Heresy Model TH-SR3

Am new to forum; bear with me on protocol, etc; Have pair of Klipschorns (original owner KC-BB's) and 4 pairs or Heresy's ("acquired" during last few years...)

Acquired 2 pairs of the TH-SR3 Heresy's about 3 years ago; s/n's are 8624420, 22, 25, and 26; were in a "dinner" theater, or something like that; Grills have black retention screws with washer "cones", appear to be OEM. Checked all else carefully, cabinetry is birch plywood, no MDF noted in cabinet construction. Drivers and crossover original, very clean, etc. Work perfectly, now system "A" on two AU-919's, respectively, in home theater arrangement in living room. Model and s/n stickers on back dated 1980.

Several questions:

(1) What are they exactly... When were they made?

(2) Apparently mounted by someone drilling hole through sides for eyehooks.... Someone filled in holes with plastic wood, etc., but is poor workmanship, spray painted in a "patch", looks bad. I would like to fill in the holes properly, and refinish the sides (or the entire cabinets if necessary); the finish is OEM "textured" black. Any advice on this type of surface, type of paint that was used, ideas, etc. I would like to redo this to factory specs, if possible.

(3) If not possible, or this type of paint is not readily available, advise method of stripping, and will prep, sand, etc., and paint with #40 sheen, black laquer to match factory finish on my Klipschorns.

Thanks for any advice or assistance;

I think what you have there are some early pro 'heresies' which now are like the KPT250 in a wedge style cabinet. Are the drivers the same as normal Heresy or have you been inside them? The crossover likely has protection for the tweeters. You might find heavy duty woofers K42...

That pebble finish is a texture spatter that is sprayed on the cabinet then black is applied. I'd guess just use coarse sandpaper to grind that stuff off. You'll probably find birch plywood underneath. They used bondo at the factory to fill in blemishes so don't be surprised if you find a few pink patches.

If you're up to spraying lacquer, I'd say that all normal prep precautions should be taken, ie sand down smooth, build up patches, prime and paint. the #40 sheen is correct, that is what was used at the factory.

Good luck with the project, nice herd of Klipsch you have there.

Michael

No, actually what he has there are the Theater versions of the Heresy (TH-SR3 = Theater Surround 3 Way's) II's. The SR3 means that they are a 3-way, most were the SR2's which was just the woofer and midrange, with a sealed hole where the tweeter was supposed to be. They are circa 1986 and are identical to Heresy II's except that the grills were secured with screws hidden by black decorator plastic caps. The Heresy II drivers are flush mounted to the motorboard and they will have banana plug inputs on the back.

They are, in fact, birch plywood, with exact same dimensions as the HBR's. I will however have to unscrew the drivers (they are mounted from the front, and the rear is solid, with no screws, just the circular "hole" with the logo, model #, and speaker binding posts. I will post the driver ID's and crossover ID when I look inside.

When you prime the birch before putting on the #40, what do you prime it with?

V/R//MWM

These are great speakers; As soon as I finish the "cabinet refinish" project, I will turn my attention to the the other two pairs of HBR's which were poorly stained. Hopefully, when I get finished, I'll have four beautiful pairs of factory black laquer finish Heresy's. Then I will turn my attention to scratches and lacquer nicks and chips on the Klispschorns... I need some experience working with the lacquer before touching those. V/R MWM

I would like to fill in the holes

properly, and refinish the sides (or the entire cabinets if necessary);

the finish is OEM "textured" black. Any advice on this type of surface,

type of paint that was used, ideas, etc. I would like to redo this to

factory specs, if possible.

Try some black paintable "Pickup Bed Liner" spray paint they sell at

automotive parts store. Although I'm not sure which exact product

Klipsch uses, it'll produce a very similar durable black textured

finish... and is used by several of their competitors.

On the other hand, it is different from the black laquer used on the consumer product....

ROb

Carefully unscrewed covers and woofer; woofer is model K-22-K; has a serial number on it, but I'm 8 feet off the ground, and doing a balancing act on a ladder (they are on top of a very big book case... Did not want to fall down and not be able to get up...

Crossover has a quite large "footprint" and is says in red letters, TH-SR-3. It looks as big as or bigger than the Klipschhorn crossover(?). The caps are smaller; all wires are the factory white with the red and black "dashes"; interior is immaculate, appears never to have been opened, etc. Did not unscrew mid or tweeter. There is also a piece of gray fine grain foam rubber that is between the woofer/ crossover area and the mid/tweeter area. Did not try to pull on it, etc. The face board is MDF, but everything else is birch plywood.