Academy anyone?

oldtimer

I noticed on the Honolulu craigslist that our friend bdbaba who has not been here for a while has listed his black finish Academy for $450. I will get it and tote it back to the mainland for a forum member, then ship it if necessary for a nominal fee plus shipping if anyone is interested. It would be safer than shiping all the way from the islands.

Aloha Oldtimer,

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier. I just brought the academy over to the mainland myself. It is at my brother's house in San Clemente, CA. I put it up on CL here for $450. I will drop it down to $400 for anyone here that wants it. It does show some wear, mostly on the bottom where the last owner--and original owner--had it on a white rack of some sort. I have more pictures I can email to you if you would like.

I am still using the Heresy 2 as my center--anyone have a cheap pair of Fortes or a single Forte they want to get rid of that I can take back on the plane with me?

Let me know.

Cheers.

Uh, if it is still available, I guess I could take it. Local pickup as I work in Long Beach and live in Riverside, I could take the 74 home after picking up in San Clemente.

On second thought, I am using Forte 1s as mains and have a Heresy 1 as center, much like you. I noticed on Craigslist that you are waiting for another Forte for your center. It seems that you like the Heresy as a center more than the Academy, is this true? What is the biggest difference between the two as centers?

If I am currently with a better setup than the Academy, then I will stay with what I have.

Just asking.

Aloha Cal,

You are more then welcome to come and pick it up if you want--I would just have to set it up with my Bro, or we can work it out that I can meet you there if we do it before my wife and I head back to Hawaii on the 9th. I do have it boxed nice and snug for shipment at the moment, but it is no problem to take it out for you.

As far as why we liked the Heresy 2 better... It seemed to my wife and I that it was a bit clearer. The difference was very minor really, but everytime I switched back and forth, my wife always liked the Heresy, so that is what we kept. Not very scientific, but what can you do. I will try and post some pics of the Academy to show its problem areas just to be upfront--they are minor, but there you go. Looks worse in the photos too. I am sure if you knew what you were doing, it would be an easy touch -up.

Have you done any improvements on the X-overs in your Fortes? Just curious. I am trying to split a pair of Fortes with Chris--Popbumper. We are still looking for a nice pair. I might have him do my X-overs when I get some free cash.

Ok, it looks like a deal!

My Fortes are also black with the same grills so the visual
match will be perfect! I have not done any work to the Xovers in any of my
Klipsch speakers except for the 1 Heresy 1 that is doing center duty now. I
know that Fzninvt and other have said that the Xover update helps the Academy a
lot and if I do the Fortes at the same time, the difference should be a nice
one.

I get off work at 1:30 pm and am in Riverside at about 3:00
pm. I could pick it up at your Bros house or you could come over and see it in
its new home. Either way, I dont think getting this done by the time you
leave will be a problem. Just say the time and lets do it.

Like you, we are currently showing our front PJ on the wall
but that will be changed as funds allow. Our setup is 109 diagonal in a HD
format. I do zoom out when the format of the movie is wide screen but the
layout of the air-conditioning ducts wont allow for a constant height setup.

Now, what do I do with a pair of H1s that have new Xovers
????? The shop is an option, next to the JBL 4312s that are out there. Perhaps
for sale. I am not sure at this point. They wont go to waste though!

Looks like a nice Academy there. Bd, I noticed in the one photo showing the Forte's that they seem too close to the wall and could use some toe in. Do you move them out when you use them? Nice looking projector image by the way.