Censcala project underway...

chops

"Anyway, my offer stands good. I have Sun, M, Tu, Wed off this week, could probably have your stuff on the way before I go back to work Thursday."

Hey, Tom. I know you love to cut stuff...and I know you are good. You interested in doin something for me? You offered it to me before.......look for a PM.

Chops. Nice to see the project going in the direction you are going. Remind us again exactly what XO you are using. Is it the Cornwall Type B mod with a 7uF midcap and a .5mHy inductor in series with the squawker?

jc

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chops. Nice to see the project going in the direction you are going. Remind us again exactly what XO you are using. Is it the Cornwall Type B mod with a 7uF midcap and a .5mHy inductor in series with the squawker?

jc

Hey jc,

That's exactly what the network is, including 4uF on the tweeter and 68uF on the woofer. [;)]

Charles

Charles:

" Have you at least given the Altec a listen yet? It's definately an improvement over stock or the Pyle horn. I hope you get to get the Altec(s) up and running in your system sometime soon. You won't regret it"

Yeah, I was using is it on top of the La Scala we were borrowing for awhile as our center channel. I liked it very much, too! We would still maybe have the La Scala here, or I would have offered to purchase it, but it was just hard to work out with our room decor and the preferred lower viewing height of our plasma TV. It's just one of those compromise sorts of things, I guess. I used to say most of the movies we watch are more plot and story oriented than on sound effects, but I have been really surprised to find how much ambient/environmental sort of information is present even on those DVDs. More recently, though, we've watched some movies that had thrilling sonic effects; and it's on those that I'm aware that the center just isn't keeping up with the rest of the system. I was ignorant, actually, about how much information actually comes from the center channel!

I loaned the Altec to a friend here in Houston, and he liked it very, very much. He bought two of his own, and modified them to fit his K-horn cabinets. That's also something I would love to be planning on doing this summer, but that kind of work is just going to have to wait for a few months.

I had also used a larger Klipsch Synergy center channel, which was a few dB more efficient than what we have right now, and placed it on the same shelf the TV was on. It didn't obstruct the screen in anyway, but tended to draw attention to itself visually because of the contrasting color. It didn't bother me, though[:)] For music, the center we have right now is actually pretty decent, because it fills the center in a very subtle way -- just how I had the level adjusted when we were using the minibox. What's nice about the Lexicon, though, as it offers steering options that the minibox does not. An amazing piece of equipment the Lexicon is, and amazingly clear and transparent sounding for its complexity.

The other thing I thought about, which would be easy to do under other circumstances, had to do with integrating a center channel enclosure within the shelf used for the TV. Imagine a horizontal rectangular box, the tops and bottoms of which extending outward about a foot or so on either side. The drivers would be installed in the middle. I suspect some isolated would be good (nice rubber feet or Vibrapods) on the bottom of the TV, but shaking bass wouldn't probably be much of a problem since the center would be rolled off anyway.

Again, thanks for posting all this work, it's been fun to watch!

Erik

It's not much if any worse? I thought I was very civil in that PM....

"

Look, I don't know what's gone on ... thanks, but no thanks."

Sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with that PM.

Seriously? The email and your post imply that the explanation

given to you is highly unlikely, and your personal speculation is the

only possible truth. I'm confident had YOU received a similar

email that you would have been infuriated by it.

Look Charles, I'm not trying to make things worse, but someone has to

tell you that your choice of words doesn't reflect well on you.

Like I said earlier, say less and don't draw conclusions based on

assumptions... they sometimes come back to bite you.

I'm guessing you aren't an entrepreneur nor work in public

relations... those type of things would get you into all kinds of

trouble....

ROb

PS: BTW, no one called, or even implied, that you a liar, but you did

both towards Tom on several occasions. Ironically, if you verify

his post records... his story checks out.