .

Out on a cliff here....

I think Rock took a wierd turn somewhere in the mid-seventies and though the critics like to think Progressive music and Glam were the wrong turn. Talented musicians strutting their stuff was not where they wanted to see rock go. I think Punk took it south and it is just starting to recover from that abyss....though even to this day critics cheer these groups as they tumble deeper into negativity. The groups that got me through the 80's and 90's were Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straights, always Neil Young, some ECM jazz, and smatterings of Vangelis, and some New Age stuff that I should probably not admit to. Also, Sarah Mclachlan, Enya, Diana Krall, and a few other beautiful female singers (thank you very much). I still like to Rock and listen to some of the classic stuff from Zep and others.

I don't know who has picked up the torch for Rock and Roll, though I'm sure there are 100's of opinions. Personally, I like Porcupine Tree. I haven't heard any newer group come anywhere close to what they can do, or as talented.

I think better music is on the horizon as people still want to hear good music. Nice music if you will. I mean "The Beatles" were pretty 'nice' sounding if you know what I'm saying.

And you know what....some of those older guys still sound great...Clapton, Neil, Wakeman, Howe, Gilmour, etc.

enough....Bob

In the summer of 1968 (?) in Philadelphia, my least favorite brand of local beer (Schmidt's) sponsored an outdoor summer concert series in a football stadium. One of the shows was called "The English Invasion" which included The Troggs, Pink Floyd, and the Mandala (from Canada-go figure!) as well as a few others. I think there were 5 acts on the bill, so it was a long summer night of music.

It absolutely poured rain. We were all down on the playing field where the stage was set up and everyone got soaked to the bone. As soon as one band would start up the rain would begin again, and the performers would scurry offstage as there was minimal cover so all the equipment was getting soaked.

After a couple hours of these frustrating episodes of musicus interruptus, Pink Floyd finally took the stage. I think Syd was already institutionalized at this point, so Gilmore was handling guitar duties. They had just recorded "Saucer Full of Secrets" but this was still before "Umma Gumma" if memory serves.

It was a good thing there was no roof on the place, because Pink Floyd would have torn it off! They launched into a blistering continous set that included "See Emily Play," "Interstellar Overdrive," and I think the entire Saucer album. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" had Gilmore laying his Strat on top of a speaker cabinet and playing the slide lap-style, with generous feedback and echo added. As a 15 year-old high school kid, it was like nothing I had imagined as music.

The rain picked up again and started pouring onto the stage, and the PA system began sputtering. I thought the band would get electrocuted, but they were unstoppable--they just laughed and kept playing. At one point, Waters stepped up to the microphone and said "We came 3000 miles to do this set and we're going to keep playing even if we have to finish under five feet of water!" The crowd went nuts!

At the last song, Waters took off his Rickenbacker 4001 bass, held it over his head and on the final chord pitched the instrument across the stage--end-over-end like an underhanded tomahawk throw. It appeared to me that the bass came to rest in the general vicinity of the groin of the master of ceremonies, a particularly irritating Philadelphia DJ--but that may have just been wishful thinking on my part. In any case, the instrument appeared to survive the toss, and I think the rest of the show was cancelled. No matter, my friends and I ran to catch the last train back to the suburbs and buzzed the whole way home about the how cool Pink Floyd was.

I still feel that way, and really thought Gilmore sounded great on the Tonight show. Thanks to filmboydoug for the tip on Gilmore--what a great Forum this is!

Best in horns,

triceratops

Are you sure you didn't work for Creem magazine in an earlier life? Very nice concert review, even if decades later. I saved your post long ago about your seeing Tommy Bolin live. You were right there in the thick of things. I was about 5 years behind you so missed many of the truly great rock performances.

Thanks for the vivid memories. It's a wonder any of us remember a thing about back then.

Michael

'On an Island' is very good. Laid back. Very similiar in a lot of ways to 'Division Bell".

Both albums are heavily influenced by Gilmours wife..I think her name is Amy or something like that. Read this in an interview recently.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1325

Here's the interview with David Gilmour. Gilmour's also interviewed somewhere else ..........that might be where I read about his wife.

Bob

...You were right there in the thick of things. I was about 5 years behind you so missed many of the truly great rock performances.

Thanks for the vivid memories. It's a wonder any of us remember a thing about back then.

Michael

Thanks, Michael. It's kind of odd to be thinking back on those formative experiences so many years later. I was fortunate to see some stellar rock (and later jazz) performances in the late 60's and early 70's--I'm 53 now. Like you, I envied the folks who were a couple years older than me who saw some amazing shows in the early and mid 60's when I was too young--I suspect there are some Forum members who saw the Beatles before they stopped touring, or saw Dylan when he first went electric...

As for the memories, why is it that I can remember commercial jingles from my childhood, but can't remember what I had for breakfast?

Best in horns,

triceratops

Has anyone here heard his new album On an Island?

Yes, and it is very good.

Yes, very good, but somewhat subdued. However, Gilmour once again demostrates his much underrated guitarmanship (is that a real word?).

Agreed. I just listened to it again. I can't think of anybody who writes guitar solos that so perfectly match the tone and texture of the the rest of the song