Tweeter won't come on until hit with high volume

CapTurbo

I have a bunch of Klipsch in-ceiling speakers and one of them has always had a strange problem. For a while, I thought the tweeter did not work, but have since discovered that if I turn up the volume to a healthy, loud level, it will start working. Then, I can turn down the volume again and it will keep working for the duration of the time I want to listen to music in that room.

Anyone know why this happens, and how to fix it?

Hey, can you tell us how they're wired? - Is each speaker wired to a seperate, discrete channel off the amp, or maybe you're running multiple pairs off the same channel, and using *impedence matching volume controls* for each room/zone?

If using *IMVC*'s, where do you have the main amp volume set at?

It could just be a bad connection going to that speakers tweeter. Pull it down, and have a looksie, and while yer at it, try that speaker in another location.

I don't have any problem with high volume though. [;)]

The problem you describe is typically due to a high resistance connection in the tweeter wiring or within the tweeter itself. The high resistance keeps the tweeter silent till the signal level overcomes the resistance. Then you can back off the level and it will continue playing till next time when the same routine is required.

Check the leads from the crossover network to the tweeter. Also, try connecting the tweeter directly to your amp (careful with that volume control as you're not filtering the bass out of the tweeter). If the same symptoms exist with the tweeter wired direct, it may be a crack in the coil winding that is not repairable. Try manipulating the lead wires that go from the tweeter input terminals to the tweeter voice coil. Be gentle as these leads are fine gauge wire. I think you'll locate the problem doing these checks.

I had a similar problem with a screw down connection which I thought I'd tightened. It was a woofer connection.

I will guess that I had a poor connection just making contact at a few points. The oxidation built up and that formed an insulator. With enought voltage there might be a spark or heating which breaks through the insulation. They might be some electrolyidic issues and moisture.

Snugging thing up solved it.

I've not run into anything similar with voice coils. I've blown a few. Once I had binding from foreign material. Rust in a car door. But of course Bob is the expert.

Gil