Free empty La Scala cab in Stroudsburg, PA

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

I have a free empty La Scala cab, black, kinda beat up. I just don't have a use for it and it's taking up space. I am missing the screws that screw the bottom plate onto cover the woofer cavity. I'll get pics up in a bit. I have to warn you, it's been knocked around, so it's rough. Just hoping someone will have a use for it. Otherwise I have to throw it out.

It's totally empty, no horns, drivers, crossover, etc.

-Jon

Any idea if/how something like this might be shipped?

Ironically, I have a use for a single LaScala and I don't mind it being beat up. I'm placing two of my LaScalas inside a cubbyhole in a wall (the typical closet space under a stairwell). I want a LaScala for my center channel.

I'm planning on doing Al's Trachorn upgrade which will give me two full tweeters and two midrange horns (I already have the JBL tweets). I was going to look for a beater LaScala & place it inside the closet, making a hole (but leaving the stud) where the woofer exits. I was then going to SEPERATE the horns out of the speaker and build their own little box that I can countersink into the wall ABOVE where I'll have either a big screen tv or screen.

Since my idea will have the LaScala totally hidden from view, a beater is perfect for me. The fact that you don't have any drivers is fine too as I'll have two of them as extras, all I need to do is nab a K-33.

Soooooooooo... if I raise my hand first & high enough, any idea how to ship? (my expense of course)

Hello,

I'll have to talk to the local packaging place, they use UPS and DHL. I had it shipped to me with FedEx, but that's how it got turned into a beater in the first place. However, these guys know how to package stuff properly, they've shipped numerous guitar amps, tubes, speakers etc. from me and I've never had any complaints. I'll take some measurements and see if they can give a quote. Where do you live in Tennesee? In particular, what is the zipcode? That'll help get a more accurate quote.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I might add this (if it ends up coming my way)... I won't need the top part and literally, it could be sawn off (if you've got the means to do it safely).

All I'd really be interested in is the bass bin since I'd be having the other drivers mounted seperate from the box anyway (if I had it centered on a stud, the stud won't affect the bass but will be in direct conflict with the other drivers)

That (cutting the top section off) would double duty to make the box smaller AND lighter.

Interesting on where to send... would it fit in my car? (reflecting on my current LaScalas)...not easily. Might the bass bin alone fit... hmmm

We'll try two ways

Work zip is 37922

Home zip is 37742

perhaps we'll see which one is cheaper.

Ya know... if you WERE able to saw the top section off, would it then be of a size where U-Haul might have an appliance box? I just sent my Academy out and used their 27" TV box, worked like a charm.

Box had handles on the sides and cost something like $11.00. I might add that if anyone else's hand pops up and are willing to pick it up locally... then clearly that would be easier on you (and them?) so don't close that door on someone.

Richard

Hey Cornwalled,

If you have not found a taker yet I might be interested. I have some extra drivers/horns and my inlaws are up in the WB/Scranton area. We will be traveling up there in the next few weeks. Typically we go up 81, but we could swing a little east first. Arn't you fairly close to Allentown/Bethelem/Philly area? Are you close to the N.E. Extension of the turnpike at all?

How rough is rough is my only question? If the plywood is solid and just needs veneer, that would be right up my alley!

Hello,

I am actually in Shawnee, about 45 minutes from Allentown. Coming from Allentown you would take 22 East to 33 North, to Route 80 East, getting off at exit 310. It's the last exit before New Jersey.

As far as cabinet condition, the corners on the top are somewhat dented in. Also the veneer is chipped/scratched. You would need to reveneer it, and could probably use some filler/putty to fill out the corners, or just round them off and have a smother/less angular look.

-Jon

These "beauties" spent 3 decades in a bar in Ohio. They're now in a high school band practice room. The extremely rough exteriors were quickly cleaned up with Bondo and aluminum trim. Not the look for a living room, but then La Scalas are happier when not in a living room.

Hi Jon,

1. I'm still interested

2. Did you find anything out about how annoying it may be for you to ship?

3. Given the pics posted above, would you rate it better or worse? (worse doesn't bother me at ALL, as long as bottom end is functionally sound (ie, no holes in doghouse))

4. Labels, scratches, worn finish... none of that bothers me in the least.

5. In event that someone wants to pick it up locally and you prefer to do that kind of trade, I completely understand...I might just ask that you let me know so I don't keep wondering.

[:D]

Hey Coytee,

It's probably a little bit worse than the above pics, but not too bad. I beleive everything is structurally sound. I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to talk to the shipper today. Instead I got to spend most of my day getting lost in New Jersey. Oh, how I HATE the turnpike! I will try to get it taken care of tomorrow.

I apologize for being a little slow on this, I've just been so busy lately, I'm exhausted.

-Jon

I have a friend who lives in stroudsburg, PA who has agreed to pick these up. If any of the below and prior intrest don't pan out, let me know and I'll arrange the pickup.

I don't want to put words into anyones mouth but I'm not sure it's a pair (your reference to picking "these" up). My understanding is, it's for a singular cabinet that is void of all drivers, horns, networks and even the screws that hold the lid on the bassbins bottom.

I've still got interest and my interest won't wane. I need a third LaScala and by irony, I will end up with an extra squawker & tweeter so my only extra need will be woofer and network (which I plan to upgrade on my current pair so I'll just get three instead of two).

So it's up to Jon to decide if he wants to deal with shipping them or not (at my expense of course).

If he decides to not deal with that, I can understand. If he's willing to jump through those hoops, then as soon as I hear a dollar amount, my check is in the mail.

Ha Ha, looks like your point of about the use of "these" may apply to "them".

"So it's up to Jon to decide if he wants to deal with shipping them or not (at my expense of course)."

in terms of shipping. I shipped 2 empty lascala boxes to IL and costs was 180.00, shipping them (2) back to me in NY with lascala's only costs 270.00, apparently the bulk of the costs for shipping an oversize item has more to due with the size than the weight.